Repco thermofan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Repco thermofan
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I recently bought a Repco 16" thermofan to replace the belt driven fan on my clevo. Just need to know any tricks on how to take the blades off so I can reverse the fan (comes as a blow thru). The instructions say remove the circlip and turn the blades over.

I have removed the circlip but the blades dont come off....Ive tried tapping with a hammer (not forcing into the bearings) and there is nowhere to get a screwdriver in to lever it off. I rang Repco but they said the blades usually pull off after the circlip is removed.

Has anyone ran into this before?

Thanks

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Ok all fixed, it seems that some of the larger fans are a bit hard to get off. I broke mine doing it but got a replacement under warranty :) . The replacement came off no worries. If you are going to put one of these fans on be aware that they come standard as a blow thru type.
To change to a pull thru you will need to reverse the fan blades and the polarity of the motor. When U go in to buy a fan change the blades around while in the shop, saves a lot of hassle.
You will also need to purchase the thermo sensor seperately.

Cheers.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

thanks for the tip buddy, i bought a 14" (or a 15" cant remember now) and i had to reverse the blades and they came off pretty easy so yeh the larger ones must be harder. Are you using the cable tie type mounts for the thermal?

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I havent put the motor back together yet, still waiting on the heads to come back.

I think I will be using them, not sure yet. I'll make a plan tomorrow, I still have to Ford shroud which I could use as a mount. I dont really like the look of the tie mounts or the fact that if they break the fan falls into the motor.

Did your fan come with a plug on the fan itself but no other half of the plug in the wiring kit?

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Benny looked after you with a warenty?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

yeah my fan came with half the plug so we just made up some terminals to stick on the end of the plug and added some thick wire to run.... id be carfull using those long cable tie things that go through the radiator, cuz we did that but 2 days later it had dragged downwards and ripped holes in my core :(..my brand new f**k radiator!! wasnt happy.. my mate made up some brackets for the fan to bolt on to. he tack welded the brackets to the top and bottom on the radiator... turned out awsome..

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:55 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Yeah Benny fixed the warranty up no worries :D

Ahhhh nasty about the radiator. Well I won't be using those, I'll adapt the shroud and make a few brackets. I dont want to stuff an ESP radiator for the sake of a bit of plastic. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
Yeah Benny fixed the warranty up no worries :D

Ahhhh nasty about the radiator. Well I won't be using those, I'll adapt the shroud and make a few brackets. I dont want to stuff an ESP radiator for the sake of a bit of plastic. Thanks for the heads up!
Davies Craig are the same. I bought a 16 inch years ago and had the same dramas.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:19 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I took a quick look and its going to be easy to modify the shroud to support the fan. Just have to fire up the hot knife and maybe a little plastic welding. Mite post a few pics.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]