Fordmods Logo

A/C Question - Air Vent Stuck? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: A/C Question - Air Vent Stuck?
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Futura

NSW, Australia

Hey all, i had my air con re-gassed last year around october and my ford people told me that my re-circ vent was stuck on fresh air. The air con worked fine for like 2 months blowing ice cold air nicely but this summer it just continually blows hot air no matter how long i leave it on for. Any recomendations for some1 to un-stick my re-circ valve?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

The recirc door is sontrolled by a vacumm solenoid, and has a rod to control it. However, the lever that the rod attatches to has a bad habit of snapping off and causing it to stick in the default position. There used to be a document on here on how to fix it, so you might have some luck looking in the document section

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

This unfortunately, is seemingly becoming a more and more common occurance amongst the EA-EL Falcon Brigade !
As can be seen by the above picture, the plastic control rod that is used to move the Door Flap for the Fresh/Recycled Air commonly breaks right at the Junction point.
This part is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, Just above the Passenger Kick Panel, and above the EEC Computer Module.
If you are an EA-ED Owner, then you can smile in the knowledge that it is not difficult to get access to this troublesome part, as the bottom part of the Dash panel can be removed, allowing access to this part, without the need to remove the whole Dash
For EF/EL Model owners, unfortunately, depending on your dexterity, and size of your hands this may be a complete Dash-Out job to repair.

The above picture has been taken, with the Fresh/Recirc Part of the Airbox removed completely from the vehicle.

Fixing the Problem
If you can be bothered to get the Recirc/Fresh Module out from under the Instrument panel, then you will notice that the plastic would have broken right between the lever (Black coloured plastic Bit), and the Rod.
You will also notice that the rod will typically break flush along the Airbox side, making super gluing damm near impossible.
(The use of too much super glue will glue the Control Rod to the airbox, not allowing free movement of the Recirc Flap.
Possibly the best way to repair this part is to use a self tapping screw, and a small amount of super glue.
When fixing this part, Be sure to aling the Control Rod, and Lever, so as the Recirc Flap is in the correct position with the control rod.
(You do not want the Door flap to be allowing Fresh Air in to the airbox, when the Control Rod is in the Recirc position, and Vice Versa.)
Also, if the position is not correctly aligned, the Control Lever will simply attempt to break the Rod again, forcing the flap in to a position that it was not designed to go.
When fitting the self tapping screw, make sure that you use a small diameter one, as the Recirc Control rod is not very large, (Roughly 4mm Diameter).
Finally, ensure that the Control Rod, and lever operate smoothly, before attempting to refit the Recirc Component to the Airbox.

Thats an extract from the document, but the picture has been missing since the demise of FM mk1. Someone may have another picture, or you might be able to follow it without instruction. Good luck!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate, should help and will be better than forking out 600bux for ford to do it and take 3 days lol and i not knowing if it was done or not! :D

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well I thought that mine was the same, and so far, id advise strongly against doing it. I havent figured out how to get the thing out yet, and it looks like i may have to pull the dash out

Which means steering column, centre console, dash faschias, radio, and everything else. Ive damaged the pipe unning to the left hand side air vent, and have punctured it so ill need a new one. Plus, the recirc is still damaged. I need help! Does the dash need to come out to get it out? Surely someone knows, Im stuck!

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well that was definately an adventure for tonight. I ended up figuring out that the recirc box CANNOT (well by the looks) be removed without removing the black air pipe that goes to the left hand side vent. And I cant see an easy way to remove that without removing the dash, so it looks like ill be removing my dash tomorrow afternoon after work. What a pity, i quite liked the way it was sitting there :cry:

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:38 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

do you actually need to remove the air box to fix it. My impression from the doco is it can be fixed in place (given hands of sufficient ability).

?

I've got the same problem, so this will be a learnign experience for many of us.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I have recently done mine and the Dash needs to come out on an EF.
It takes about 2 hours to remove and about the same to reinstall. The Flap assy can then be removed from the unit while it is in place. You can replace the flap assy or repair it. I believe the cost is fairly high from Ford so I chose a repair. I think the result is stronger than the new part anyway. Drill a small hole through both the arm and the broken shaft. Glue and place a small bolt to secure the arm to the shaft.
Make sure the glue doesn't glue the flap to the cover while it dries, then reassemble.

Before I tackled it I just moved the flap to closed and drilled a screw into the unit to hold the flap in the closed position. This was done through the Glove box opening.

Hope this assists you.
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well theres a pic of mine, as broken as ever, and I cant see anyway to fix it. Its up against the side of the body, and im going to need to pull the dash to get it to work. And to think, this all started because i wanted to see whether mines broken! It doesnt look to bad from this angle, but it is indeed broken. If you look just below the pivot point youll see the stressed plastic :cry:

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

well i was thinking if i can get in there and just actully move the vent to the re-circ position and have it stay there it would be fine coz i dont need to have fresh air all the time. Would thta be a bad idea?

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

siradam86 wrote:
well i was thinking if i can get in there and just actully move the vent to the re-circ position and have it stay there it would be fine coz i dont need to have fresh air all the time. Would thta be a bad idea?

nOW THERES A SIMPLE IDEA. rATHER THAN PULL THE DASH, JUST GO UP THROUGH THE VENT IN THE PASSENGERS SIDE. jUST LIFT IT UP AS IT PIVOTS, AND STICK IT OPEN WITH SOMETHING HANDY, EITHER A STICK (stupid caps, sorry) or some bluetack or tape. Simple

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

and if you need fresh air, open one or all of the four 'fresh air vents' you already have - ie. windows.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

siradam86 wrote:

Exactly what i do. when i want it on fresh air, jush swivel the vent closed and wedge one of those old fashioned three pronged peg jobies in it, and bingo! the recirc vent is closed. then 10 mins later, i pull over and take the peg out to stop the missus whining about her feet being cold... :roll:

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:54 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
siradam86 wrote:

nOW THERES A SIMPLE IDEA. rATHER THAN PULL THE DASH, JUST GO UP THROUGH THE VENT IN THE PASSENGERS SIDE. jUST LIFT IT UP AS IT PIVOTS, AND STICK IT OPEN WITH SOMETHING HANDY, EITHER A STICK (stupid caps, sorry) or some bluetack or tape. Simple

2mm hole drilled into air box, self-tapper screw (which wouldn't self tap). and the body of a contortionist to hold the recirc door up, while screwing in the screw.

Image Image

full sized: http://fordmods.datamine.tk/img_0003.jpg / http://fordmods.datamine.tk/img_0004.jpg

Must put the screw at the bottom part of the 'bulge' cause that is where the door sits when in the up (re-cric) position. the door will then just sit on the screw, I used one about 8mm long.

Great band-aid soltion for us EF/EL people who don't want to remove the dash to get to the arm, and are happy with re-circ only.

BTW: For those interested in the extra cables I've got going into the glovebox, they are (left to right). shift-kit switch, 12V power, USB, VGA, IR remote sensor extension. The last four of course are for my entertainment PC sitting in the boot. The only one needed for day-to-day use is the IR remote, the others only need to be hooked up for screen and keyboard/mouse.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

VIC, Australia

Sounds to me that if the air isn't getting cold even when you leave it on for a long time, that you are outa gas again buddy! Most A/c Joints just top up the gas, and don't find/rectify the origional leak!

The Ute with the Most

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next