Fordmods Logo

A/c Problem XR8 BA Sedan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: A/c Problem XR8 BA Sedan
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

ACT, Australia

The problem i have is the air conditioner in my XR8 has died, but the funny thing about it is that it has only died in lefthand side of the car ( passenger side) so all vents left of the middle of the car will not cool.

I can select hot and that comes through fine.

I know your all gonna say don't try and fix it myself and i won't as it is under WARANTY.

But what has accured to me is that if it has failed on only one side than does that mean that the dash has all the mechcanicals for dual climate control?. and if so what needs to be done to enable this.? and can it be done?.

Well just thought i would share this with you all.

i enjoyed working on the tft screen and contributing on how it works, if its possible for dual climate control to be enable it sure would be fun trying to crack it.

any ways if you have any idea on the subject please let me know.

Thanks
Paul

Post subject: Re: A/c Problem XR8 BA Sedan
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

paulwm6 wrote:
The problem i have is the air conditioner in my XR8 has died, but the funny thing about it is that it has only died in lefthand side of the car ( passenger side) so all vents left of the middle of the car will not cool.

I can select hot and that comes through fine.

I know your all gonna say don't try and fix it myself and i won't as it is under WARANTY.

But what has accured to me is that if it has failed on only one side than does that mean that the dash has all the mechcanicals for dual climate control?. and if so what needs to be done to enable this.? and can it be done?.

Well just thought i would share this with you all.

i enjoyed working on the tft screen and contributing on how it works, if its possible for dual climate control to be enable it sure would be fun trying to crack it.

any ways if you have any idea on the subject please let me know.

Thanks
Paul

This one would be a good one for Matti (Xyphoid) to check out, he probably already knows if it is possible.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

wtf is with the dual aircon? can u explain?

Banned

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

i thought they already had dual climate control!
inteceptor: dual climate control is where 2 people can have different temperature settings. for example, the driver may want to cool him self down, but the passenger mite be cold so wants to heat up... dual climate control lets them do this at the same time ;)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

isnt the car still under warranty??

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Reindeer

NSW, Australia

i had a similar problem on my Fairmont ghia, but i had the dual zone. The passenger side just didnt cool down, but the drivers side did.

just take it back, it only took them a hour to fix mine ( i think its a common flaw)

Its people like you that make people that kill other people, sleep easier at night.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

joolz wrote:
isnt the car still under warranty??

Most BA's would be because it hasn't even been 3 years since the release of them.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: V8 VE Calais V Spec

Power: 262 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah, its a lot easier to mess around with the BAs in terms of their heater boxes, than it was possible for the XD-AUIIIs.

The BAs have a modular airbox, where bits and peices can be added, or removed fairly easily.
The dual zone models have an extra module called an Electric Airmix located on the HVAC Module.
Im not 100% sure if there appears to be anything else that the Dual Climate Control Models have (In regards to the HVAC Module), but the Dual Zones also have the following bits added to the vehicle.

1) Sunload Sensor (This sensor is connected the the Body Electronics module, and is used to determine how much sun is on the windscreen, as well as for turning on the Automatic Lights. (Apparently you can add Auto lights feature by adding the sunload sensor, and the auto lights stalk, then programming the feature on using a Ford WDS).
2) Ambient temperature sensor. This is part of the ICC (The radio, screen module thingy) Basically its a sniffer motor that sucks in a little bit of the cabin air, to determine how hot or cold the cabin is. Its located on the Left of the screen, with 3 or 4 slits about 2cm long. It kinda looks like you could put coins in there.... Having a colour LCD screen, I would not be surprised if you had it there already !
3) The Outside Air temp sensor. This is located :shock: inside :shock: the passenger mirror on Dual Zone models.... (A little bit scary, considering that the mirror is a memory model.... I would hate to see how much a BA Ghia Passenger mirror would cost if one was snapped off !!!!)

In theory, if you had Automatic lights, and a ghia passenger mirror, and got your hands on a Dual Zone ICC (Fairmont or Ghia), and you fitted the Electric Airmix sensor (The thing looks like a very small little module !), then you would have full dual zone climate control, (As well as any other fairmonty bits from the ICC)...

Anyways, back on subject a bit....
There is a Seperate Driver and passenger Air intake actuator motor. this is the same for all models (Utes, Territorys, XTs etc, even non airconditioning models) Its possible that one of these are faulty ???? (Just a guess really, as I dont know too much about the BA systems).

VE Calais V8, IQ, HSV instruments and brembos fitted.
IQ, IPC, BCM all hacked and programmed without TECH2 :)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Xyphoid wrote:
(Just a guess really, as I dont know too much about the BA systems).

Yeah right, we believe you, thousands wouldn't but we do!

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

if its under warranty i wouldnt go near it, im sure ford would say its void even with a scratched screw head!!

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

if i told u the standard non colour ICC found in a falcon XT was valued at around $1900 new would that turn u off?

i also believe there is other wiring differences in ICC's... And before the car will start the ICC needs to be coded to the engine ecu using the WDS

Post subject: TSB - A/C TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE ACROSS VENTS
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

just checked the TSB on this subject and this is what it has to say.

Subject: A/C TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE ACROSS VENTS

Models: All BA Falcon & SX Territory

Summary: The A/C system may distribute different temperatures from passenger side air vent to drivers side air vent. This may be caused by low refrigerant charge.

"If a customer is experiencing a difference in A/C temperature from the driver side vents to the passenger side vents, the cause may be a lower than specified refrigerant charge. This applies to the Manual Climate Control System and the Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control System.

There is an internal divider in the HVAC case that separates the airflow from left to right completely after the evaporator. If the system is low on refrigerant charge the evaporator coil will not be fully flooded with refrigerant and the evaporator will get progressively warmer across its surface. The evaporator coil refrigerant flow path is right to left or driver side to passenger side, thus it will be colder on the driver side than the passenger side."

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]