Fordmods Logo

XR6 Bumper repair? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 Bumper repair?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all i recently got an EL XR6 to repair as it has minor damage at the front bumper bar.....I bought it intending on repairing the bumper as the lower front right corner of the air dam has been sort of bent/moulded back but it's not even cracked or broken.....just out of shape a bit ....thers not even any bracket damage behind it.....
I know these Bumpers are $1000 so is ther anyone in Melbourne that could remould/repair this original back into shape.....Then i'll obviously get it paint matched???

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:25 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Got the bumper off and stripped now and the actual damage is only the moulded extension and a crack in the bumper behind where the mould sits....So it can be saved with a new extension and then paint matching......Is paint stripper o.k to use on plastic bars or will it cause probs for the new paint??? Might go and have a read of the paint repair threads and see what i can find there!

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

sand that bad boy. who needs stripper?

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

What ......sand theWHOLE thing! The top half would get away with just a very fine prep sand over the original paint but the lower has chips and peeled areas etc from the damage so i was thinking all that lower section needs full stripping....Or should i just flatten sand the egdes of damge out and then build them up etc with bumper primer??? Want to get it as good as possible and the job to last! oh and will try and get the crack welded or do my own 'trade secret' as it's behind the mould anyways......And where can i get a replacement mould???

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey again all! Hopefully some peeps will look at this post again and lead me in the right direction as today i began paint stripping the whole bumber after to getting a 2ltr tin of it from a hardware shop.....I want to strip it back to the plaistic as it will then have the smooth surface to start a new base with and hopefully won't need too much sanding but hell the original base coat is HARD...The top colour coat is all off but the stripper won't get into the white basecoat and has to be basically scraped off (luckily i grabbed a curved scraper as well)! So now i'm wanting to know if these bumpers can be either dipped in some sort of tank or do i need to get 'serious' and obtain something stronger like Acetone to get this base off....Or do have to sand the whole bloody thing by hand??? Thought it would cut down the sanding time?? The plan is to repair the crack, get it alll bare again then get a shop to paint it up.....So i'm doing the hard work for them and it'll make it cheaper too!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

much easier with a random orbital sander

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ummm??? Would be bloody hard to get into some of those tight spots 'old mate' and if i can strip it most of the proper shape will be there so i'd just need to prime/prep it....without too much sanding that is??? Looking in local directory atmo and ther are a couple of bumber restorers around so i'l ring tmrw and see what they recken?

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

its not hard. I have done it before. I used air tools though. Sand by hand the tight stuff. paint stripper sucks

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:11 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Will have to see what the 'experts' say??? Will keep you informed...old mate! lol

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

The paint stripper you used is not designed for bumpers and probably will affect the bumper, there are strippers designed for plastics but the best way is generally to use and orbital sander to feather the stone chips out and the fiddly bits by hand.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yer. you only needed a flat surface to apply the primer, never did i see why you needed to strip the paint off.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

dont use stripper as it will most likely melt the plastic bar just sand paint and pannel is never quick if done dodgy and quick it will look s**t in the end prep is everything

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]