Setting Up Driving Lights 

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
the idea being that driving lights are legally only allowed to be on when high beam is on, and when on low beam, all driving/spot lights must be off, the only exception being foglights

Yeah well I do believe 1 out 10 cars on the Roads these days might not know that! Cause I am always seeing them with their Driving lights on. So when are you allowed to have driving lights on ? Is just in Foggy conditions like ya say?

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

there's the problem of the law existing and the law actually being enforced

technically the cops should be giving everyone a ticket if they have thier foglights on when unnecesary, but then the cops would be pulling people continuously

the other part of the problem is that the majority of the cars you see actually have fog lights, which have different regulations regarding switching, mounting, etc, but a lot of people install small driving lights as fog lights......

driving/spot lights= must only be able to be switched on when high beam is selected, and must be able to be independantly turned off while high beam is on, also must be austomatically turned off when low beam is selected

Banned

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

I found on the net a while ago about the legality of foglights and driving lights. I can't remember the site but it went something like this.

Fog lights can be used any time of the day, providing they mounted low and are pointed down onto the road in front. The exception is yellow fog lights which can only be used during poor visablity conditions ie foggy.
Maximum wattage 55watts.

Driving lights or spot lights must be switched with the high beam switch and include a separate switch. The use of Driving lights in builtup areas is prohibited.

So it depends on the beam the light puts out, flood or spot, where you mount them, how you wire them up, and the colour of the lens.

Check my gallery for fog lights mounted into el front bar. these are wired as fog lights, they point down onto the road equal to lowbeam, and have only a 55watt globe.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

I intend to use the lights for a short period of time only when I need to see in the darkness oif the Hinterland near where I work. All I need to do is hook them up to the switch and that way I can control wether or not they are on.

I just need to know the wiring diagam for the switch does anyone know how the wiper works, cuz it seems to me that there is an on/off section that I need to tap into.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3