Fordmods Logo

"VIV" inspection on a repairable writeoff 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, I know you can repair the rails, provided you follow all the guidelines, etc, etc, but its not really worth it. Most of the places follow VSI 25, which says replace the rail unless its a recommended repair. And the Ford body manual doesn't really list it as a recommended repair.

My repairer followed the rules and heat guidlines, but in the end as a result of straightening the rail, it became longer. It couldn't go back to its exact shape. And as the rail had bent, when it was straightened, the 2 halves started to separate inside the rail. As there was exposed non painted areas on the rail it was an instant fail.

The book says you may be able to repair it if you follow guidelines, but the end result is generally something that isn't acceptable by the VIV pricks.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: eb

VIC, Australia

i think that it all depends on who you take it to, i wanted to fit a vs calais dash in a lh torana and about ten engineers told me that i cant do it and then one said that i can, there is a guy in frankston that isnt too picky cause ive fixed a few my self not as bad though and i had no probs. good luck

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

In the past I have done far more major structural repairs on a super hot mini I rebuilt from scratch. It had a vinyl roof whick I started to check and before I knew it I had gaping holes also in the sill.... I poked at some soft rust and before I knew it I had an enormous hole. I replaced the complete turret with one from pick-a-part $50 plus welding it up and painting... (white roof red car) The guards I just welded in new steel and it was stonger than new. It's a shame I don't think I have any photo's of it without the roof as I had my hands full getting it all fitted perfectly. Anyhow I got it roadworthied first time no probs as you would never know it had been fixed. I did reinforce the pillars with steel tubes inside so it was stronger than new.
Anyhow I would never have attempted to fix this wagon had I thought it was structurally unsound. Bent footwell pah!
K-fame and lower arm ... simple swap

Start again with a straight body... top marks should have done this to begin with!

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Yeah, I know you can repair the rails, provided you follow all the guidelines, etc, etc, but its not really worth it. Most of the places follow VSI 25, which says replace the rail unless its a recommended repair. And the Ford body manual doesn't really list it as a recommended repair.

My repairer followed the rules and heat guidlines, but in the end as a result of straightening the rail, it became longer. It couldn't go back to its exact shape. And as the rail had bent, when it was straightened, the 2 halves started to separate inside the rail. As there was exposed non painted areas on the rail it was an instant fail.

The book says you may be able to repair it if you follow guidelines, but the end result is generally something that isn't acceptable by the VIV pricks.

what about if the damage to the rail is in-front of the radiator support? can that be repaired? my panel beater rekons its generally ok if the damage hasnt gone past the radiator support?

richard youll have to check the new wagon shell isnt flagged as a repairable writeoff because if it is youll still have to do VIV..

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
arm79 wrote:

what about if the damage to the rail is in-front of the radiator support? can that be repaired? my panel beater rekons its generally ok if the damage hasnt gone past the radiator support?

Don't know. To me a rail is a rail, doesnt matter where it starts or stops or protrudes from. One benefit is that that area of the rail is covered by the bumper, and unless the inspector wants to get really picky, the bumper wont come off.

But in the end, who cares what your panel beater says, he's not the one doing the testing. :wink:

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

I will be checking the new body very carefully.
From what i was told it was driving around till recently when the head gasket went on it and the exhaust cracked up. I know if you were paying for all this work with dealers it could be a couple of grand easy. It was fitted with new discs just before coming off the road so they will be a bonus spare! I will still have to swap all the front steering knuckles for the ABS system. The problem car has all new discs already but I may put them on my other car as it has the shakes under brakes ( I hate the ford disc wobbles) bloody machined them only 17k ago and they were new slotted's 30k ago barely worn!

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Geez this is bad news for me too....I recently bought an EL XR6 in 'very straight/clean' condition (theft recovered) that has the front lower of the bumper damaged which i'm presently repairing.....I bought it as a bit of a project and when i spotted it for sale i thought it just HAD to be fixed and put back on the road! (E-series Xr6's are sooo Stylin!) The actual damage is minimal and i'm hoping to just repair the original bumper and ther is NO structural, but i'm now worried as these VIV guys sound like pricks.....Gotta check if it has all those little i.d tags on it too??? Sounds like Frankston might be the best place to go.....Also it's on gas but the wiring in the bay is shockin so i gotta fix that also, i've already replaced discs and tyres.....Might get a chassis alignment check before taking it just to be sure tho???

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

If its stolen recovered, they may not be too hard on it.

But you still will have to detail all the repair work that has been done before. Also need to remember that you are liable for any pre-existing damage that is on the car, and because of that they may not pass.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Welll it has all the panel tags onit so that is great! I'm goin to get the bumper repaired at a shop for proof of repair and the rest will just be small fix ups that are almost already done.....So maybe it won't be so bad afterall which is very relieving as it could so easily have turned into a waste of a nice car!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:
Welll it has all the panel tags onit so that is great! I'm goin to get the bumper repaired at a shop for proof of repair and the rest will just be small fix ups that are almost already done.....So maybe it won't be so bad afterall which is very relieving as it could so easily have turned into a waste of a nice car!!!
Yeah theft recovered they arent too hard on
They get photos from the insurer before you go in so they know what damage to look for repairs

Nicko

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Aaah o.k.....Maybe i should replace the l/h mirror instead of just Aroldyteing it together wer it turns like i have done??? Paint is goood......they jsut broke the flexi joint thingy! Bumper is going to a shop very soon....Discs are done (by me....would cause probs?) Would just need new tyres and a screen.....Oh and gas wiring is sooo shonky....I think the con6tol unit is F**k too.....Was thinking bout rippin the gas out and gettin it refitted with new system and also get the rebate???

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2