'97 EL Falcon GLi - Getting Wires Through Door Looms 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: '97 EL Falcon GLi - Getting Wires Through Door Looms
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

G'day, guys.

I am planning on doing the LED interior door handle mod on my '97 EL Falcon GLi sometime soon and I noticed that when I took my door skin off of the driver's door to see what I was dealing with, I managed to take the door handle out so that I was able to work on it. The only problem was when I tried to run a wire from inside the door to the inside of the cabin, I found that I couldn't figure out how to get to the door wiring loom from the inside of the car.

Basically what I can't figure out is, how do I get to the inside of the front and back door wiring looms, so that I can pass a wire through them and illuminate my door handles.

Thanks in advance, guys. Any help you can give me will be every much appreciated. :)

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Post subject: Re: '97 EL Falcon GLi - Getting Wires Through Door Looms
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

VIC, Australia

I assume you want to know how to get the wire through the rubber grommets?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
I assume you want to know how to get the wire through the rubber grommets?

That's exactly right. Thanks RUXT0N.

Do you have any tips you might be able to give me? :)

Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I only recently did this mod myself putting the lights in the door handles in my '97 EL falcon GLi so I may be of assistance..

Take the rubber grommet out of both holes.
Remove the front kick panels, the passenger side kick panel has the ECU behind it, just unscrew the bracket for it. There is some sound proof carpet s**t it should just peel back, now the hard part.
I used a thin yet fairly strong (bendy but not too flexible) long plastic tube and poked it through the rubber grommet hole on the cabin side, moved it around and fed it through until it poked out from where the ECU sits. I then taped some wire onto the end of the tube and pulled it completely through, therefore the wire is threaded through. I used some force to then put the wire through the rubber grommet and running the wire through the door is fairly simple.

I hope you understand that hahaha.

The rear doors aren't as simple.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
I only recently did this mod myself putting the lights in the door handles in my '97 EL falcon GLi so I may be of assistance..

Take the rubber grommet out of both holes.
Remove the front kick panels, the passenger side kick panel has the ECU behind it, just unscrew the bracket for it. There is some sound proof carpet s**t it should just peel back, now the hard part.
I used a thin yet fairly strong (bendy but not too flexible) long plastic tube and poked it through the rubber grommet hole on the cabin side, moved it around and fed it through until it poked out from where the ECU sits. I then taped some wire onto the end of the tube and pulled it completely through, therefore the wire is threaded through. I used some force to then put the wire through the rubber grommet and running the wire through the door is fairly simple.

I hope you understand that hahaha.

The rear doors aren't as simple.

What a coincidence! I am glad you spotted my question. :D

I guess I could also use a cut metal coat hanger and put tape over the sharp edges so I don't damage existing wires.

Thank you for the cool tip, that will save heaps of time, although the neighbours might have to learn how to swear on their own now. Although I think I made up for that a week ago when I changed my spark plugs and leads (the hard way; from the top). :lol:

I had a go at getting to the back ones first and I just couldn't figure it out. Do you have any little tips or things to avoid when I try and get to the back doors?

Also, did you just drill a hole in the handle, chuck in a 5mm LED and secure it with hot glue? Or did you do it a little different? Did you use a diffused or water clear LED?

Thanks a lot, mate. Your experience is very useful to me. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hahaha yea it gets bloody frustrating at times!!

A coat hanger should work fine if it isn't too strong.

First remove the seatbelt plastic cover thing, and basically just remove whatever needed so you can get under the carpet where the hole and a rubber grommet is to take the wires outside the cabin.

If you open up the back doors completely and look side on just below the B pillar, bellow where the rear doors are hinged, you will another rubber grommet that take the wires from inside the cabin to the rear doors. I pulled out that rubber grommet, along with the one behind the carpet and poked a Zip-tie through. The 2 holes practically line up, if you open the rear door fully, you can almost poke the zip-tie through without bending it, do this by opening the rear door fully and looking directly at the hole.
It's hard to explain but I hope you understand hahaha ;)

Yep I used a drill and chucked in a 5mm LED, I used a white LED. Before securing the LED in place I connected it up to a 9V battery and position it where I liked. :)

It takes time to do IMO but sooooo worth it!! I had a spare LED so I now have an ignition light :P

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
Hahaha yea it gets bloody frustrating at times!!

A coat hanger should work fine if it isn't too strong.

First remove the seatbelt plastic cover thing, and basically just remove whatever needed so you can get under the carpet where the hole and a rubber grommet is to take the wires outside the cabin.

If you open up the back doors completely and look side on just below the B pillar, bellow where the rear doors are hinged, you will another rubber grommet that take the wires from inside the cabin to the rear doors. I pulled out that rubber grommet, along with the one behind the carpet and poked a Zip-tie through. The 2 holes practically line up, if you open the rear door fully, you can almost poke the zip-tie through without bending it, do this by opening the rear door fully and looking directly at the hole.
It's hard to explain but I hope you understand hahaha ;)

Yep I used a drill and chucked in a 5mm LED, I used a white LED. Before securing the LED in place I connected it up to a 9V battery and position it where I liked. :)

It takes time to do IMO but sooooo worth it!! I had a spare LED so I now have an ignition light :P

No worries, mate. It sounds good. I will have a go the day after tomorrow, on my day off.

Is there any chance you have a photo of one of the completed handles at night? I would love to see what the finished product looks like. Do you have chrome handles or the standard grey plastic ones, like me?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Alright goodluck mate!

Yeah I do have one! It's not that great of a photo but you get the idea of what it looks like! I have the standard grey plastic ones.

Attachment:
File comment: illuminated door handle
20130505_174213.jpg
20130505_174213.jpg [ 427.22 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:02 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:
Alright goodluck mate!

Yeah I do have one! It's not that great of a photo but you get the idea of what it looks like! I have the standard grey plastic ones.

Attachment:
20130505_174213.jpg

That looks mint! :o

I am not sure whether to go with cool white (like yours), warm white (like a BMW) or blue.

I am thinking that blue is a bit rice and I am regretting adding so much blue to my car.

If I was able to get a Fairlane interior, I would go warm white as it would look good with the cappuccino interior and leather. But if have to stick with my Falcon interior, I would go cool white I think.

Thanks for the picture, mate.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

No problem mate! I think this cool white suits the GLi interior, with the light blue door cards and the grey, plus it suits my cool white dome LED ;)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]