Fordmods Logo

AU3 mont cluster LED conv - diff b/w black and brown globes? 

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: AU3 mont cluster LED conv - diff b/w black and brown globes?
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

Take out a EF/EL cluster, then you will know AU's are piss easy in comparison.....

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Au fairmont seires I

QLD, Australia

i sell leds pon ebay but i used these ones for my au as the au had a shallower area for globes then ef el etc
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

People hate the au series but i wouldnt have it any other way!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF MkII GT, FG XR6

SA, Australia

AUII.Denim wrote:

If anyone has worked out how to illuminate the needles when changing to blue back lighting please enlighten me.

I put blue LED's in my missus' AU I and solved the issue of the red needles not illuminating by 'carefully' scratching off the red paint with a utility knife blade. You just need to hold each needle so you don't bend or snap it as you go.

Angle the blade at about 45%-60% and DRAG it - don't push it along. The red coating comes off quite easy and the needles look great illuminated in vivid blue to match the display. I put the led's in a few months ago and still going strong (got them in a pack of 10 for about $2.99 incl postage on ebay)

(Incidentally, I covered the speedo fascia with Carbon Fibre vinyl while I had the lense off - mainly to hide that bloody annoying blinking coolant level warning light that doesn't go away even with a new $80 coolant level switch installed :x ). Will try and take a photo tonight and post it in case anyone's interested.

Attachment:
005 (3).jpg
005 (3).jpg [ 40.55 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
Attachment:
003 (3).jpg
003 (3).jpg [ 33.42 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

BF MkII GT - Silhouette
FG XR6 - Vixen

Last edited by aj1964 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Sorry - deleted - duplicate posting lol. :roll:

BF MkII GT - Silhouette
FG XR6 - Vixen

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Futuraclassic wrote:
i sell leds pon ebay but i used these ones for my au as the au had a shallower area for globes then ef el etc
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

OP here. Definitely looks more compact, I mentioned some time ago in this thread that the Jaycar T5's were too long and fouled in the AU cluster.

Was also interested in these: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/0-1w-t5-2- ... pack-34609

My cluster has 3 or 4 of the Autobarn LEDs blown now, the speedo/tacho is dim and the temp/battery gauges are totally dark (except for when one LED occasionally flickers). So DO NOT buy them from Autobarn.

The only thing I can think of is that the people putting together these T5s must be overdriving the LEDs so that everyone marvels at how bright they are... but that reduces their lifetime significantly. I've been doing electronics for 25+ years, I had never seen an LED flicker until I started fooling around with these stupid car cluster replacement types!

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

heres my cluster with removed orange filter for odometer and gears windows as well. i have also done my c.control.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Futuraclassic, did you convert the climate control to LEDs? VERY interested in doing this since there are blown globes in mine, and AFAIK they're tiny little incandescent globes that are soldered in (same as the headlamp switch?)... no idea where to get incandescent replacements, let alone the LED equivalents. Please tell me you know! :)

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

of course i do, i have been selling them on ebay for awhile now. at the moment i am waiting on a new batch to arrive. yes i did the c. control with leds, just replace the globes with them as with my dash. odometer and climate however are a little more tricky. i had to completely dismantle both to get to the orange filter in them. used nail polish remover to clean the orange off. used a cloth or cotton buds etc. and after rubbing only 10 secs it starts comming off. use a clean cloth to get it all off and white. then replace and you have a new odometer and climate waiting for whatever colour you want in there. worked a treat for mine. looks alot brighter then the pic though.

i sell leds for ef el au ea eb ed as well. i have the ones for t bar surround , dash footwell in front and back etc. if u have any questions dont hesitate to ask. i have stripped just about every cluster from ea to au and i have a good knowledge of the leds. Paul

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Futuraclassic wrote:
.....yes i did the c. control with leds, just replace the globes with them as with my dash. ........ looks alot brighter then the pic though.

Hey Paul

The climate control/trip computer looks great in matching blue. Can you read it clearly in the daylight?

Also, you mention the odometer looks brighter than in the pic. Is it dazzling or too bright at night?

I'm wondering if I could get the same effect by removing the orange from the diffusers and spraying them with a transparent blue auto paint
AJ

BF MkII GT - Silhouette
FG XR6 - Vixen

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Paul-

I have an AUIII so the LCDs (odo, climate, trip) are black on white rather than orange on black, should be no need to fiddle with filters in this case...

Are the LEDs you sell for the CC and trip computer a straight swap for those tiny globes - with an integrated resistor - or did you need to fool around with soldering an inline resistor?

Here's the globes I'm referring to... this is from the headlight switch, do the CC and trip computer have the same tiny globes with the little blue filter boots over them?

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i can see it fine during the day and at night it looks mad. everyone tells me how good it looks. not too bright but i can control dimming brighter or darker with headlight switch. od ometer is only like that cos i used super bright white globes not blu so it looked different from too much blue and also made it easier to read during the day. not sure about the paint but to be honest i wouldnt be painting anything inside a computer like the climate control, especially when i sw one go for almost 300 the other day on ebay. leds are the way to go mate, use less power and are brigher then most globes.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

rowan194 wrote:
Paul-

I have an AUIII so the LCDs (odo, climate, trip) are black on white rather than orange on black, should be no need to fiddle with filters in this case...

Are the LEDs you sell for the CC and trip computer a straight swap for those tiny globes - with an integrated resistor - or did you need to fool around with soldering an inline resistor?

Here's the globes I'm referring to... this is from the headlight switch, do the CC and trip computer have the same tiny globes with the little blue filter boots over them?

i only have a series1 mate but from experience with mine, theyre a straight swap with no soldering at all. replace old globes and put leds in bulb holder where bulb was. as long as its not one that a sealed unit. some are but you can tell by looking at the side of the bulb holder once out and if no wires there replace it. same with dashes too. some are not ment to be replaced without soldering etc. that pic of my cluster and c. control is me putting my led of ebay into my car after i got rid of orange filter. auii and iii should not have a filter if its not orange.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

rowan194 wrote:

I've now received and fitted these. They're different to the other ones I've tried, which are basically a 3mm LED with an inline resistor moulded into some plastic glop. The Autobarn ones left behind a sticky residue so they were hard to get out of the holder... I had to destroy a couple of the LEDs to get them free. Anyway, these new ones use a printed circuit board and surface mount components.

They're quite bright, maybe a bit too bright, when compared to the odo backlight and other lamps within the dash. I wonder if I could put some sort of filter (or even something like a white sticker) over the LEDs to block some of the light.

Not getting too excited yet as previous attempts looked great then the LEDs started failing a few months later.

BTW, ordered another type of LED from ebay at the same time, no sign of them.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4