Fordmods Logo

paintwork oops ! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: paintwork oops !
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1999 au series 1

NSW, Australia

hi guys ! yesterday i spent all day rubbing and scrubbing my paint in the shade of my garage only to get the car outside and nearly die of shock !i used the meguiars scratch x 2.0 !no instructions on bottle !so i did what the fellow at the local auto shop said & that was to put it on 2 panels then come back to the first one and start buffing it off !all by hand mind you !but this stuff had dried by then and was an absolute b..ch to buff off !so after 7 hrs i put on the meguiars 2.0 tech wax !this was so easy great job ! then the scary part !i drove my car out into the 40 deg heat and there it was !a lovely shining bonnet with what looks like a lot of left over scratch x and buff marks were i had to scrub a little harder to get the chalky crap off ! now sealed in under the freshly waxed bonnet !!! lots of dark and light patches everywere! the rest of the car looks smick 'but the bonnet is a problem !i there was no galaxie blue paint on my terry towling buffing rags or on the applicator pads !so no paint removed luckily! question is !whats the damage !do you think this is left over product ! is there a product to remove the wax and the left over scratch doctor !and then then maybe buff the bonnet up ! if someone out there has used this scratch x 2.0 are you supposed to buff it off while its still wet ! please reply! :cry:

Post subject: Re: paintwork oops !
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

What was that mate?

Try some punctuation....

Sorry mate, but in order for someone to help you, we need to be able to understand.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

peetys here wrote:
hi guys, yesterday i spent all day rubbing and scrubbing my paint in the shade of my garage only to get the car outside and nearly die of shock. I used the meguiars scratch x 2.0, no instructions on bottle.

So I did what the fellow at the local auto shop said & that was to put it on 2 panels then come back to the first one and start buffing it off. All by hand mind you, but this stuff had dried by then and was an absolute b..ch to buff off.

So after 7 hrs I put on the meguiars 2.0 tech wax, this was so easy great job. Then the scary part I drove my car out into the 40 deg heat and there it was, a lovely shining bonnet with what looks like a lot of left over scratch x and buff marks were I had to scrub a little harder to get the chalky crap off.

Now sealed in under the freshly waxed bonnet !!! lots of dark and light patches everywhere. The rest of the car looks smick, but the bonnet is a problem.

I there was no galaxie blue paint on my terry towling buffing rags or on the applicator pads, so no paint removed luckily. Question is, whats the damage, do you think this is left over product?

Is there a product to remove the wax and the left over scratch doctor, and then then maybe buff the bonnet up?

If someone out there has used this scratch x 2.0 are you supposed to buff it off while its still wet?

Please reply! :cry:

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

come on dude ! i have only been a member of this good site for 2 days ! its been a pleasure so far ! ! you will scare people away from this site leaving comments like that! what part of my post did you not understand !& i'll try & explain it again !sorry! i am new to computers & not overly educated! but i do my best!

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Try some of that meguires quick detailer or whatever its called, pretty sure that will remove wax and the residue with little to no effort

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

peetys here wrote:
come on dude ! i have only been a member of this good site for 2 days ! its been a pleasure so far ! ! you will scare people away from this site leaving comments like that! what part of my post did you not understand !& i'll try & explain it again !sorry! i am new to computers & not overly educated! but i do my best!

No mate, not trying to scare you off, you are more than welcome.

Your first post seemed like 1 whole sentence thats all, and makes it hard to read.

Try to work on your punctuation a little mate.

Cheers :)

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

meguiars quick detailer '' i will go out & buy some on the weekend and see what happens !thanks bud.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

peetys here wrote:
meguiars quick detailer '' i will go out & buy some on the weekend and see what happens !thanks bud.

Try washing it with truckwash if that doesnt work or some thick crappy soap like dishwashing liquid that usually has a habit of stipping all the wax off

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Use a heavy duty car wash mate, probably wash it twice and that should remove the wax. Then hit it with the meguiars scratch-x again. I have used it plenty of times, but you need to rub it into the area a little at a time, and then remove it before it dries using a clean buffing pad or microfibre cloth. Do not let that s**t dry! As you found out the hard way :P
It is basically a mild cutting compound, so the work is done in the application.
That 2.0 Tech wax is brilliant stuff though, the old Lane has never looked better since I started using it.
Good luck mate, and happy polishing :mrgreen:

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

CT18 Truckwash should do the job of removing all the wax.

just mix it fairly strong (maybe 2 capfuls to a bucket) and go over the car a couple of times with the sponge and that should remove a good deal of the wax.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

theres some good ideas ! i will have to wait to do these repairs now as there is more rain & thunder storms forecast everyday for the 7 days or so' its storming as we speak!
so strip the wax off & attack it with the scratch x hey ? no worries !
your not wrong about this product being a bi..h to remove once dry"
it took me hrs to rub the crap off!
the salesman at' ricebarn' did not even tell me it was a cutting compound. all he said was that this scratch x was a great product for removing swirls & fine scratches .
i use it myself & its great was his words .
next time i buy a paint product maybe the smart thing to do would be to ask all relevant questions about the product being purchased before applying it so as not to destroy my lovely paintwork.thanks again... ps.. is my grammar & punctuation improving !!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

ScratchX is generally only used for removing small paint defects like bird poo burns, swapped paint from other cars etc., not used for the entire car. Use it carefully to remove the small marks, then use Meguiars Swirl Remover (a couple of times for bad swirls) followed by their Tech Wax or Colour Restorer. If you're still not happy, do a final coat of Carnuba Wax to seal it all in.

Use their foam applicator pads to apply all these stages and a very soft cotton towel to polish it all off- this avoids further scratches. Hope this helps.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks so much for the reply mike ! that does help me plenty !
i have huge fruit bats flying around my au every night also s**t..g everywhere!
if & when they do crap on my car' i could use the scratch x to remove any damage caused by there very acidic poo ! yes !!

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU forte ford

WA, Australia

I would not use dishwashing liquid of any type to wash you car.
They all contain salt.
cheers

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

if i find 1 more spot of rust on the old girl i'll scream ! i dont need salt near her !!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next