AU cluster 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AU cluster
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: au

WA, Australia

I've stuffed my cluster and cant seem to find a replacement. so i need to know if either a ts50 or xr cluster off a series one will fit in my dash.
ts50 has battery volt metre and oil pressure guage, so all i have to do is put in a oil sensor instead of my oil pressure switch, and then what do i do about hooking up the voltmetre sensor?. Are the wiring looms all the same on series 1.
Cheers
Blair

ts50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true

futura style
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/ ... 90597s.jpg

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

what care u got at the moment?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hey mate, either should work fine, depends what you've got at the moment as to how much rewiring you'd have to do. I might be selling an XR Tickford cluster for an AU1 actually, it's in my car at the moment but I'm taking it out, it's got 96000kms on it. You can get the XR ones for around 200 bucks too.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

well i have a series 1 futura.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

It'd be overkill to go for a T series dash, any features it has over an XR cluster you'd need a Fairmont to take advantage of. I know there's a lot of guys on fordforums.com.au who've put the XR clusters in their futura's and forte's and other 'low series' dash cars. Apparently it's reasonably easy, the following is info from this site:

Upgrading and swapping Instrument Clusters

With exception to the Low Series Instrument cluster, it is possible to change between different Cluster models rather painlessly.
All AU Series 1 Instrument Clusters use the same Electrical Connectors, (2 Connectors), but for the Low Series Cluster, some wires need to be moved around for the Left Hand Side Connector, In order for the Mid/High Series Cluster to function correctly.
The Mid, Police and High Series Clusters all use the same connectors, same Bulb holders, same needles, and Depending on the Cluster Series, very similar/Same circuit boards.
The AU Series I Mid and High Series Clusters use a different LCD Panel, but the wiring (With Exception to the extra Door Outline Wiring) is 100% Compatible.
That is, if swapping a Mid Series Cluster for a High Series Cluster, you will need to run new wiring from all 4 Doors, to the Instrument Cluster Wiring Harness

Some important steps to watch out for when doing an Instrument Cluster conversion will include,

1. The Odometer Reading will need to be changed. (Remember your Pinkslip will have this reading on it from your previous years Registration - There is a $10,000 fine for Fraudulantly Winding Back your Odometer Reading.)

2. If Upgrading from a Base Instrument Cluster, The Oil Pressure Switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.

4. If adding the Low Windscreen Washer Level Warning Lamp, a new Washer Bottle, with Level sensor, and an extra line will need to be added for the Warning to work.

Some Common misconceptions with the Ford Falcon series Clusters include
1. The Odometer Readings can be swapped, changed or kept. The Odometer Reading is held within the Instrument Cluster, not within the EEC-V Engine Management, nor does the Instrument Cluster have a Backup Memory, or a Tamper-proof mechanism to deter Odometer Fraud !

2. There is no Electrical, or Calibration Difference within the speedo sections of the cluster, in terms of different Factory fitted Diffs, wheel, and Tyre Ratios. Changing Clusters will not alter the Factory speedo readings.

3. It is not possible to use an XR Series II Face, on a Low or High Series Cluster ! This is due to the Maximum speed on the cluster face, which means that the speed increments are slightly compressed.
The XR Series Cluster circuit board takes this compression in consideration when moving the speedo needle, and as such, you would need to swap the complete cluster over to use the XR Face.

Wiring changes required when fitting a Mid/High Series Cluster to a Forte/Futura Model Falcon.
Although the Mid and High Series Clusters will simply plug in, and A L M O S T function, there a re a few changes you will need to make, in order to get the Cluster to function correctly.
These changes are needed in order for the following to function,

Dial Illumination with Park Lamps On

The ABS Warning Lamp to Illuminate correctly

The Right Hand Side Indicator Lamp to function Correctly

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,

1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2.

2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3.

3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23

4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

no worries. is mine classed as a low series or series 1 ???? its a 98

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

low high or mid series refers to forte/futura/fairmont etc. XR's were mid series (or sports series), fairmonts and fairmont ghias and fairlanes were high series and everything else was low series. check out http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=4
Series 1 2 or 3 referred to the years made (sort of).
So you've got a series 1 with a low series dash. Cheers, Matt.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

ohhhhhh gotcha.. sweet as cheers matt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]