Fordmods Logo

au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
thanks mate you have helped heaps so if i plug the nf/nl cluster in as is without chaanging anything at all everything will work except door adjar and boot/fuel adjar like all lights gauges and auto poition will work fine


Nope, no go there.

It will not plug straight in at all.

There was a seller on Ebay selling a pre made adaptor loom, but can't seem to find it right now. Was approx $50 from memory.

Re the switches with the broken tabs, I really can't envisage how you could keep them in place considering the tight tolerances around the door catch.

Cheers
BenJ


isnt wasnt one of the four plugs the same?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

Yes, but the std cluster has two plugs, and only one is the same. You need to build an adaptor loom for the 2nd and 3rd plugs, as well as a loom for the 4th if you want to enable the blown bulb function.

BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Cool cheers Ben...

The right hand one is yes... The left hand one which does some lights and gauges is split in two so you need to adapt the one plug into two smaller ones to go into the left hand side of the cluster... One of the two is the door ajar stuff... The other is similar to your left hand connector but has less pins... Yours is 16 and the NF/NL is 12 or something like that.... physically wont fit... Hence the patch harness that is required...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Cool cheers Ben...

The right hand one is yes... The left hand one which does some lights and gauges is split in two so you need to adapt the one plug into two smaller ones to go into the left hand side of the cluster... One of the two is the door ajar stuff... The other is similar to your left hand connector but has less pins... Yours is 16 and the NF/NL is 12 or something like that.... physically wont fit... Hence the patch harness that is required...

Cheers,
Tim


could cut the plug off the nf/nl harness and wire to the fairmont loom?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

That is essentially making your adaptor loom, so yes, but you would need two plugs as if you don't add resistors to the door ajar wiring, they will flap at you all the time.

Cheers
BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Yeah you could... Or do what I do and get the NF/NL plugs (may as well get all 4)... And get an old crappy fairmont cluster... Unsolder the two plugs... And then wire them to the NF/NL plugs so you have a patch harness and this way you can easily unplug it and return it to factory or transfer to another car if need be... NF/NL dash plugs aren't the most common thing to find...

Be sure to double check the right hand one pins too... Again pin out info is all in the resources tab in the navi bar under the tech docs section and scroll down to EF/EL...

Image

I did it here... You can see the NF/NL plugs in the bottom of the cluster... All 3 of them...

The black plugs on the back are EA-ED plugs and I screwed them to a similar spot to where they were on the EA cluster I destroyed... The white plug under them is the other stuff I need to pick up to make it work... Including the smart lock light, the tacho, and the data line... All of which are in your two plugs but because this is an ED I needed to pick these up from other plugs around the car...

This way I unplug my NL cluster and an ED plugs straight back in...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
That is essentially making your adaptor loom, so yes, but you would need two plugs as if you don't add resistors to the door ajar wiring, they will flap at you all the time.

Cheers
BenJ


so theres no way of turning off door adjar?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
That is essentially making your adaptor loom, so yes, but you would need two plugs as if you don't add resistors to the door ajar wiring, they will flap at you all the time.

Cheers
BenJ


so theres no way of turning off door adjar?



Nope, you need to either have it connected, or solder in the correct expected resistor value so that the cluster believes it is connected.


Cheers
BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Yeah you could... Or do what I do and get the NF/NL plugs (may as well get all 4)... And get an old crappy fairmont cluster... Unsolder the two plugs... And then wire them to the NF/NL plugs so you have a patch harness and this way you can easily unplug it and return it to factory or transfer to another car if need be... NF/NL dash plugs aren't the most common thing to find...

Be sure to double check the right hand one pins too... Again pin out info is all in the resources tab in the navi bar under the tech docs section and scroll down to EF/EL...

Image

I did it here... You can see the NF/NL plugs in the bottom of the cluster... All 3 of them...

The black plugs on the back are EA-ED plugs and I screwed them to a similar spot to where they were on the EA cluster I destroyed... The white plug under them is the other stuff I need to pick up to make it work... Including the smart lock light, the tacho, and the data line... All of which are in your two plugs but because this is an ED I needed to pick these up from other plugs around the car...

