Fordmods Logo

Adding rear electric windows to a BF Wagon - doable? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Adding rear electric windows to a BF Wagon - doable?
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2016 Territory TS SZ MKII

NSW, Australia

...Since its the windows, I'm not quite sure if this belongs in interior or exterior mods.

My parents recently bought a used 2006 BF Wagon, and find the rear manual windows a pain. There are quite often people in the back, meaning that the windows are always getting left open.

Firstly, is it even possible to get the gear necessary to make the rear windows electric? All the sedans/wagons I've seen so far only have manual rear, and the Ford dealer they bought it off ummed and ahhed and seemed very reluctant to discuss adding rear electric.

Secondly, what parts would be needed to add them? Seems most of the doors would have to be replaced, and we might be better off just finding intact doors instead.

Finally, how hard would it be to install? We popped off the drivers side control panel and the plug is only half full, which probably means that theres no wiring going to the back doors (besides the central locking).

They don't mind spending some money on it, but my worry is getting the parts, and if its actually possible to wire them through to the front without a lot of hassle.

Can anyone help out with info on sourcing parts or installation tips?

Post subject: Re: Adding rear electric windows to a BF Wagon - doable?
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it can be done but would take some effort to get it as goo as factory. Seeing as it has front electrics, it shouldnt be too bad. How are ya at electronics? Ive found the ford window electrics to be a bit of a head f**k. Best to raid a car at the wreckers.
If you need a 4 window switch i think i have one layin round at home.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2016 Territory TS SZ MKII

NSW, Australia

I've found getting the window switches is the easy part. I'm most worried about how to actually get the window wiring through to the drivers panel, especially the rear left when the panel is front right.
I'm OK at electronics. Read somewhere that my EL uses 2 wires per window and swaps the voltages depending on the window direction. I'm guessing the BF uses the same kind of system which (looking at my workshop manual) would mean feeding 3 wires per door through to the back, which would then feed into the rear switches with 2 wires then going to the motors.

The best way to get the complete parts for the doors will most likely be to find the doors intact (by intact I mean the doors can be totally mangled, so long as the parts/trim needed for the windows are fine and can be transplanted to new doors), but as I said I have yet to see any with rear electric windows, let alone at a wreckers.

...Do electric and manual windows use the same window panes? My parents car has tinted windows which they would like to keep.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes the window glass's are the same. They are a white clip that you pop off with a flat head. Im more confused about the wiring too the switch. I think there are more wires that logical. I think 5 or 5 per switch? And thats not the illuminated switches either.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

You will need the back two electric window regulator mechanisms, and doortrims including switches. Swap the back door looms and the floor/body loom for BF Futura Wagon items. Easiest way, everything will be as if it left the factory that way.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]