Fordmods Logo

96 EL Heating Problem. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: 96 EL Heating Problem.
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 Fairmont Fairlane

SA, Australia

You're saying that I can just remove the dashboard without removing all of the parts like climate control unit, trip comp, clocks and others?
I changed the Climate Control Unit about 3 weeks ago and it was simple...but the hole dashboard...never tried.

I will search the web for some info about taking it down and maybe I will give it a try.

Tomorrow I will let your know about the temperature.
The really odd thing is that some times it works some times it doesn`t.

I will check the thermostat. Tell me where is this heater tap, because I don`t know.

Thanks.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Na... As the dash rolls off the firewall you unplug all that stuff through the main dash harness plugs... All stays together... It'd never come out if you pulled it bits piece by piece... Easy on an ED and the El doesn't vary much and I'd imagine the wiring unplugs in a similar way to mine...

Your biggest issue will be if the heaterbox needs to come out to clear the leaves and such out of it as you have to degas the AC to get the beaterbox out... Or let the gas go and then pay someone to regas it later... Only thing with it is as soon as you undo something you need to tape it up to stop contaminants entering the AC system as they'll block the TX valve...

Heater tap is under the car... on the intake side of the motor you can see the two heater spouts sticking out through the firewall side by side and then one goes in a rubber hose that is "Z" shaped and drops down low... Connects to the heater tap and then goes forward to the thermostat housing... When you unplug the vac line that opens the heater tap... So on heat, with the motor running you can unplug the vac line and you should see the lever chnage as the tap closes and then plug the vac on and the lever should then open the tap... Heater taps are known to deteriorate over time...

If you have doubts then undo the clamps and remove it and replace it with a 3/4 hose joiner (brass is best as the heat doesn't soften it, but it's dear)... This will test it... But you need to make sure your water is getting hot first... I actually don't run a heater tap because when it was close in summer the water sat in core and caused it to corrode in less than a year... So now I run heater core flow all year round...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Ok, i checked the engine cooling temp and it went up to 80.
Now i have to find a manual to see if that is withing normal temp.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the thermostat should open at 90 ish... But even at 80 you should have had hot air? Did you see it cycling? Engine gets hot then thermostat opens, engine cools, thermostat closes... So on... On mine there is about an 8 degree variation between thermostat about to open and about to close...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

The temperature staid at around 80 with minor variations to 78 and back.
When I started the engine and left for work the engine was cool so I got cold air from the vents, after some time the air got really hot but when the engine got to 77-80 degrees it suddenly started to give warm to cold air.
I don`t understand...why is it working like this? the engine is almost at normal temp and I get cold air and when is below normal I get hot air...Damn if I understand.
The Climate Control Unit work fine because I select hot, I get hot...when I set the A\C on I get A\C.
It seems that the thermostat isn`t perfect but works...I will change it.
All I have to check is the valve and if that works fine then all it remains is to take down the dashboard and look at the cooling core and the Blend Door, but that will be a hell of a job.

Anyone has a manual for my model?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2