This way I unplug my NL cluster and an ED plugs straight back in...

Cheers,
Tim


have u got a pic of ur nl cluster in ur ed?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:32 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

See the loom pulled across the bottom of the cluster above with the black wire out... In the tape is the resistors and then the black wire is earthed inside the cluster... Sooner or later I will get around to putting the switches in doors...

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:33 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
Yeah you could... Or do what I do and get the NF/NL plugs (may as well get all 4)... And get an old crappy fairmont cluster... Unsolder the two plugs... And then wire them to the NF/NL plugs so you have a patch harness and this way you can easily unplug it and return it to factory or transfer to another car if need be... NF/NL dash plugs aren't the most common thing to find...

Be sure to double check the right hand one pins too... Again pin out info is all in the resources tab in the navi bar under the tech docs section and scroll down to EF/EL...

Image

I did it here... You can see the NF/NL plugs in the bottom of the cluster... All 3 of them...

The black plugs on the back are EA-ED plugs and I screwed them to a similar spot to where they were on the EA cluster I destroyed... The white plug under them is the other stuff I need to pick up to make it work... Including the smart lock light, the tacho, and the data line... All of which are in your two plugs but because this is an ED I needed to pick these up from other plugs around the car...

This way I unplug my NL cluster and an ED plugs straight back in...

Cheers,
Tim


have u got a pic of ur nl cluster in ur ed?



Heaps... Click on my build thread in my signature below (the red words) and scroll through the last few pages...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
Yeah you could... Or do what I do and get the NF/NL plugs (may as well get all 4)... And get an old crappy fairmont cluster... Unsolder the two plugs... And then wire them to the NF/NL plugs so you have a patch harness and this way you can easily unplug it and return it to factory or transfer to another car if need be... NF/NL dash plugs aren't the most common thing to find...

Be sure to double check the right hand one pins too... Again pin out info is all in the resources tab in the navi bar under the tech docs section and scroll down to EF/EL...

Image

I did it here... You can see the NF/NL plugs in the bottom of the cluster... All 3 of them...

The black plugs on the back are EA-ED plugs and I screwed them to a similar spot to where they were on the EA cluster I destroyed... The white plug under them is the other stuff I need to pick up to make it work... Including the smart lock light, the tacho, and the data line... All of which are in your two plugs but because this is an ED I needed to pick these up from other plugs around the car...

This way I unplug my NL cluster and an ED plugs straight back in...

Cheers,
Tim


have u got a pic of ur nl cluster in ur ed?



Heaps... Click on my build thread in my signature below (the red words) and scroll through the last few pages...

Cheers,
Tim


having the dash pluged in the way you do what works on it and what does the door adjar do?

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 887

Joined: 13th Mar 2011

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1999 Ford AU1 Forte Wagon

Location: Morwell
VIC, Australia

also another mod i would like to is put the radio buttons from au2/3 onto my ef wheel is this possible as my stereo supports radio buttons on steering wheels

 

_________________

1999 AU Forte Wagon Fairly Stock

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

I put in resistors to show all doors closed and fuel flap and boot closed...

Everything I need works...

Stuff that doesn't is:

The gear indicator in the middle (I have a manual so it is blacked out)
The self leveling suss warning lamp (I don't have it)
The fog light lamp (I don't have any)
The ABS lamp (I don't have it)
The airbag lamp (I don't have any)

Pretty sure every other lamp works as intended... Only one I haven't tested is the brake fail lamp...

Issues I have is that I need to change the oil pressure sender because the ED one is different to the EF/EL one... Need to wire in door ajar stuff... Need to get rid of my trip computer or modify the system to work with it as I have range issue on the trip computer (another ED - EL compatibility issue)...

But as far as you're concerned you wont have the issues I am yet to nut out...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: au fairmont cluster into ef fairmont
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:52 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
also another mod i would like to is put the radio buttons from au2/3 onto my ef wheel is this possible as my stereo supports radio buttons on steering wheels


Nope...

My sony head unit supports wired remote input and then I have a PAC unit in line which modifies the BA radio button signal I have to Sony signal to operate the head unit...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spinb and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names