Fordmods Logo

Adding cruise control to EF GLi 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Adding cruise control to EF GLi
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:18 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

I am in the middle of adding a cruise control to my EF GLi I6 auto.
The wiring loom EF10C975B suggested in the mod doc "Adding Cruise Control to EF/EL Model Falcons" is no longer available from Ford but i have picked up an NF loom from the wreckers to butcher for my needs.
The aim is a near factory look in the wiring but with some compromises to make the job easier and less time consuming :)

The brake peddle switch wiring, clock spring wiring and earth wiring is rather simple and easy to do.

But it gets a little complicated when hooking up the speed wire and the cruise lamp wire to the instrument cluster.
"Changing Instruments Document Description" mod doc specifies plug pinouts but it is unclear to me which is the left and right connector, is it referenced to looking at the cluster from the rear ?
Should be using "speed in" or "speed out" ?

Can anyone clarify which plugs (and which pin position within these plugs) these two wires go to within the GLi instrument cluster.

While i am at it, may as well install the wiring for the coolant and washer level sensors :)

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:44 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Anyone have any idea how the left and right hand side instrument cluster pin outs are arranged when looking at the rear of the male plugs (the side of the plug that the wires enter) ?

Cheers

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

i did as u did, and hacked down a factory loom.
everything connects to those 2 big plugs behind the fuse panel, all the colours matched up anyway (i think 1 might not if its an EL loom)
but i didnt get anything from the cluster etc, just the big wiring connector.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:05 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The NF loom i butched effectively gives me "cut down cruise loom" which, if i understand you correctly, i can run from the engine bay to the back of the big white plug pack behind the fuse pannel.

But when pulling apart the NF loom, i found that it contains the big white plug pack, the brake peddel switch, the clutch switch (looped in auto) and the speed wire that goes to the ECU. But the cruise control connection for these wires is internal to the loom via crimp connectors.
(using crimp connectors internal to a loom is a cheep and somewhat s**t method in my opinion - poor one Mr. Ford).
I also found within the NF loom, the cruise wires going to the instrument cluster, earth and steering wheel buttons go through the big white plug pack and into the dash loom.

But are you saying that all the wires required by the cruise control are already installed in the standard EF GLi loom that runs up into the back of the dash and hence the instrument console ?

If that's the case, it seems even simpler but i guess i will still have to pull out the dash to get access to the big white plug pack :( which i would like to avoid :)

Cheers

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

With the GLI you will have to do the whole wiring thing yourself etc., You will have to splice in to the speed sensor wire out?? and cut the wire to the cruise light and add the wire in etc.,

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:50 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

That's what i suspected eagleaus, lots of stuffing around under the dash.

To much to do this weekend so the car will have to wait (but will have a quick look under the dash on sunday).

My EF GLi being an auto, and keeping it as simple as possible, all i have to do is:
splice into the wipe motor earth wire,
splice two wires either side of the brake peddel switch,
replace two wires to the clock spring,
splice into the speed signal to the ECU (from the dash),
run a wire to the cruise lamp and insert a globe.

Oh and add two wires for washer and coolent warning lights from the engine bay to the instrument cluster.

Probably run the home made loom through the clutch cable opening.
This seems the easiest way to do it in a GLi auto but not quite factory :)

Probably the most anoying thing is finding that the cruise control motor needs the dash to massage the speed pulse from the speed sensor. This makes it a little harder to use the ford cruise control in another car :(

When i have finished the install and worked out how to post pictures, i will give a clearer rundow of the process.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

There is already a globe in the dash??.A hint for wiring is to pull out a length of wire, fold it and feed thru the clutch cable hole.This saves time rather then feeding each wire thru.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

WIring in an EF GLi exists between the dash and the big white plug.
the only wiring missing is that that goes from the big white plug to the engine bay.
i installed all this on mine, and all i did was crimp in about 6 connectors to near the white connector.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:11 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Have almost completed the cruise control install and it works :)

Most of my time was spent working out which looms the cruise wires pass through in a factory system and where they end up.

The result is that in my mid 96 GLi auto, all that is needed is to make a simple cruise loom and do some simple work under the dash.

The pins and wires of my new cruise loom are pluged or spliced into the back of the big white loom plug behind the fuse box.
One wire needs to be spliced into the glob side of the brake switch.
Thats it :)

Nothing needed to be done with the instrument cluster, no wires, no globes as they are already included :)

Only the cruise buttons remain.
I can not find them for a reasonable price at wreaking yards.
So i made up my own buttons to test the unit.
It all works fine.

When i find some well priced cruise switches, i will post pictures and a clearer outline of my install.

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

they do pop up on ebay everynow and then... or Darren might have a set at a decent price for you.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Have almost completed the cruise control install and it works :)

Most of my time was spent working out which looms the cruise wires pass through in a factory system and where they end up.

The result is that in my mid 96 GLi auto, all that is needed is to make a simple cruise loom and do some simple work under the dash.

The pins and wires of my new cruise loom are pluged or spliced into the back of the big white loom plug behind the fuse box.
One wire needs to be spliced into the glob side of the brake switch.
Thats it :)

Nothing needed to be done with the instrument cluster, no wires, no globes as they are already included :)

Only the cruise buttons remain.
I can not find them for a reasonable price at wreaking yards.
So i made up my own buttons to test the unit.
It all works fine.

When i find some well priced cruise switches, i will post pictures and a clearer outline of my install.

Cheers.

Well done mate. Sounds impressive.

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

i wouldnt even bother i barely ever use cruise control so i wouldnt waste my time

Team EGO

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hi ef falcon
are the colours of the wires at the back of the white plug the same as the ones to the plug on the cruise control unit itself as when i got mine they just cut the plug off with about 100mm of wire

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

From what i recall, all except 1 wire was matching colour, there was 1 that changed from EF to EL.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:08 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hi jmac, the colors AND PIN# of the wires at the cruise module are:

1. LB/W instrument cluster lamp
3. W To speed output signal from cluster
4. G/W To brake peddel switch (lamp side)
(auto only, otherwise to clutch switch)
5. O/Y To wheel buttons
6. B To wheel buttons
7. G/R Brake fluid switch AND stop lamp fuse
9. LG Brake fluid switch
10.B Earth

(LB=light blue, W=white, G=green, O=orange, Y=yellow, LG=light green or maybe violet/white)

Wires 1 & 5 pins simply plug into the behind of the big white plug as the other side (same wire colors) is already wired :)
Wires 3 & 7 splice into existing wires (same colors) behind the big white plug.
Wire 6 replaces an existing pin (black whire) behind the big white plug.

Wire 4 goes to the lamp side of the brake switch.
Wire 10 goes splices into the earth wire at the wiper motor plug.

I routed my home made loom through the firewall gromet behind the big white plug. Not very difficuty as i used a cordless drill with a 10mm bit to make a small hole that you can drag the wire through. The hole was near the original loom but a little to the left (passenger side) of the gromet center and end up sealling well against my loom so no smells from the engine bay :).

The wire colors are the same in 96 NF and GLI's so i don't expect much of a change in later years. In fact ford uses the same wire colors in the capri cruise control found at my local wreckers.

The tricky bit is that there are a number of same color wires at the back of the big white plug so you need to be careful which you use :)

I will soon try and and post a picture here that may help (once i work out how to do that).

Unfortunately still looking for my wheel buttons, nothing on ebay and haven't contacted darren as yet :(

Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next