Fordmods Logo

2 questions ba to ef seats and steering columes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: 2 questions ba to ef seats and steering columes
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF gli

QLD, Australia

i own an efII gli the seats are uncomfotable and feel to high ( i like to sit low in a car) i was wondering if ba-bf seats will fit in. and was also wondering if i could retro fit the steering colume into my car as well as i drive cabs for a living and the feel of the seats and steering wheel feel a lot better than the original items

Post subject: Re: 2 questions ba to ef seats and steering columes
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

yes ba seats will fit
as for steering colum, why not just fit the ba steering wheel?

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

EF- AU 1 steering wheels have a square shaft for the steering colume BA-BF have a round spline other wise i would

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

really coz it fitted in my car
explain that!

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
P1174119.jpg
P1174119.jpg [ 74.16 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

cool i'll have to find one. the ones ive seen have been round. but it does look a hell of a lot better than original. btw the pics look good

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

One thing to consider with installing BA seat in your EF is while they may feel like they provide a good driving position in a BA they may not in an EF. The BA's obviously have a totally different body, and if you get in an AU/BA/BF they feel very different to an E-series.

No doubt you could make them sit well when you install them though, I assume you realise they aren't a bolt-in swap? I don't think you can just swap over the seat bases either.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

nosyaj007 wrote:
EF- AU 1 steering wheels have a square shaft for the steering colume BA-BF have a round spline other wise i would

definately not fg wheels?
just be aware of airbag issues, cruise controls.
Also they could do with modification, as they sit further towards, the driver making the stalks a bit more of a reach.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

See my build thread...

The BA/BF & FG wheels all mount the same EF/EL wheels... I currently have a BA Momo wheel in my ED, which has a lower ED and upper EL column to get it to fit...

You will find the combo arms will be too far away with the BA wheel as such you will need to make a hybrid combo switch which is EL body, with BA/BF arms on it and removed the headlight switch for the EL bung, you will have to cut and solder in the two wires for the variable int wipers...

You will have to modify the cruise switches in the BA as they will not work with the EL cruise... As yet mine don't work to BA std's but its fine for me, when you hit the cruise button it turns on, but doesn't turn off until you turn the car off, but you still have the coast button and the cancel button on your pedals so its not really that major of an issue...

Eventually I'll get a headunit that supports factory wheel buttons and hook them up too... You don't get a real good look from side on with the BA steering column (can see the clock spring) and I'm just working out how to fix that too...

The Clock spring will need the plugs cut of it and the BA ones soldered on... Your biggest issue will be the airbag (I don't have one) as the BA airbag has a dual stage ignitor... You might be best to remove the airbag from the horn pad in the EL and then try to mount it in your BA hornpad... You might need the AU clockpring too depending how many wires you need... Once I have radio buttons hooked up I'll be using all 5 wires in the EF/EL clock spring I'm running, as mentioned I don't have airbag... The BA clock spring is too large a diameter and will not fit inside the shrouds... The BA shrouds will not fit on because the combo switch relavtive to the ign barrel appears to be in a different spot...

Anyway read my build thread... It's pretty well all detailed in there... Link is in my Sig...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

thanks for all the feed back i picked up a high range fairlane wheel off ebay for next to nicks tryed it in the car this morning and fits nice now just got to get airbag and switches so i can fit it properly than next step is the seats

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

biggest dilemma you'll have is re-wiring the switches and adding in the extra wire to the cruise switches to turn it on...

Be interested to know what you end up doing with the airbag...

Did you notice the wheel is too far away from the combo switch? Or its OK for you? I hated it so I fitted the BA combo arms and feels natural now (wiper arm needed to be heated and angled slightly)...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im lost are you saying its hard to do the install

my current system is
ba steering wheel (momo and wood)
ba cruise switch's operating and functional (there is a trick to running 3 wires on a 2 wire system)
and of course A very functional airbag Ba casing with El bag

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Na not too hard... Just stating the resistors need to be swapped out in the cruise switches and you need to break one of the tracks and run the wire back to the power off the horn...

And I wasn't sure how you about the airbag... It was a fairly direct fit was it?

Did you notice the combo switch arms are much further away from the wheel than normal Kenay (about an inch)? You just deal with it? I just swapped over BA arms so that it brought them closer, only trouble then was it brought them too close... The wiper one anyway and you couldn't pull it back to get the jets because it hit the wheel, so the heat gun and a bit of re-alignment and its all sorted... Looks and feels as good as a factory set up...

Only other thing I noticed which really doesn't matter a stuff was that the EL arms "hid" behind the wheel...

So In case you have seen my build this is sort of what I ended up with...

And this is what I did the the EF/EL clock spring

I used 4 of 5 wires for the buttons leaving me one for the future if need be... The BA switches were wired for 1 earth for the horn and the second wire for the cruise was not a ground, so instead of moving it over I just ran it separate back to the send on the cruise module... However if your wanting an airbag you will have to move the cruise wire over to the ground on the horn to get 2 spare wires for the bag...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]