Fordmods Logo

Another solution for XH Smartlock programming 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Another solution for XH Smartlock programming
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont, XD Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

I have an 1999 XH Panelvan and the Smartlock keyfob, which came with the car when I bought it, was broken and had rust throughout.

I purchased a good quality secondhand keyfob, searched FordMods for the instructions and then attempted to follow them.

Taking a seat behind the steering wheel brought forth a loud "WTF?", the van did not have a rear demister switch. Searching through the instructions (which I re-read more carefully) I found the programming could be done by placing a jumper wire on the Diagnostic Connector (which resides under the right-hand side of the steering column).

"Top row, second from the right" said the instructions, "earth the wire after the door locks cycle" and I did just that... nothing... after many aggravated hours of trying different combinations AND making sure all the doors were closed etc...

I came up with a different solution:

1. Remove the dash fascia. This involves removing the 2 screws on the top of the dash fascia, 2 screws up underneath the dash (either side of the steering column) and finally the 2 screws under the switches (one either side of the dash).

2. Disconnect the wiring from the headlight switch as this makes it easier to swing the dash fascia around to get to the wiring on the other side.

3. Disconnect the wire/connector from the transmission "Power" switch.

4. Disconnect the other connector clipped into the blanking plate. This is for the rear demister.

5. Clip the wires/connector for the rear demister on to the Power switch (make sure the switch is off - not pressed in AND there is a fuse in the fusebox for the rear demister).

6. Make sure all doors are closed and all accessories are turned off.

7. Put your key in the ignition and turn it to accessories (first position).

8. Within 5 seconds toggle the "Power" switch (on-off, on-off, on-off). This will cycle the door locks showing you the Smartlock is in learning mode.

9. Press one of the buttons on the keyfob. This will cycle the door locks once again (do the same with each keyfob you wish to add - up to 4 keyfobs can be programmed in and the door locks will cycle after each one you add).

10. Turn your ignition switch to the off position and then test to make sure each keyfob operates the Smartlock.

11. Put the rear demister connector back into the blanking plate, connect the transmission power switch to the correct connector, connect up the headlight switch and then screw the dash fascia back into place.

This technique worked perfectly for me, I hope this helps anyone else who is having trouble adding a keyfob to their Smartlock system.

Cheers,
Glenn
X-DV8

'80 XD Fairmont Ghia (X-DV8), 351, AOD, B&M MegaShifter, 3.23-9" Diff, XE Ghia Headlights, Clear Front Indicators, Fairlane Grille, XF Front Bumper, XF Taillights & Fuel Filler Cover, Fairlane Dash, LTD F & R Headrests, LTD Dome Light, XF Center Console & Alarm.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You can also get the upper plug from an EF BEM (which fits the diagnosis connector)and add a switch to it to do the same function, sp you plug it in when needed to train a keyfob.
Also can add same if you buy one of Muzza's diagnostic test boxes.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Good work as Smart Lock is a pain to work with, submit this to the Tech Doco's forum under smart lock for the XH.

MEMBER 1390

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]