Fordmods Logo

tiny spots of rust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: tiny spots of rust
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

got a pic here but i have little spots of rust like they were stone chips it covers the front half of the car some of the roof just wondering if a nice polish would be good then something to seal the surface. im not sure (guess thats why im asking here)

Attachments:
P1100302.jpg
P1100302.jpg [ 82.98 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if it's rust spots, I'd remove the rust first and then put a coat on it. I don't think cut and polish will remove rust. But if it does then I guess it should be fine...if it doesn't then it's not a good idea to trap rust by sealing it...it'll just spread.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

try a clay bar mate, we get the new fords in with that kinda s**t all the time and the clay bar gets it all off

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

im a spraypainter and this looks like fallout,metal filings/paint etc floating in the air and landing on your car. you havent been painting or grinding any metal near your car? if it is fallout you could pick the bits out of the paint with yr fingernail or claybar and give it a good polish n wax. if its from stonechips you'll need the paint resprayed. rust needs to be rubbed off first.

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

elf100capri wrote:
im a spraypainter and this looks like fallout,metal filings/paint etc floating in the air and landing on your car. you havent been painting or grinding any metal near your car? if it is fallout you could pick the bits out of the paint with yr fingernail or claybar and give it a good polish n wax. if its from stonechips you'll need the paint resprayed. rust needs to be rubbed off first.

i agree a good wash and polish should fix it, if it dont may need a light buff

BANNED

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

elf100capri wrote:

mmm thanks,, the car was in a crash repairs just over a year and half ago could it be from back then if they were angle grinding on another car??? or would i have worse than this by now? i can feel the bits with my finger nail but my nails arent strong enough to pick it off.

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

fresh rust is red/orange and oldish rust goes black. may have happened at crash shop but im sure they'll deny it. if its metal/rust id try a good cut n polish after trying to scrape off the bits with a plastic razor blade, otherwise the bits can cut into your paint when using the buff. ive had to polish a 2month old car before coz the owner had been grinding his pergola near it,metal pits the windows too. hopefully for you its just overspray fallout. goodluck

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]