Fordmods Logo

BA Fairlane and accessing CC for diagnostics 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Fairlane and accessing CC for diagnostics
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I have been reading here to find out how to fix the climate control that won't heat on passenger side. I understand its the HIM Module, part # BG19H616A, but I would like to explore other possibilities first. A few questions for you:
1. How do I get to the CC and start the diagnostics mode?
2. Does the Workshop manual explain how to take the dash out (and how long will it take first go)?
3. Do I need Ford Special tools?
4. Is it easier to fork out the estimated $1500 to $1700 just to get the heat working on the passenger side?

Surely if the fault started with a few clunking noises, maybe its a simple mechanical "jamb" that can be reached and fixed without full dash removal (or am I still living in the 70's)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS, can I pay any one of you local rev heads to come to Geelong and help me fix it? My wife and my left ear would be forever greatful!

Regards from Frasier220

Post subject: Re: BA Fairlane and accessing CC for diagnostics
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

The cheap ford plastic mixer shaft would most likely have snapped off on the passenger side. Around $40 from ford for a new, revised part that supposedly shouldnt break. Unfortunately, there's no other way than a dash out job. 1500 is way too much though.

You don't need any special tools, but there are quite a number of bolts/screws you have to locate (many are hard to reach). The shortest way:
- Remove centre console (more than one way to do this, some method require handbrake lever to be removed and driver seat removed)
- Unbolt/Drop steering column to floor
- Remove entire dash assembly from vehicle (its quite a heavy bugger, watch your back)
- unscrew HIM from LHS of heater box
- undo around 16 or 20 screws on heater box to remove front cover
- remove broken shaft from mixer flap (pull very gently/slowely so flap doesnt break)
- realign mixer shaft/flap before bolting HIM back on the LHS
- reinstall everything.

First attempt took me 2.5 hours, but this was only after going to wreckers and studying many BA/BF wrecks.

Have done this twice on 2 cars. PM me if you are interested to get it fixed, will need your car for a day or two. Loan car may be available if required.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

most likely the mixer shaft, very common problem, died on my aunts BA, $40 part but the labor to remove the dash is where they get you.

its funny that so many people experience these breaking, dads on his 3rd dual zone car and not had a problem.. the only thing i can think of is that setting different temps each side is what causes it as not once with his BA or BF did we set different temps for each side of the car.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:12 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I was under the impression that they break when you turn the temperature up and down too quickly. So i turn mine up and down one click at a time. So far mine is ok.
Could be wrong but...

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Thanks Guys! malazn_mafia I have sent a PM accordingly.

Regards from Frasier220

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]