Fordmods Logo

BA door actuator stopped working? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA door actuator stopped working?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

the other day i heard a wierd sound coming from the door actuator when i locked an unlocked, yet it was still working. Then the next day i pressed unlock and 3 doors unlocked and this one with the sound just stayed shut and now makes no sound at all... is this an easy fix? best off to get a brand new actuator or 2nd handy? what kind of work is involved in it? and price?

no real rush to fix since its only a rear door though, but would be good to hear what yas rekon, cheers

luke.

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Post subject: Re: BA door actuator stopped working?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT '02

NT, Australia

ahh... we had that same problem on my dad's BA .. unfortunately we didnt fix it ourselves, but just to get you a rough idea, we had it fixed for $400 at an electronics business.. which seems a bit rip off to me... but i dont know. good luck getting it fixed..

Holden = Hope Our Luck Doesn't End Now

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

cheers mate, damn yer 400 does seem a bit steep, i might see if i can do it myself, i just dont know how many parts i need to replace... since ive never dealt with actuators much. Maybe i can get a bf one or fg? if they fit and maybe they are better quality?

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

do some searching is my best suggestion, and 400, sounds like a con to me.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Mate,

Common problem with them aye, you'll probably find its the worm gear inside the actuator thats broken. Youll have to replace the entire door latch mechanism, not the door handle but the part inside the door that latched onto the u bolt on the chassis. Last time i did it the part was $130 trade from coventrys and it takes about an hour if youve never done it before and your taking your sweet a** time. Ive done 5 of them in the AU.

The AU's used to be the worst for it, then ford upgraded them in the BA's i think half way through production and made them backwards compatible with the AU.

Do youself a favour and get a gregorys manual for it from repco, not as good as the workshop manual but will tell you how to take everything apart roughly.

Cheers,

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

replaced it today with a bf one, $178 including the bf loom adapter to fit a ba, and yer about half an hour to an hour to put in since i hadnt done one before, was pretty easy. and the bf ones are even better again so should solve that issue :)

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

Devastating that you paid $178 for one! Although granted the BF locks are supposedly stronger.

My BA had both 2 door locks gone when I bought it. 2 of these and they've been working fantastic ever since (touch wood). Total cost = <$60

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-BA-BF-Territory-Door-Lock-Actuator-Repair-Gear-/200532731765?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb0aea775#ht_3545wt_1139

You do have to be careful though -the first one I bought snapped after 1 go. I e-mailed the seller and he sent a free one out which did the same thing. I then bought from a different seller and it was straight away more robust just by looking at it. Put that one in and its been great, bought another for my other broken lock and as I said above - no troubles so far.

These little plastic cogs are inside the lock and break after a while because they're rubbish plastic from Ford. You only need to pull out the lock, open up the lock mech (4 little screws) and swap the cog and do it all back up.

For future reference at least. You don't need a completely new lock unless some other part apart from the cog or motor is broken.

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah I second this ^^^

We buy them 4 at a time for $80 free post... Fixed heaps... When your paying $178 for the actuator and adaptor loom (its like $30 in itself isn't it?) This is much better and gets good business esp when their option is almost $200 easy way to make some dollars for labour too...

I wouldn't spend that money again... Buying 4 I'd reckon you'd be likely to use them in the cars life time... As mentioned they break all the time... The old noisey e series ones seem to be bullet proof compared to the AU onwards one...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Sweet, i didnt know you could buy the gear!!! That would have saved me a dam fortune back in the day. Oh well.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Sweet thats great for future reference, i just had a broken door and live in a bad neighbourhood so didnt wana leave it for too long without it working, but thats great, i did hear that all you have to do is replace it with a steel gear, and id definately do that next time. but looking on your ebay one you bought, its still a plastic one.. is it much more robust compared to the ford one?

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have not seen a steel replacement... Only the nylon ones...

The worm half of this runs in a nylon bush which runs up and down its length... having a steel gear would wear the nylon out fast... Only way around it would be modiying them some how and putting a steel pin down the centre of the nylon... As to yet haven't been done and even if they do only last as long the Ford gears, At $20 a replacement, cheaper than $180 an actuator...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yer im definately gettin that next time

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1999 au series 1

NSW, Australia

talking about actuators!
does anyone know if an el actuator will fit an au door !!
a mate of mine is stripping his el and is willing to give me the actuator to fix my car!!
please help!!!!!
pete. :shock:

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

peetys here wrote:
talking about actuators!
does anyone know if an el actuator will fit an au door !!
a mate of mine is stripping his el and is willing to give me the actuator to fix my car!!
please help!!!!!
pete. :shock:

nope, au is completely different to el... but a ba one should fit..

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1999 au series 1

NSW, Australia

bargain!
thanks troyman..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next