Fordmods Logo

Aircon leak above passenger footwell 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Aircon leak above passenger footwell
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hi guys. I have a 2002 BA XLS?one tonne ute with approx 170,000 k`s on it.The other day, which was quite hot,(I am in WA) I had the aircon on and i noticed as I turned a right hand corner that water was dripping from below the glove box up near the sloping part of the footwell down into the floor of the footwell. Also I could hear the fan labouring as if it was spinning in water but this noise would only happen if I turned right as if water is sloshing to the left as i turn.
Does anyone have any idea what would cause this and how to fix it. I have had a bit of a look on here but can`t seem to find much.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Aircon leak above passenger footwell
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

This happened to me in my EF
it is the A/c drain hose is either blocked or kinked not allowing the water to get out and thats why its leaking inside the car

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

THis is copied from ford forums so should help you out abit ;)

If your having troubles with the A/C and ice forming,the problem is sometimes the drain tube for the evaporator can block,and as the water cannot drain out,it starts to freeze if you have the A/C turned on.When you turn a corner,you will sometimes hear the water slushing around in the fan,you will also suffer from wet feet.

1;Drive car onto a set of ramps/and or onto a set of chassis stands(the front of vehicle needs to be off the ground).Chock back wheels,remove key from ignition.

2;Crawling under the car,you need to be on the drivers side of the gearbox.This is best done when the car is cold,as you have to reach over the gearbox.

3;Look up towards the floor pan straight above the gearbox(this is at the bell housing end of the gearbox)you will see a rubber bung of sorts,it nearly sits flush with the floor pan,it points towards the engine

4;To clean the drain out,use a longish plastic zip tie,insert it into the drain,and run it up and down and around and around.When you have done this,there a few ways to go.You can either shut all the vents in the car,turn A/C on with the fan onto highest setting,and when the evaporator starts removing moisture,the condensation will trickle out the drain hole.Another way is to shut all the vents,and using an air compressor with an air gun,place the gun nozzle into a vent,and try blowing the crap like that.I have only ever used that on my Landcruiser work ute,not sure if it would work on B series(drain in a different spot)

5;If it is still not draining,just repeat the steps again,sometimes it can take a few goes if there is alot of crap in there.When it starts to drain properly,be sure to run the Heater on its highest setting(fan too),with the vents all closed,this will help dry out the vents,ducting,fan,etc.You might notice a bit of a smell afterwards,even for awhile.You can buy a Disenfectant that you spray into the Evaporator core,as Algae grows there,and thats where sum of the smell comes from.It is a special kind of Disenfectant,made especially for A/C systems,and can be fpoun/orderd at most auto stores,and any A/C service store(car or home)

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for that Justin-A i`ll have a look and let you know how I went.
Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]