Fordmods Logo

BA - Cigarette Lighter / Trinket Tray Illumination 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
The Blue T5 leds arrived. They are installed into my BA and in the missus SX Ghia. I shall try and take a long-exposure shot on the digital camera to show you what it is like.

Lukeyson

I jsut found Autobarn stocked them yesterday, so green ones will be in the Barge by the end of today :D

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Here you go, i drilled a hole in the back of the tissue holder, the LED shines straight to the Shifter and makes it Glow :D when holding the shifter you look like the hulk haha

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I see your Green Trinket Tray light with a Blue Trinket Tray light, and raise you a Blue Footwell Light as well...

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_1175_Brightened_Web.jpg
IMG_1175_Brightened_Web.jpg [ 20.75 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

If you do not post a Tute on how to do that, i WILL hunt you down!

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hehe.

No need, there's lots of stuff written about it already out there.

However, I noted in your picture that you have standard audio - which puts you at a disadvantage already. The footwell lights come as part of the Premium Audio upgrade - well the Bulb Bolders and wiring do. For some reason the bulbs aren't installed at the factory....

However, the holes for the T10 bulb holders are there (Bottom of the Fuse Box and also the bottom left of the Glove Box) so you could get some T10 Holders from a wreckers and find a way to splice them in to the 'Courtesy' signal from the BEM somehow. Footwell Lights come on whenever the interior lights are automatically on - such as when I press the button on the console.

On the other hand, the rear footwell lights are only a part of the Fairmont Ghia harness. When I do that it will be a manual splice - probably into one of my front footwell lamps. There are some tech docs about rear footwell lamps on Fordmods too.

And yes, the rear footwell lights will be Blue ....

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:44 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

After reading this thread, I decided to buy some T5 blue LEDs to compliment my blue ICC fascia at night.

Autobarn sells T5's @ $18 for two! What a rip-off. Supercheap Auto don't even stock them. I found some dude on Ebay who was selling them from Sydney with a Buy-It-Now of $2.00 (for a pair) with $2.50 for postage, bringing the total to $4.50. And that's for a pair -- much cheaper than buying at your conventional auto store.

Will have a crack at putting the globe in this weekend to illuminate my tissuebox tray. If all goes well, I'll upload photos to show you guys.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:16 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I installed a blue T5 into my ashtray area. Gotta say, the blue looks awesome, complements my dash and blue gauges nicely.

Comments / suggestions welcome.

Attachments:
IMG_3435.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG [ 273.89 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

Good Stuff VERTG0.
All you need now is blue Illumination to light up your gear selector display and some footwell lights.
You're on the right track. A little more work and you you're there.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

After all this, I ended up changing things around a bit.

Since the trinket-tray was driven by the 'Illumination' level set on the dash, it annoyed me that the Trinket Tray was always lit up.

So i changed it, - the Trinket Tray is now driven by Courtesy (same as Footwell). I had a line running under the console to the rear footwell anyway, so I used that from uinder-the-dash to the trinket tray.

The lines for the rear footwell light itself now come as part of the BF Fairlane Loom install I did recently, so now the rear footwells are powered by their native lines.

As for the wire that was left behind from about the trinket-tray area to the rear of the console - I now have that actually hooked to the 'cigarette lighter' illumination line, and plan to add a lift-switch to the console lid, to illuminate the inside of my console, at night only, when the lid is lifted. Time for a separate thread...

I have yet to look for and get a light or holder that I think will work in there. Maybe it's a chance to use up the rest of my SMD LED strip....

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Funny you say that, Lukeyson. I got a bit annoyed with it always being illuminated also. I was thinking about getting it linked into the courtesy circuit but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have run some new wiring down the side of the console from the courtesy circuit for the rear console light, I could probably tap into that.

My car is looking more and more like a blue disco with every passing weekend ... :)

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yep, that was the one thing that would annoy me, the fact that it was always on, i always planned on adding neons, but never got around to it, and was going to hook them and the Trinket tray up to a seperate switch

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I also drilled a hole in the back of the tissue-box holder, near the Audio Jack, keyed it with a stanley knife, and while it's a tight fit, I can get the T5 held into position like a bought one.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: T5 holder into the back of the tissue box holder.
IMG_3784_WEB.jpg
IMG_3784_WEB.jpg [ 23.02 KiB | Viewed 1051 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2