Swap AU3 to AU2 XR Front? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Swap AU3 to AU2 XR Front?
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Is it possible to swap an AU3 XR front to an AU2? what parts are involved?
I've got my eye on an AU2 XR6 but i prefer the AU3 front

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Maybe I'm ignorant in these matters, but whats the difference between an AUII XR front end and an AUIII XR front end :?:

I thought the only differences were between the AUI XR front and the AUII XR font, with the AUII and AUIII being the same.

Shugg

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

AUIII front bar is different down the bottem and it goes a bit lower then AUII front bar, i like the AUIII bar alot better IMO, makes it look more complete.
I think you should be fine swaping over the bar, head lights are same, and should just bolt up, but i have never done this myself, i could be wrong, but im guessing it should be fine, without changing anything else (Minus front bar).

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

forgive my ignorance, but i thought the difference was in the front grille? ie. between the headlights as pictured :)

the one i'm going to look at tomorrow has the full body kit so i'd assume it has the front skirts, therefore the bar being lower isn't really a concern

Plenty more to come!

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

aphexer wrote:
forgive my ignorance, but i thought the difference was in the front grille? ie. between the headlights as pictured :)

the one i'm going to look at tomorrow has the full body kit so i'd assume it has the front skirts, therefore the bar being lower isn't really a concern

The first picture is an AUI, the second picture could be either an AUII or an AUIII.

But the first picture is definately an AUI from my understanding, unless there were two releases of the AUII. My vehicle, although chopped to hell now, a shadow of its former self, is an AUII XR6 VCT 2000 model. It's grill was the second picture you posted.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah as he said 1st pic was a au1 bar, 2nd was a au3 bar from what i know.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Storm wrote:
yeah as he said 1st pic was a au1 bar, 2nd was a au3 bar from what i know.

The second pic is an AUII/AUIII bar.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

aphexer wrote:

The AUII XR6 will have the grill as seen in the second picture. I don't think you will need to look at changing your front ends around. It will have the one you want.

Shugg

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

II and III are different..., not by much tho..., but i think from memory the 220 KW XR8 in series II's that were made at the end of the series II run were made with the series III front bar, i'll try find pics of the diffrences

(II and III, are pretty much the same, but just the series III came with 2 added bits at the bottom of the Series II bar)

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Storm wrote:
II and III are different..., not by much tho..., but i think from memory the 220 KW XR8 in series II's that were made at the end of the series II run were made with the series III front bar, i'll try find pics of the diffrences

Cool, that would be good. I didn't know there was a difference. I have never seen a difference.

However, aphexer was getting confused with the AUI, calling it an AUII. Well thats what I understood from his post. I hope that issue is cleared up.

Keen to see the differences between the AUII and AUIII though.

Shugg

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, found pics from a post in the V8 section here, as i said there's not real difference between II and III front bars, but the series III has got 2 extra spoiler bits on the bottem of the front bar, wouldn't be amazed if you can just bolt em up to a series II front bar, but it could be moulded to the front bar too, havn't taken a close look at one before, only in pics.

This pic is one of the AU II's with the 220 series 3 engine and front bar from factory, but you will have to scroll down a few posts (12-13 maybe):

http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 0+series+2

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

[quote="Storm"

(II and III, are pretty much the same, but just the series III came with 2 added bits at the bottom of the Series II bar)[/quote] actually you can get htem on SII as well it part of teh body kit
they just plastic add ons!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah as i said, i wasn't to sure if they were just add ons or they were moulded, never had a close look, but IMO i like it a alot better with the add ons

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Storm wrote:
ok, found pics from a post in the V8 section here, as i said there's not real difference between II and III front bars, but the series III has got 2 extra spoiler bits on the bottem of the front bar, wouldn't be amazed if you can just bolt em up to a series II front bar, but it could be moulded to the front bar too, havn't taken a close look at one before, only in pics.

This pic is one of the AU II's with the 220 series 3 engine and front bar from factory, but you will have to scroll down a few posts (12-13 maybe):

http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 0+series+2

The two extra spoiler bits (teeth I like to call them) were introduced with the series II front end. You will probably find that most series II/III owners took them off. They hang too low, scrub and crack, and they are expensive to replace. They are glued on. I took mine off with a chisel and a hammer, pain in the a*** to get off.

So with this in mind, the AUII front end and the AUIII front end are the same, the only difference is the AUI front end. Maybe I am still missing something?

Shugg

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alright guys, thanks for the ton of replies! i think i've sorted out my differences between the series's :) next question is, an AU XR6 non-VCT 1999 production 2000 reg is most likely to be an AUII...

Here's what i'm looking at
1999 AU XR6, black, 5spd manual, 129,000kms, full tickford bodykit and 17" tickford wheels, electric sunroof, cloth interior. the following items fitted new by ford: clutch, exhaust, radiator, brakes, diff, gearbox and rear axle. <-- this is due to the owner complaining about a squeak at the rear end and taking it to ford head office :). he's looking for $17,500 for it so i'm keen as to have a look at it!

Plenty more to come!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next