Fordmods Logo

AU cruise control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: AU cruise control
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU XR6 + EFF XR8

VIC, Australia

Good afternoon everyone - got a problem in the Misses AU XR6. bloody cruise control wont work. I turn the switch and nothing comes up on the dash. I have checked all fuses (in car) and all brake lights are working fine also. Drove it or 6 hours yesterday and it worked perfectly - stopped for fuel and when i blasted off again - Nothing!!!
Any help - tips - advice greatly appreciated..... :)

DUDE, if the tyres aint smok'n then somethings wrong

Post subject: Re: AU cruise control
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

its on the same fuse as the brake lamps from memory

have you unplugged the module and checked for power at the plug with a test lamp or multimeter... If you get nothing show up on the dash ("cruise") when you hit "on", i'd first assume module has no power... Like I said if you probe the plug you should see power there... Green w/ Red should be the power wire (key will need to be "on")

If you do I'd next assume broken clock spring... Bit harder to check... Try other things, horn works? No airbag warning (because bag would be disconnected with a broken clock spring)?

If you still don't get "cruise" to come up the testing gets a bit more in depth...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU XR6 + EFF XR8

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
its on the same fuse as the brake lamps from memory

have you unplugged the module and checked for power at the plug with a test lamp or multimeter... If you get nothing show up on the dash ("cruise") when you hit "on", i'd first assume module has no power... Like I said if you probe the plug you should see power there... Green w/ Red should be the power wire (key will need to be "on")

If you do I'd next assume broken clock spring... Bit harder to check... Try other things, horn works? No airbag warning (because bag would be disconnected with a broken clock spring)?

If you still don't get "cruise" to come up the testing gets a bit more in depth...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks Tim - will check in the morning

DUDE, if the tyres aint smok'n then somethings wrong

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II Falcon

New Zealand

Hi, don't mean to hijack but my cruise isn't working either, AUII Falcon, "cruise" comes up on the dash but i can't get it to activate. In have only just brought the car so don't know how long it hasn't been working.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If it wont set it will be one of three things...

1) The back up switch on the master cylinder is open circuit... To check, unplug and stick a multimeter accross it... You're wanting to hear the beep (Closed Circuit)... If you hear no beep replace...

2) Buttons aren't working / Broken circuit to cruise module... To check, unplug cruise module (carefuly not break clip off it, you press it in and pull to unplug) and stick multi meter probes into the Black & Orange w/ Yellow wires... Press set + on the wheel... Multimeter should show 680 ohms... Set - should show 120 ohms and coast should show 2200 ohms...

3) Speed signal isn't getting to the cruise module... Bit hard to check because its a wave so really needs and oscilloscope...

Only other thing that causes it to cancel is when the brake lights come on (picks up power off the brake light line) so unless your brake lights are stuck on that wont be a problem...

I'm hoping it will be one of the top two reasons...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]