Fordmods Logo

Tinting Taillights EB 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Tinting Taillights EB
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:40 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I realise this isn't everyone's thing, so I'm not after opinions - but I was wondering how the hell I am meant to get the lens off the taillights to do this? Is there an 'easy' way? Also, once I get them off, what would be the best product to get them back on?

Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Tinting Taillights EB
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 399

Joined: 21st Feb 2006

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

mjstafford wrote:
I realise this isn't everyone's thing, so I'm not after opinions - but I was wondering how the hell I am meant to get the lens off the taillights to do this? Is there an 'easy' way? Also, once I get them off, what would be the best product to get them back on?

Cheers.

Dont take them off they are glued on with heat reactive glue so they dont leak just mask them up and spray the outside with clear coat that has a little bit of black mixed with it the more coats the darker they will be

 

_________________

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Tinting Taillights EB
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:49 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

nlbxr6 wrote:
mjstafford wrote:
I realise this isn't everyone's thing, so I'm not after opinions - but I was wondering how the hell I am meant to get the lens off the taillights to do this? Is there an 'easy' way? Also, once I get them off, what would be the best product to get them back on?

Cheers.

Dont take them off they are glued on with heat reactive glue so they dont leak just mask them up and spray the outside with clear coat that has a little bit of black mixed with it the more coats the darker they will be


I just bought some of that "Nite-Shades" stuff, after I spray that, should I clear coat over the top? If so, what would you, or anyone recommend?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:18 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 65

Joined: 12th Apr 2005

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Yes clear coat over the top, to make it all shiney.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Tiga_EL wrote:
Yes clear coat over the top, to make it all shiney.


What brand/type do you recommend?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:08 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Alright, finally got around to it today, tinted and clear coated - I finished coating it about 2 hours ago - how long till you guys rekon it would be till I could fit them to my car again and know that the clear coat will be alright? The can suggests like 5-7 days for FULL drying but I'm really hoping for earlier than that lol.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1133

Joined: 15th Oct 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairmont I6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

put them in a hot room, a heated room to speed up the process. But dont put them in the oven because the glue might come loose.

 

_________________

Ford Fairmont AU
www.aufalcon.com/aujls

My Ebay items for sale

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:52 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

au man wrote:
put them in a hot room, a heated room to speed up the process. But dont put them in the oven because the glue might come loose.


My room gets pretty hot with the computers on haha - how long should it be before it's alright to put them back on you think?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1133

Joined: 15th Oct 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairmont I6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Dont know for sure.

 

_________________

Ford Fairmont AU
www.aufalcon.com/aujls

My Ebay items for sale

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1133

Joined: 15th Oct 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairmont I6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

This 'Night Shades' I put on my repeater blinkers and let them dry like normal paint gave them a few hours in the sun. They were fine, so putting them in a warm hot room is just a precaution.

 

_________________

Ford Fairmont AU
www.aufalcon.com/aujls

My Ebay items for sale

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 2245

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BA XR6T

Location: Bayswater
VIC, Australia

mjstafford wrote:
au man wrote:
put them in a hot room, a heated room to speed up the process. But dont put them in the oven because the glue might come loose.


My room gets pretty hot with the computers on haha - how long should it be before it's alright to put them back on you think?


well i just finished clear coating the paint on my grille, and on the can it said to let it harden for 2-3 days before use

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:42 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
mjstafford wrote:
au man wrote:
put them in a hot room, a heated room to speed up the process. But dont put them in the oven because the glue might come loose.


My room gets pretty hot with the computers on haha - how long should it be before it's alright to put them back on you think?


well i just finished clear coating the paint on my grille, and on the can it said to let it harden for 2-3 days before use


I needed to use the car today so I just put them on lol. I realise that's probably not real good but they're holding out alright, I just hope it doesn't rain :?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:37 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 399

Joined: 21st Feb 2006

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

If you use acrylic clear you should be right after a couple of hours if you use 2 pac or enamel it would take a couple of days unless you bake it or heat it with a heat gun

 

_________________

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:36 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 277

Joined: 26th Aug 2006

Location: The Basin, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

nlbxr6 wrote:
If you use acrylic clear you should be right after a couple of hours if you use 2 pac or enamel it would take a couple of days unless you bake it or heat it with a heat gun


Yeah I used acrylic clear and it seems dry, well probably not now, it's been raining for 2 days and it's hailing now sigh lol.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names