Fordmods Logo

Polishing Advice 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Polishing Advice
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Wondering what brands of polishes people use to cut and polish their cars? I'm looking for something to rejuvinate the paint work on my ED.

Post subject: Re: Polishing Advice
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

for polish dad uses nufinish once a year car polish (more like twice a yr)
and its never marked anything great stuff

but ive learned much from mates(retired car detailers) about how to care for paint and ull be amazed what hurts it

the old fashioned chamois dries out the oil in the paint create oxidation (thats bad)
use a microfiber chamois does not do that also better for no paint scratches

dont wash the car with a sponge as sponges just push dirt along and off the car (scratchs paint)
use for eg: Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt

dont wash ur car with dish washing liquid this is a more potent cleaner and will remove oil and wax from the car making it crack and dry out and fade (more suit to alloy rims that have no paint)

if you wash ur car with a wash on wax always clay bar the windshield afterwards (will remove the thin wax from the windshield) otherwise ur wipers will screech

if you find rain sticks to your windshield try applying some rain X

polishing a car should only be done when the paint is new as it lifts paint and removes it (hides scratches this way same as buffing) this is bad for the paint scratch removal stuff does work well but once a yr you prob should use the mothers 3 step system on it (only if you really love the car otherwise 3yrs will do average cars) and to always wax the car in some way or another every week if possible do this and ull never have to repaint your car

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
for polish dad uses nufinish once a year car polish (more like twice a yr)
and its never marked anything great stuff

but ive learned much from mates(retired car detailers) about how to care for paint and ull be amazed what hurts it

the old fashioned chamois dries out the oil in the paint create oxidation (thats bad)
use a microfiber chamois does not do that also better for no paint scratches

dont wash the car with a sponge as sponges just push dirt along and off the car (scratchs paint)
use for eg: Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt

dont wash ur car with dish washing liquid this is a more potent cleaner and will remove oil and wax from the car making it crack and dry out and fade (more suit to alloy rims that have no paint)

if you wash ur car with a wash on wax always clay bar the windshield afterwards (will remove the thin wax from the windshield) otherwise ur wipers will screech

if you find rain sticks to your windshield try applying some rain X

polishing a car should only be done when the paint is new as it lifts paint and removes it (hides scratches this way same as buffing) this is bad for the paint scratch removal stuff does work well but once a yr you prob should use the mothers 3 step system on it (only if you really love the car otherwise 3yrs will do average cars) and to always wax the car in some way or another every week if possible do this and ull never have to repaint your car

You have no Idea.....

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

all that info has come from real retired car detailers m8 that made a living out of making cars look new

if its so bad please correct it instead of just saying u got no idea

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

i have had bits of my car resprayed so i got my spray painter to cut and polish my car. i just wax it with Meguiars wet look wax. works well

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]