Fordmods Logo

AU FAIRLANE TRIP COMPUTER DISPLAY 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU FAIRLANE TRIP COMPUTER DISPLAY
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi, I am new to this site.

Just purchased a 1999 AU Fairlane Ghia. Its fairly rough and has done 350,000kms, but I just need something to drive to and from the local railway station.

Can anybody tell me how simple it is to fix/swap the trip computer/climate control display, as I am unable to read mine (digits missing etc).

If there is a tech article, can somebody point me to it?

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

I'm not 100% sure how they work, but i know when i got the one for my ef, I found the backlights are quite screwy, so I had to wiggle those to get them right, this my be the case or even may be the backlight globes are blown, as I suspect replacing the whole unit if you have to could turn out a quite expensive process potentially. Good luck with it anyway, I'm bout to try and readjust my backlights as they went out again couple days ago.
:roll:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fairlane AU

SA, Australia

G'day
I had the exact same problem with my fairlane, digits were missing bits here and there but everything still worked.
It's easy as to change, even though i didn't do it the guy i bough the part from did, and should take bout 5-10 mins.
You'll need to buy a new display unit, not cheap, about $250 from memory but look around if you can.
The black surrond around your clock with come off with a light tug and there will be a single screw. undo that and the entire unit will come out revealing 2 plugs (maybe 3 plugs - can't remember). Simply unplug them and then plug in the new unit.
Now at this stage I think you have to do a bit of a sequence with pushing buttons or starting your car or something. All of this should be explained when you get a new unit on paper or the person replacing it should know.
I got my unit form a small company that repairs the units for Jarvis Ford (in SA) since I know someone that works there i got to ditch the middle man and save $$$. This happens or will happen of almost all AU fairlanes and is a common problem so a repaired one will be fine to use.
Anyway i hope this helps you out. I would try your local ford dealership to get the unit or, if they are decent blokes, they could tell you were to go to fix it.

Ford AU2 Fairlane Sportsman
So Far: K&N Filter, Eagle Leads, 18" Tickford Azzurro Wheels, Xenon Headlights, SS Induction, Blue LED Interior Lights, Lowered, 2.5" Exhaust with Pacemakers, 3" Intake.
To Come: DVD Player/Screen, Brake Upgrade... Neverending really

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

A guy on ebay used to do swap over reco units. He sends u one of the reco ones and then u send back ur old stuffed one. Its the LCD screens in em they are easily broken.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks everybody, I just found a bloke who can fix it.

http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index_ford.html

This bloke seems good. Have booked in for a changeover on Saturday.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fairlane AU

SA, Australia

Looks good. Cheap too.
Hope all work out for ya

Ford AU2 Fairlane Sportsman
So Far: K&N Filter, Eagle Leads, 18" Tickford Azzurro Wheels, Xenon Headlights, SS Induction, Blue LED Interior Lights, Lowered, 2.5" Exhaust with Pacemakers, 3" Intake.
To Come: DVD Player/Screen, Brake Upgrade... Neverending really

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]