Fordmods Logo

respry advice. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: respry advice.
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 799

Joined: 19th Apr 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

Location: Tamborine Mountain
QLD, Australia

got an ef falcon that has just had a whole heap of panel work done and i don't think it's worth having mismatched paint all over due to fading, sun damage and the likes.
So what I was thinking was a respay in the standard colour with a gold pearl that I have hiding in the shed. The colour is the cardinal red metallic. If I was to sand it back (not bare metal) add 2x coats primer, a light sand, 2x coats of a base red, then 4-5x coats of the cardinal red with the pearl, another light sand, 2-4x coats of clear then a cut and polish would this work out okay.
is the ef paint 2pac or acrylic. I've worked with acrylic before on my xf ute came out great, but if the ef is 2pac can someone give me some advice on how to respray it.
any advice would come as a graet help.
:?: :? :?: :? :?: :?

 

_________________

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:21 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2449

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB-s

Location: Manjimup
WA, Australia

Might be worth asking a local panelbeater/spray painter for some advice. Wouldnt want to spend all that time and then screw up!

 

_________________

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 972

Joined: 6th Feb 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

Location: S.E Subs
VIC, Australia

if your going to spray in pearl u might want to get a pro to do it, that way it has a garuntee. and u dont have to worry bout hireing a booth

 

_________________

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

isn't the pearl supposed to be mixed with the clear coats not with the colour coat?

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: respry advice.
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

ED911 wrote:
got an ef falcon that has just had a whole heap of panel work done and i don't think it's worth having mismatched paint all over due to fading, sun damage and the likes.
So what I was thinking was a respay in the standard colour with a gold pearl that I have hiding in the shed. The colour is the cardinal red metallic. If I was to sand it back (not bare metal) add 2x coats primer, a light sand, 2x coats of a base red, then 4-5x coats of the cardinal red with the pearl, another light sand, 2-4x coats of clear then a cut and polish would this work out okay.
is the ef paint 2pac or acrylic. I've worked with acrylic before on my xf ute came out great, but if the ef is 2pac can someone give me some advice on how to respray it.
any advice would come as a graet help.
:?: :? :?: :? :?: :?


Original EF paint is a 2 Pack. 2 pack paints really need to be done inside a booth, as the 2 pack takes longer to dry than acrylic. Whilst the paint is drying inside a backyard garage, the finish is often damaged by bugs or dust etc.

Don't sand metallic colours back prior to applying the clear, you will ruin it.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 799

Joined: 19th Apr 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

Location: Tamborine Mountain
QLD, Australia

thanks madmax. not planning on using a booth but ive got a big marque i've used before fitted out with fans and filters has a complete floor aswell. Done a few jobs inside with acrylic and came out pretty well. I was hoping it was acrylic :( but i might still give it a go. other than not sanding it back before the clear coats go on any thing else i should know?

 

_________________

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Are you planning on stripping all the bits off and doing it properly?

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 799

Joined: 19th Apr 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

Location: Tamborine Mountain
QLD, Australia

no not planning on stripping or doing door jambs and the like. just respraying in the standard colour, should look a bit better than it is with a new spray job looks very blotchy at the mo'

 

_________________

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

ED911 wrote:
no not planning on stripping or doing door jambs and the like. just respraying in the standard colour, should look a bit better than it is with a new spray job looks very blotchy at the mo'


No I mean taking door mouldings, door handles, trims etc off.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 799

Joined: 19th Apr 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

Location: Tamborine Mountain
QLD, Australia

yeah sorry mate thought you were talking about panel by panel. Um yeah pretty much everything that i dont want painted :P

 

_________________

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 927

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I always thought that pearl was an additive to the clear coat, not the colour coat.

I'm looking at spraying mine in heritage green again and then doing a champagne candy coat over the top for a cool glimmer that matches the rims.

candy is an additive to the clear coat as well.

ANyway, that would've been happening soon but I had to blow all my money on my 21st :(

 

_________________

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Smackdown wrote:
I always thought that pearl was an additive to the clear coat, not the colour coat.

I'm looking at spraying mine in heritage green again and then doing a champagne candy coat over the top for a cool glimmer that matches the rims.

candy is an additive to the clear coat as well.

ANyway, that would've been happening soon but I had to blow all my money on my 21st :(


I believe your right, pearl goes into the clear, that way you get the colour change in differant lights.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:19 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names