Fordmods Logo

BA - CarPC 

Page 10 of 12 [ 170 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: BA - CarPC
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

And some more....

Attachment:
File comment: How it looks re-assembled before UB cable.
IMG_5043_CROP_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5043_CROP_WEB2.jpg [ 65.01 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I had to file away a small section of plastic so that the USB cable would fit comfortably.
IMG_5045_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5045_WEB2.jpg [ 71.23 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The end result (Don't focus on the blemish!)
IMG_5039_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5039_WEB2.jpg [ 56.93 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5040_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5040_WEB2.jpg [ 53.74 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: F6 Tornado

VIC, Australia

Hey Luke,
Not bad, but those overlays needs to be bonded to the LCD, otherwise they create quite bad glare, that's a common problem with adding them "manually"

That's why my NEC 8.4" transflective will stay without an overlay, I am using an industrial stainless steel trackball located where my cupholders used to be.

Maybe you could find out if someone can bond the overlay to the lcd? I know on Mp3Car a few guys did this - check in the lcd forum there.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

M2-ATX has finally arrived, and for some reason I was shipped a HV version. But it didn't come with a P4-12V to P4-12V cable which I didn't realise. They're not that expensive, but they're not common. Thankfully I have some old blown PSU's in the shed, so I might just make one up.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_5165_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5165_WEB2.jpg [ 71.87 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I expect progress pics tonight. :)

I've never had anything take that long to post from the states. Had something take forever from Europe. They sent it seamail, I guess I got a much better price than they were hoping for.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was away on holidays last week, so subtract a week from that.

But yeah, if I'd bought direct it would have been much quicker. I bought through the Australian distributor at www.mini-box.com.au.

There'll be no progress for the next week or so I'm afraid. I have after-hours work schedule for evenings this week and for most of the coming weekend..... I'll be making it up with so Lieu days after that.

Lieu, I always liked that word. Just like Bangkok of C**k hey? "I'd like to book some days on the Toilet Please....". It's even in our schedule as 'Time Off In Lieu' or TOIL. I like giving them Time Off In Lieu Estimated Time just to be sure I get those days off.....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, finally, a couple of days to work on a few minor things - although it was just me and the kids this weekend, no missus to share the kid-watching duties, so time was still limited.

No physical progress to report, but I did take the time to flesh out how to wire this whole shebang together. Some notes to go with how this will happen.

(1) There are 3 spots in the PDB in the engine bay for installing fuses for whatever you want. My Battery and GND supplies will be provided direct from here, with a 15A fuse. I thought at first that I'd use the supply from the Moblie Phone connector, but then I figure with a Bluetooth kit and Video Converter and 2 x Cameras currently already on it, that an extra 15A might hurt it a bit. I'll still use the Accessory trigger from the Mobile Phone connector, but it's just that, a trigger. The DC-DC PSU is a 160W unit.

(2) There's a ELM327 USB clone going in as well. But interestingly, the ELM takes USB power only for the USB/Serial FTDI chip. The ELM itself takes power from the OBD2 port. And since I don't want that as a current drain when switched off, I need to add a relay in there so it only gets power when the PSU is supplying power.

(3) My kids have just gone bonkers over the Knight Rider 2008 TV series (not shown in Australia yet). So I've found a little KITT Simulator for the old show that we might integrate - although the developer guy says he's doing a 2009 version soon as well. That'll make the kids happy.

(4) Attached is a diagram of my current Loom design. The big-a*** object on the right is the CarPC in the Sat-Nav location in the boot. All my USB repeater, Mic/AUX audio and VGA solutions will be off-the-shelf. I have to make the following custom looms:
(a) Inside the PC for (i) Power, (ii) PSU Control pins and (iii) M/B HDD and Power LEDS.
(b) DB15 to DB15 cable - I'll use the larger 2-row version rather than the 3-row VGA style.
(c) In-Console LED and Switch cluster.
(d) In-Console 5V USB Hub/Slot DVD Power, and 12V ELM relay trigger
(e) OBD2 port DLC intercept. Luckily I have a genuine Ford OBD2 port, so I can back out the one in my current loom, plug it into my splitter cable, and then insert my newly wired OBD2 port back into the fuse box - you won't be able tell a splitter is there if you didn't look behind it.

