Fordmods Logo

What to do?! 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

Mm I have noticed that, barely any difference! Thanks guys your comments have inspired me ;D I think I will get the exhaust with some spare money I have laying around before I punch a hole in the wall ;P haha
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Lower it.. put some 18 inch rims on it... and maybe some BF XR skirts... :-)

Image

Oh, and tint the windows. (I've had mine done since this was taken.)

After that do the other stuff too the guys have mentioned like the T5 manual, extractors, exhaust etc etc... My EL has all that stuff too.. I would make one other suggestion.... My car came with one, but a Tickford ghia ECU is a well spent $50 dollars and you'll notice it. (look on ebay for an EL Ghia ECU and then search google for the words "fordmods" and the catch code of the ECU and verify it is what they say it is.

cheers

Frank
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:37 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 218

Joined: 28th Apr 2012

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

Location: Vermont South
VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
My car came with one, but a Tickford ghia ECU is a well spent $50 dollars and you'll notice it. (look on ebay for an EL Ghia ECU and then search google for the words "fordmods" and the catch code of the ECU and verify it is what they say it is.

cheers

Frank


I was also considering this, but wanted to know a bit more about it. What benefits will it give? I've heard that it gives better shift points. The mechanic (who I bought the car through) said the engine 'misses' a bit. It's out the back while I'm fixing it up before RWC/getting Ps, so haven't had a chance to really feel it for myself so I can't say much, but would the ticky ECU help that? Or is it an issue with the timing.

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm assuming the other bloke would want to know what it does as well :D

 

_________________

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

The Ticky ECU will not help with missing unless it is caused by your current ECU being dodgy. Check your leads and dizzy first.

It (The ticky ECU) will change shift points.. it will also have more aggressive timing and fuel maps to give you an extra bit of kick. The benefits will be most noticeable when you have extractors, a decent exhaust and a mild XR type camshaft. (In fact an EL XR cam would be a worthwhile investment if you can get one for under a hundred bucks.)


cheers

Frank
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

No problem mate. It's interesting to read :P
frankieh wrote:
Lower it.. put some 18 inch rims on it... and maybe some BF XR skirts... :-)

Frank


What springs did you go to lower your car man? And I have found these on ebay, they are brand new but I love em! What do you think???

 

 

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 8.96 KiB | Viewed 838 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
No problem mate. It's interesting to read :P
frankieh wrote:
Lower it.. put some 18 inch rims on it... and maybe some BF XR skirts... :-)

Frank


What springs did you go to lower your car man? And I have found these on ebay, they are brand new but I love em! What do you think???



I have lovells superlows, but most people have kings. not a huge difference.

Nice choice of RIM BTW.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

Alright thanks, what is the difference?? I'm going to go super low when I get around to it, looks nice :P
Thanks, you can get them full black around the rim there, so its either black or chrome, very tough decision haha
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1204

Joined: 24th Apr 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

Location: Bleakheath
NSW, Australia

I have been told Lovells aren't as harsh a ride as kings for standard driving. Dont know if its true or not but feeling every bump through your a** hole could not be good so you may require someone to clarify that before you make your decision
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, to confirm what you just said I googled it and Lovells are supposedly more comfortable.

Do you know if they are the same price??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

From memory the Lovells are more expensive.. but not hugely so.

I think they are progressive springs.. meaning they start off softer and harden up as they are compressed.. the idea being to give you as soft a right as possible for the small bumps, but getting stiffer for the harder stuff. I love them myself... wish I could afford Bilsteins to go with them, but will have to settle for VST's.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

Hmm alright, kings are probably the way for me to go, more in my price range and easier to find (eBay). I don't mind what spring I get, standard height is ugly.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1204

Joined: 24th Apr 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

Location: Bleakheath
NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
From memory the Lovells are more expensive.. but not hugely so.

I think they are progressive springs.. meaning they start off softer and harden up as they are compressed.. the idea being to give you as soft a right as possible for the small bumps, but getting stiffer for the harder stuff. I love them myself... wish I could afford Bilsteins to go with them, but will have to settle for VST's.

Sounds like my wanga, it hardens up when needed to as well, but normally not over small bumps but larger ones
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

79raven wrote:
frankieh wrote:
From memory the Lovells are more expensive.. but not hugely so.

I think they are progressive springs.. meaning they start off softer and harden up as they are compressed.. the idea being to give you as soft a right as possible for the small bumps, but getting stiffer for the harder stuff. I love them myself... wish I could afford Bilsteins to go with them, but will have to settle for VST's.

Sounds like my wanga, it hardens up when needed to as well, but normally not over small bumps but larger ones



So... in summary, you like to bump your wanga.. but it doesn't get hard unless you go hell for broke?
:-)

There's a cream for that.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:42 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
I already have a manual I have read bits of it. Very handy! Did you just follow the maintenance steps on the manual?

I can get access to an air compressor, I will consider this!! :-)

Hmm alright I will have a decent look into it, some welding on my drivers seat has came off and the cushion you sit on lifts up from the back, it's strange so I either want new seats or I will get it welded back on by a mate. Cheers :P


Just pick up a bottom section of the seat. Drivers side and passenger are interchangable. Don't worry about the trim as the cover comes off easy. Just unbolt everything and change it over, rails included.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do?!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 22

Posts: 152

Joined: 28th Jan 2012

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
RUXT0N wrote:
I already have a manual I have read bits of it. Very handy! Did you just follow the maintenance steps on the manual?

I can get access to an air compressor, I will consider this!! :-)

Hmm alright I will have a decent look into it, some welding on my drivers seat has came off and the cushion you sit on lifts up from the back, it's strange so I either want new seats or I will get it welded back on by a mate. Cheers :P


Just pick up a bottom section of the seat. Drivers side and passenger are interchangable. Don't worry about the trim as the cover comes off easy. Just unbolt everything and change it over, rails included.


Why didn't I think of that? Thanks heaps mate!! Best idea to fix my seats :D lol
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names