Fordmods Logo

Automatic headlights when unlocking 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Automatic headlights when unlocking
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:28 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA Futura

VIC, Australia

ive just put in sum drivin lights to me ef fairmont ghia..
and wanna have it so when i unlock the car the parkers turn on. same as interior lights.. and turn off if not started after 20secs..
BUT!!!!
i dont want it so when i flick the interiour lights on the parkers come on..
if you know wat i mean..
so does anyone know how to do it or is there another post that says how to..
help much appreciated..
cheers

Ba Futura. on gas. lowerd, 17 xr wheels tint, ipod n bluetooth. nothin to xciting. does the job and goes cheap.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

not a bad idea, but not something that would be super easy to do.
plus then when they come on, how do you turn them off again (cuz the light switch would be off, but lights actually on)

it would have to be done with the smartlock module somehow, possibly there is an output that says when the car is unlocked.

but yeh, somone with more experience will be needed, im more just thinking out loud here.

BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i've got an idea a little bit like this....but i dont wanna say anything about it yet :P

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XR8 UTE

VIC, Australia

great idea, ive been wanting to do this but i have no electrical knowledge. I hope it works out for you and if it does you definately should do a doco!

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
i've got an idea a little bit like this....but i dont wanna say anything about it yet :P

y not.. lol
you gonna check out wiring diagrams and then figure it out first and then say or just wanna c if someone else comes up with same idea before u give in.. lol

Ba Futura. on gas. lowerd, 17 xr wheels tint, ipod n bluetooth. nothin to xciting. does the job and goes cheap.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i nkow wat i wanna do...its just gettin all the stuff to work

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:37 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
i nkow wat i wanna do...its just gettin all the stuff to work

kewl cheers.. good luck u prob be able to figure it out better and easier than i would so yer..
cheers..
thought it be a interesting topic to bring up.

oh yer.. noticed "heritage green club" me too. nice to join in. colour looks awseome on the ef/el's 8-)

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

haha yea i know eh :P hmmm you also got a fairmont...
i think we might be selective with this lights on thingy....so that ther is a fleet of heritage green fairmonts with it going around :P

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:33 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
haha yea i know eh :P hmmm you also got a fairmont...
i think we might be selective with this lights on thingy....so that ther is a fleet of heritage green fairmonts with it going around :P

sounds good..
gotta luv EF Fairmont's "heritage green"

Post subject: Re: Automatic headlights when unlocking
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:57 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

slimjim wrote:
wanna have it so when i unlock the car the parkers turn on. same as interior lights.. and turn off if not started after 20secs..
BUT!!!! i dont want it so when i flick the interiour lights on the parkers come on.. if you know wat i mean..
Well here's my offering - refer to the diagram: Image
You'll need to locate the blue/black wire from the headlight switch, and insert the relay as shown, the other end of the relay coil can be connected to the power side of the key illum. light (green/yellow wire).The line to the park lamp relay (can't remember it's physical location) needs a diode (can be low power) inline, and is spliced into the white/black line of the park lamp relay. The diode is added to stop the interior lights coming on when the park lights are switched on, and it's connection may need to be reversed to achieve the desired result.

How it works: The park lamp relay is operated along with the operation of the interior lights - this means the park lamps will come on when the car is unlocked, or the doors are opened, and will go off when ign is turned on. When the dome light is switched on at the headlight switch, the relay is powered, disconnecting the line to the park lamp relay, and providing an earth circuit for the interior lights. When the park lamps are operated via the headlamp switch, the interior lights will not be affected.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XR8 UTE

VIC, Australia

Is there any possible way of wiring in up so that it doesnt light up when a door is opened and just when the car is unlocked?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

stixinc wrote:
Is there any possible way of wiring in up so that it doesnt light up when a door is opened and just when the car is unlocked?

In my circuit, you need to add a normally closed relay in the line that has the diode, the relay coil needs 12v one side, the other side needs to be spliced in one of the door courtesy lines to provide the earth when a door is opened. The parkers will then go out when a door is opened, leaving the interiors to operate normally.
Without fiddling with the BEM, this is probably the simplist (within reason) way to do this.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i found a discovery kit multi-timer module.. at DSE
has a relay built in..
i was talking to auto elec and he said that the unlock wire has power running through it when remote is pushed for 1.4secs, which is enough to turn a relay on.. now how i figured it and he agreed, if you tap off the unlock wire, run it into the multi-timer module as the trigger wire, and then run it onto the parkers it will work fine. just have to run a ground wire of the module and a constant power line to something. best thing about is it wont b drawing power all the time only when relay is switched on.. these kits can be programed for a cycle time of between 0.1 secs to 19.4 days, so would be perfect for this operation, and only costs $30.73 inc gst
just gotta find the unlock wire and connect upto parkers

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

slimjim wrote:
i found a discovery kit multi-timer module.. at DSE
has a relay built in..
i was talking to auto elec and he said that the unlock wire has power running through it when remote is pushed for 1.4secs, which is enough to turn a relay on.. now how i figured it and he agreed, if you tap off the unlock wire, run it into the multi-timer module as the trigger wire, and then run it onto the parkers it will work fine.

One prob with this is that it will also trigger if you lock the door whilst inside the car and then exit. The only way I can think of getting around that would be to check for both indicators flashing once as the doors unlock, but that complicates things. :)

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

if u lock the doors it wont trigger the lights to turn on. because the power to lock the doors goes through a differnt wire..
if u were to unlock the doors via the switch inside the car will do the same thing.. but wat i am goin to do is. wire it all up the way i said, but also have it so when the ignition gets turned on it over rides the timer.. and turns lights off.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next