I'll go out for supplies this week and we'll see what progress we can make over Easter.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
Visio-Vehicle Loom.pdf [36.75 KiB]
Downloaded 490 times

Last edited by Lukeyson on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
(2) There's a ELM327 USB clone going in as well. But interestingly, the ELM takes USB power only for the USB/Serial FTDI chip. The ELM itself takes power from the OBD2 port. And since I don't want that as a current drain when switched off, I need to add a relay in there so it only gets power when the PSU is supplying power.

The OBD2 port is only powered, when the ignition is in the on/run or start positions.

key off = OBD2 off.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm. It's good to challenge my semi-researched-assumptions and make sure I don't make any mistakes.

When I looked at into it, I thought that Pin1 on the OBD2 DLC port, line 55C, was provided by the 'Courtesy' 15A fuse, which was sourced directly from the BATT1 fuse. This 'Courtesy' supply line otherwise also goes into the BEM and provides the source for the Battery Saver/Courtesy Lights, so it doesn't even appear to be governed by the Batt-Saver timeout.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I think we need to double check that. I think I may have been incorrect.

I flashed mine last night, and the flash box (which only connects by the OBD2 port), had power in the accessories position. It only works (starts the erase/flash) when the key is moved to On however.

D'oh.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A FYI Moment.

This image shows the PDB and the 3 x empty fuse locations that are available for installing extra items. The trick will be to find the right sized spade connectors that will clip into the back of the socket. I'm pretty sure DSE can help me with that.

(Edit: I've updated the loom diagram in the attachment above too. Any further changes I'll just update them in that post.)

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_5244_WEB2_Unused_Pins.JPG
IMG_5244_WEB2_Unused_Pins.JPG [ 114.44 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:58 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Double checked tonight, power in the OBD2 port, comes from the courtesy lamp fuse - prior to the BEM, so it isn't switched/faded etc. It's supplied from the 140A main battery fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

So it is ALWAYS ON.

Cleared that up.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And so Lukeyson survives the challenge!

Wiring Loom updated yet again.....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A little progress today.

I was hoping to get to a position where I could power the system up and have my first run on the touch screen, but it just so happens that the Motherboard doesn't power up without the extra P4 power connector attached. So close. The cable required needs to have the same P4 on each end. I've got an old PSU that gives me one end, and a mate at work has one at home, but I didn't get it in time for easter.

So, on to getting the thing into the car. I have the mounting plate attached now, and it fits well. Pics attached of my final fitting test before I add mounting screws and then have to disassemble it again for painting.

Of interest to me is that I have room in the back of the chassis for a largish fan - say the size of one ripped out of the same dead PSU from before. The spare PSU chassis also gives me an idea on how to mount the thing.

But for now, onto the pics.....

Attachment:
File comment: Check out my additional USB and power ports on the back. The extra hole is for the 15-pin lines to the front panel. The plate on the top is for mounting and is the one shown earlier in the thread.
IMG_5296_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5296_WEB2.jpg [ 85.3 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Rear shot, showing how the M2-ATX PSU and 2.5" HDD are mounted slung from the top of the case.
IMG_5277_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5277_WEB2.jpg [ 88.77 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Test-fitting the case into the car in the Sat-Nav location. The right-side and under-parcel-shelf panels have been removed to make it easier.
IMG_5272_WEB2.jpg
IMG_5272_WEB2.jpg [ 85.71 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Luke

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Does the carpets fit back on? Looks like they should.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There used to be, on the old Fordmods, a way to link to an individual post. But the best I can offer is this: interior-modifications-f14/ba-carpc-t21976-100.html

The answer is - not quite. The box is a fair bit bigger than a single-din Sat-Nav unit, so it deforms the under-parcel-shelf moudling a bit to get it in. But it will be close enough.

The unit has been disassembled again for painting, and now I know what bits I'm missing to get it to work the way I want, expect some meaningful progress within the next week....

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 12  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next