Fordmods Logo

BA Falcon rear power windows 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Falcon rear power windows
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey all first time posting here so soon ill get around to making a few posts of my car and its modifications so far :P
I've seen this post a few times before but it never seems to be quite complete and I'm bit of a noob at this haha!
I want to put rear power windows in my 05 ba xt. I already have door trims and switches and i'm aware that i will need to get the regulators. I'm just wondering if anyone can guide me on how to do this install and what parts of the loom I will need to do this and a rough idea of the work involved. Thanks again for taking a look guys you have an awesome group of people here from what I've read so far :)

Post subject: Re: BA Falcon rear power windows
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF MKII SR

NSW, Australia

Bump I need help too :/

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

it all depends how factory you want it to be. i changed to rear power windows in my 05 ba xt, will add some more details on how i did it in the morning when im home from work. mine was done using all factory parts, and took me about a day and a bit to do.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF MKII SR

NSW, Australia

Would you be able to put that info up phatba? It's just been so hard to get solid help with this one..

Thanks!

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sorry for the delay, but here goes.

to do this factory style you will need:

left and right rear electric window door cards
left and right rear window regulators
drivers door 4 way power window master switch (there are 2 different kinds of these. check the number of pins in the switch plug hole. the ones that have an extra pin are illuminated, and will light up if your wiring supports it. nothing major, but if you have this then maybe also consider buying matching illuminated switches for the rest of the car.
drivers door loom from a car with 4 way power windows (plug where window switch goes on in a car with front only windows has pins only in the front half of the plug. a car with 4 power windows has lots of pins in the plug.)
interior body loom from a car with 4 way power windows (im led to believe this is series specific, but im not 100%. for instance a ba will need a ba loom. something to do with a few plugs are different. im guessing you could use a fairlane loom if its available, but do remember it will have extra length due to the size of a fairlane. in mine i used a fairmont loom. takes a bit of effort to get these in and out so find a stripped car to save effort or try private wrecks. i tried a few wreckers and they wanted bulk $ due to the work involved. if you come across a higher spec wrecked car than yours, maybe even buy the whole car and upgrade a whole heap of goodies while your at it. i happened across a heap of stuff from a fairmont ghia when i did mine, so upgraded the interior to the ghia at the same time, and used all the door looms and switches.
rear left and right window switches

besides all the parts and basic tools like sockets and screwdrivers, you will also need:

torx bits in various sizes
power drill
grinder
wire coathanger

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

once all the parts are collated, you have a nice warm day to work in your driveway, and you have a slab of beer, your ready to go.

first of strip the interior. take out the front and rear seats, drivers door trim, parcel shelf carpet, c pillar covers, left and right rear door trims, centre console. and the side plastics, including scuff plates. (the little kick pieces around the drivers footwell from memory i think you need to take out all the side plastics to get to that one)
lay out your new body loom and you should be able to get a basic idea of what plug goes where. there should be a left and right side loom which join in the middle of the car about where the gear shift is. from memory there is also a plug that goes into the ecu, on the floor under the dash in front of the gear shift. the left side will also have a plug for the radio antenna at the back. start at one end of the car and unplug the old body loom. once youve done a few plugs, start plugging in the new body loom before you confuse yourself. a few of the plugs are a PITA to feed back in. undo your coathanger, and feed through the path you want the plug to go. using pliers wrap the end of the coathanger around the body loom behind the plug. pull the coat hanger back through the hole gently, bringing the plug with it. undo the coathanger and repeat as necessary. the front door plug will need this, and i think also the front a pillar. i worked from front to back, and used all the clip tabs and factory mounts to hold it in position. if you think logically about what plugs should be where and work on one plug at a time it isnt that hard to do. replacing the looms once the car is stripped is roughly and hour or so per side, most of the time is in dismantling the car. while everything is out, this is a great time to also upgrade seats, console lid, door trims, and do any lighting mods such as footwell neons and door courtesy lights.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

once the body loom is in, you will notice on the rear doors two handle looking things pop riveted to the door. these went into the arm rest on your old door trim. test fit your new door trims, mine wouldnt work with these pieces in place, but i was using fairmont ghia door trims. if they get in the way, use the drill or grinder to remove the rivets and take the brackets off. re test fit your door trims and they should now fit fine. remove the rear door looms and regulators and replace with new ones. i cheated here a little and got a mechanic to change my regulators for $50. with the body loom now done, and the regulators and door looms now in, your ready to test it all out. put your new switches on, and try them out. (make sure you have the 4 way drivers switch on. what happens is the power goes up through the master switch and then across to which ever door your operating. it then goes up to that switch, and then into the regulator. so if you want to use the rear drivers side window, you need both windows to have their switches plugged in to complete the circuit. if you dont have the master switch plugged in then nothing works. its done this way so you can use the child lock on the master switch, basically that isolates the current continuing to the rear windows. if you have the master switch connected and still get nothing on the back windows, then check the child lockout button. if still nothing then recheck your work.) if everything is all good, then put your door trims on. put your window switches in, put your car back together, and enjoy a cold beer while playing with your new power windows. if your a bit of an amateur on the spanners, allow a whole weekend for this. i had mine done in just over a day, complete with changing seats, door trims, and installing courtesy lights.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba Falcon

VIC, Australia

JEEEEEZUS! thats a whole lot more work then i expected it to be D:
luckily enough i already have the interior from a bf turbo nice half leather half velour :D
I thank you for the in depth reply but by the sounds its not a job im too keen on doing myself. If i was keeping the car much longer i'd definitely do this. But i recently came in to some money and im looking at upgrading to a fg turbo :)
I really appreciate the time you took to write that out and i hope it can help others here
thanks again if i decide to keep my car i will take the time to do this :D

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No worries mate, its actually not that hard or long, all depends on how handy you are with hand tools

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

Hi PhatBa I'm doing this on an AU2 fairG > AU3 forte, Q.1 Can i just use the body loom wires that go to windows and locks, ie splicing body loom then replacing it at the BEM, to tap into old loom ? to me it sounds fair, as the fairG loom has a lot more "extras, and then you have to swap ECU BEM etc, aswell as entire looms ? thanks for the write up, stripped my whole AU2 fairG not much fun, but beats giving the wreckers, my IRS LSD, etc. So putting it all on a AU3 forte after extensive panel damage.cheers.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sorry mate im confused as to what you want to do?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

Hey Phat, I got an au3 putting in au2 rear windows, going to just replace ecu bem and body loom, with all windows, bit of a long way round, but more of a plug n play, approach, rather than piggy back au2 loom on to au3 loom for windows, just this damn heat in SA cant work on s**t, but my beer ,drinking :D cheers, for the reply :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]