Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: BA Aircon Stuck On WTF
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The IDS is Ford's Panasonic Tough Book Laptop computer which has all there software on it which interfaces and diagnoses the computer in the car, can't remember what it stands for now Integrated Diagnostic System maybe :?

The whole system in modern cars is rather flash... All talks via this "canbus" comms system... So everything is mapped from what I can gather, like computers have IP addresses the car's major components have there own addresses for the canbus system and there own information about what they are and why they're there... And I'm sure the old man said Ford called this it's "personality" or something along those lines...

Put simply, without the diagnostic computer you will not be able to program a new HIM into the car... My talk about personalities was because all BA/BF and some FG's had an "old" HIM in them, and only just recently they have changed manufacturers of the HIM's (A lot of trouble with the old ones) and setting them up is a different procedure...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Thanks Tim! I will talk to my clients at Gorells on Monday and get some inside assistance to make this repair alot cheaper!

Regards from Frasier220

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I now have a workshop manual for the 2003 BA (same year for my Fairlane) and Section 501-12 covers dash removal! Once I get some clues from my Workshop Manager I will have a go at removing it all myself and do the repairs. I will have already arranged for someone to come over and "re-program it". Will keep you posted on how this all goes. Gotta be cheaper than $1700 for half a bloody heater!

Regards from Frasier220

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just make sure its still definitely the HIM module... Get Ford to test it first... A HIM is around the $700 dollar mark so don't just put one in for the sake of it... If you get the new revised version you wont need to get its personality read before removing...

Dash on a BA is easiest with front seats out... Drivers needs to come out to get to the bolts that hold the handbrake handle on... Other than that you just need two people and a good memory where all the bolts come from...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks Tim.

Regards from Frasier220

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well, the heater is now a very long second on the list! My son came back this arvo with the bonnet wrapped around the windscreen and roof! The bloody bonnet catch came adrift at 100kph just up from our driveway (and I believe him because he is very responsible). I have no idea why it would do such a thing, but insurance will fix it. Funny, I was just thinking today, as I was driving home from the shops, that the car is nearly 7 years old and not one dent or scratch, not even a carpark dent in all that time! Well that's what I get for thinking! :!:

Regards from Frasier220

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo man

QLD, Australia

:( My cabin fans are doing the exact same thing.

Ford on the GC claim it will be around 600 dollars to replace (That includes labour) around $40 to diagnose

I'll be checking all the wiring first this afternoon.

Bad luck on the bonnet/roof damage :(

One More Such Victory Until We Are Undone

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2