Fordmods Logo

anybody know how to clean seats? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: anybody know how to clean seats?
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EFII Falcon Gli

QLD, Australia

gasdea wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
I use the Britex and the upholstry brush you hire from the supermarket.
Always works well for me.

hmmm whats britex man?

They are the carpet/upholstery cleaners you can rent from woolies, ive been wanting to hire one and do my seats for a while, but i havent gotten round to it yet, think they are around $30 for 4 hrs or $40 for 24hrs. Downside is you have to buy your own britex brand detergents, which i think are about $20-$30 a bottle.

EF Falcon Gli
-2.5" Exhaust, King Super/Ultra lows, Alted Performance Cam, 3.45 LSD, T5 conversion

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

gasdea wrote:
citrus cleaner? hmmmm haha how did you get onto that?
i tried with some meguires upholstery cleaner and it was an epic fail.
anyone had ANY luck at all with the foam type cleaners?

our contract cleaners do offices,lunch rooms,showers etc where you have,grease,paint,textas,human skin oil and all that stuff.i used a sample on 20 year old storage cabinets that had spray paint,greases,textas and oils,mild thinners got some with a lot of work,kero moved some with a lot of work,tried this stuff-sprayed it on and waited about a minute,pulled all the stuff of almost straight away,the rags so dirty you smear it back over,have to use clean spots.if you want an even colour do it twice and rinse wipe with water soaked rag--and its still getting dirty.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

just got a NL for cheep the seats were filth hadnt been wased in over ten years got a steam cleaner and elbow grease came up brand new (if the leather wasnt f**k :wink: )

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

well might go with the take them out and pressure wash them option. seems to be the most effective.
haha.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have had success cleaning cloth & velour E series seats with a combination of export brand interior cleaner in a can, that you buy from supercheap auto, and the local car's washes high pressure wash. I take a seat at a time down there in the back of my mighty boy ute, and usually at a time when nobody is around so you don't piss someone off with your piss f@rt around in the carwash, spray the seats with interior cleaner.

Let 'em soak in, then blast them with the high pressure wash. It's amazing how much dirt comes out of the seats! I wouldn't do it in winter unless you can sit them in a heated room at home to dry out quickly. In good weather, a day in the sun dries them out.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
If you can be bothered, you can remove the actual covers off the seat foam. Soak the covers in some detergent...Omo, morning fresh etc (obviously not bleech) and then attack with high pressure hose.
Or lots of elbow grease and start scrubbing.
I always thought the foam would soak the water up...so I'd pull the seat covers off.

This method does work well - you also get to see how the foam cushions look like - hit them with some cleaner and a hose too.
You can run the fabric covers in a washing machine - try a gentle cycle.
Hand wash them though - if the foam inserts look crumbly with age, otherwise, the washing machine will have foam everywhere when it's finished.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

[quote="snap0964]This method does work well - you also get to see how the foam cushions look like - hit them with some cleaner and a hose too.
You can run the fabric covers in a washing machine - try a gentle cycle.
Hand wash them though - if the foam inserts look crumbly with age, otherwise, the washing machine will have foam everywhere when it's finished.[/quote]
ahhh ok, how do i go about pulling them off and putting them on the right way again? is it a b**ch to put back good?

Last edited by gasdea on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
I have had success cleaning cloth & velour E series seats with a combination of export brand interior cleaner in a can, that you buy from supercheap auto, and the local car's washes high pressure wash. I take a seat at a time down there in the back of my mighty boy ute, and usually at a time when nobody is around so you don't piss someone off with your piss f@rt around in the carwash, spray the seats with interior cleaner.

Let 'em soak in, then blast them with the high pressure wash. It's amazing how much dirt comes out of the seats! I wouldn't do it in winter unless you can sit them in a heated room at home to dry out quickly. In good weather, a day in the sun dries them out.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I'm cleaning velour eb fairmont seats ATM and I'm using the foaming export brand Interior cleaner and armorall multipurpose cleaner plent of elbow grease and they have come up immaculate. just gotta do the front seats ! they look like there gonna be.a shinners trip !!

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeah i havnt really had much luck witht that foaming s**t

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:53 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

f**k it, it just going to high pressure wash them

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
I still swear on the rug doctors wet vacs you hire. It soaks the seat with cleaner and sucks out the water.

Does an amazing job.

On teh worst ones, you go high pressure. On not so bad ones, this is the way for DIY.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

When I had my opt20 it had stained/tainted back seats and nothing I tried got them looking any better until one of my dad's friends dry cleaned them with some stuff he had for his business...

after being dry cleaned they looked as good as new, I would recommend that approach to anyone!

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

old thread, but at least I'm not the first one to jump on it :) hahaha

bought my car last week, and the previous owner must have been an absolute pig, because the seats looked black in most parts.
a bit of carpet power/preen for carpets etc, rub it in with a damp cloth, leave it for 5, and go at it afterwards with a $50 clothes steamer from kmart, and it got rid of absolutely everything, so i'd definitely recommend this approach!

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2