Fordmods Logo

Setting Up Driving Lights 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Setting Up Driving Lights
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

How ahrd would it be to put driving lights in and set them up to run off the on/off switch of the rear wiper blade switch thingy?

I dont think that made sense.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

just set them up as normal and use the rear wiper switch as the driving light switch..... or do you want a wiring diagram?

Banned

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

If it aint to much hassle I would appreciate it.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

umnm why use the rear wiper switch? as when u want to use the rear wiper the driving lights will turn on! unless u dont have a rear wiper...

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

only wagons have the rear wipers - so assuming his is a sedan, he has sourced the rear wiper switch to use as a dedicated drive lights switch.

i've got just a silver toggle switch for mine mounted to the bottom left of the steering column - that works quite well - keeps it out of the way, but isn't difficult to turn on/off - i've also got a red LED mounted on the dash to indicate when they're on, so that i dont accidently leave them on at any time! :P just another option to consider thats all!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED shagger wagon

QLD, Australia

you can actually get toggle switches with a red LED on the end to let you know when its on- that's what i've got in my wagon

1994 ED wagon, 5-post bullbar, IPF 900XS spots, UHF

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Well Ive got the rear wiper switch out of a wagon, and have that sitting in the proper position. Then i just wired it up, the light comes on when the lights are on, and have a relay sitting down near the front lights. Rather simple, but in hindsight id wire mine up different, and have my relay closer to the firewall to save on cable. But thats only because my spotlights are mounted off of my bonnet so the wires have to go back to the hinge

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

ahh cool as!
i c now!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Quote:
only wagons have the rear wipers - so assuming his is a sedan, he has sourced the rear wiper switch to use as a dedicated drive lights switch.

Correct. My EF is a sedan and the rear wiper switch is the on/off motion which will tell me if its on or not. Saves putting in a yucky aftermarket switch that sticks out.

I just need to know how I can wire it up to the switch so if anyone could tell/explain it to me I would appreciate it very much.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well heres the diagrams you need, just whipped them up in paint. Im about to go have a look under the bonnet, and behind the switch to tell you what wires you need to cut :)

Edit: The first one is a little harder to wire, as you need to run two wires to the switch, rather than one. If you do the second one however, you will need to find an earth point under the dash which is fairly simple 8-)
Also, it should be noted that both wires should run fuses, preferable as close to the power source as possible. They arent NEEDED in that sense, but it is sensible. I didnt have fuses at the time, so i didnt

Image :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok, well looking under the bonnet, in the main right hand headlight plug, I spliced into the green with orange stripe wire. (technical term). This is the 12v i am referring to on the switched side of the circuit as this only gets power when the high beam are in use.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

This is a view of the plug for the rear wiper switch viewed from the front. There are several ways to connect the wires to this, depending in what you want to be able to do.
If you cut the green and white, and the black, and use these two wires for the switched line, then the high beam will only com eon when the switch is on.

If you cut the black and white, and the black, the switch will only come on when the switch is depressed to where it would generally wash the window.

If you connect the green and orange wire from the headlight, to the green and white, then connect power from your accessorys line to the black and white, and finally connect the plain black wire to pin 85 on the relay, and 86 to earth, then it SHOULD light up your spotlights when you depress the button all the way, and work standard otherwise. However, im not ENTIRELY sure of this, and you may need a diode in there to stop it trying to light up the headlights.

Remember, I, nor anyone on fordmods can be blamed for any modifications done to your car. Everything is done at your own risk. Do not continue if you arent capable!

Oh, and Waggin/Xyphoid see? I can be useful, make me moderater :D

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

nice one andrew!

Quote:
Oh, and Waggin/Xyphoid see? I can be useful, make me moderater icon_biggrin.gif

haha u wish i been asking for ages now!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Those rear window washer switches come in handy.
thats what i've got to switch my inverter on. Looks, shmik, and no one has picked where the switch for the inverter is yet. Looks standard, which is great.

Dave

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:50 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Wow Andrew excellent work mate, was not expecting that much detail but I do appreciate the effort.

Firstly talk to me like I am an idiot and know nothing (it works out best fiora ll concerned).

Secondly here come the questions in order I find them in your post:

1. What is the 85, 86, 87 and 30 represent on the diargrams? I figure that 12V = battery. Is it a relay? If so how do I operate this (once again I am an idiot simple explanations).

2. The second diagram: what is the difference to the first?

3. I am ordering the rear wiper switch from Ford so I have no idea what is looks like as I pick it up in the morning. I am struggling to understand the a=switch connections. I want me to control when the switch goes on/off the lights go on/off. I think this is what I am after:

Quote:
If you cut the black and white, and the black, the switch will only come on when the switch is depressed to where it would generally wash the window.

Once again I really do appreciate the work and the effort you went to but I want to do this myself I am just sturggliung to understand a few things.

If someone could answer these it would be greatly appreciated, tahnks all.

Remember I am an idiot. Short simple words suit me fine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next