Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

AWC do it.. :D

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Luke's latest discovery - a company is now importing (as of Jan 2006) the some Scantool kit into Australia, which is basically an ODBII to Serial converter that works with a bunch of apps, including a bunch of open source and free apps. Checkout www.scantool.net

The Elmscan 5 unit is a multi protocol unit so can do both ISO 9141 and ISO 15765-4 (CAN).

There was also some great info up on Wikipedia that I found useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II

Now, I wonder if there is anyway to trigger 'Parameter Reset' (Page 303-14-64) so the the BEM/HIM/PCM can all train up to one another....

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

ok the boys in service and pre-delivery have been asked whether this can b done, and they say it took them three days to find out it would cost the same amount in man hours and parts, as it would to buy a car with the dual zone cc, my recommendation is DONT BOTHER!

my car caught a cold, now it sneezes!

Some freak FLASHED it too, now it's angry!

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

yeh thats if your paying $65 an hour for service labour.. if your buying yourself a carton u save hundreds...ill find my notes on PDS/WDS And post them here

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mate, in this instance, it's not so much about the destination, it's more about the journey. But thanks for the words of encouragement.

I'm pretty keen to do a Bill of Materials now and find out part numbers and pricing from Ford themselves, just to see how much damage this thing will really do.

In regards to the 'Parameter Reset' step above, I'm a bit worried about the 'Enter Security Access' menu option on the WDS that takes 10 minutes to access. I mean, what's that 10 minutes all about anyway? If there's some encryption and/or challenged hash authentication mechanism, there's no chance of using a non-ford tool at all.

In the meantime, I'll continue on oblivious for the moment as to how hard this project might really be.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

the 10 minutes is purely a security time thing, to ensure that u really do ahve access to the car. its so i cant take the WDS home from work with a key and a lock assembly, smash the steering lock, plug in the new lock assembly and program it in 30 seconds flat..oh also BF Falcons need a code typed into the WDS that ford in melbourne give to dealers to program keys

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I am yet to copy the WDS CDs or MDS DVD (PDS) to check them out.

The service manager informed me that there will be no more WDS update discs, whether this is only Mazda I do not know at this time, but as many Mazda models are also Ford models I am guessing the Mazda PDS discs will also cover the full Ford range like the WDS does.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I've seen WDS update discs up on eBay.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am getting a little hardcore here, but looking at scantool.net they give you reference circuit diagrams and pointers on how to build your own obd-ii to rs232 converters for use with many of the freely available PC Software scantools around - assuming you are not comfortable just driving it using Hyperterminal and AT Command sets.

The chip in questions is an elm327 (http://www.elmelectronics.com/connect.html), which can drive most ODB-II type interfaces directly, but needs an MCP2551 (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en010405) to interface with the CAN bus.

Mate, this is getting cool! I'm going to go and experiment with this thing to see what I can do. The elm327 is about $30 Canadian (looking for it in Australia), and the MCP2551 is about $2 US, with various other components needed to get it to work. I'll try the reference circuit from the Data Sheet first.

As an aside, I forwarded some of this detail to Silicon Chip magazine, as they often do automotive electronics projects, and have even published a book recently on do-it-yourself automotive electronics projects (boost controllers, light dimmer controllers, capacitor ignition etc) - their last OBD-II project was 'how to short two pins together to enable the display of DTC codes on the dash' in 2003. I think they can do better.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just found a link with someone that's already tried this on a 2004 Falcon successfully, and also had some success on recent model Commodores.

It's a Commodre site, so shield your eyes as you go in....

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/arc ... 665-1.html

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Damage wrote:
Lukeyson wrote:
Available everywhere?

Like from a discrete online source somewhere perhaps......?

Lukeyson

Hmm as the Ford/Mazda WDS use a special non PC standard hardware it would probably be senseless to get that software (? But I could get if you really wanted it 8-) )

When the MDS is up and running I will check out the software to see if it can do Ford Australia programing, if so I will copy the software and you might be able to get hold of one of those diagnostic connectors, I did see them available on the web somewhere.

Tomorrow I will have to check out the Landrover Testbook and the MDS to see what they can do, as they use the same VCM (I think that is the name) diagnostic connector.

"xpression" might remember what the diagnostic connector is called, the same one is required for Ford's PDS (PDA)

I have finally found reference to the new tools that are coming out to replace the aging WDS.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ ... nuIndex1=8

Of interest is this 'VCM' hardware device that is discussed. I'd be curious to find out what the Primary chip is in this device. I can't imagine it would be an ELM327, but there's always a possibility. The main issue is the command set used on the RS232 side, which will be chip specific, and will most likely determine compatibility with the Ford software.

How's it going with the unpacking so far damage?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm, the service boys at Klosters at Cardiff let me have a look at the new PDS tool they have. I didn't think to have a look at the VCM to see what I could make of it.

But from what I've read at the Motorcraft site, this looks very interesting/promising.

Damage, I'm chomping at the bit now to see what that software looks like.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

I am following this closely, its a an inetresting read!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, I'm just pricing out the best ELM327 unit to get.

The Australian Distributor of the ELMscan5 is motorscan technologies at http://www.motorscan.com.au/ and is $255 AUD plus $12.50 postage and handling.

But there's a cheaper unit at $99.95USD plus $12.95USD international postage and handling, which at today's exchange rate (www.exchangerate.com) of about 74c in the USD works out to be about $153AUD.

Looking deeper, however, I'm now not sure which mode is used to do the retraining of the BEM/PCM/HIM/IR/KEYLOCK - it looks like it may be a custom mode above Mode 9, which means there may actually be now way to use a standard OBD2 scantool.

On a bit of a tangent, is there any chance that anyone here has a copy of SAE J1979 ?

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have an ELM327 OBD2 to Serial Converter. I have only tested it once and I can't remember what software package i used. All i could do at this stage is read the DTC codes to see if anything was wrong.

I'm going on a break for 2 weeks soon, so I will be testing some packages out on it shortly.

Also, my car has gone in this week to get the engine replaced under warranty. I hope to get pricing on the MCC/ACC stuff when I pick it up. I had let this all sit stagnant whilst doing the ICC Reverse Camera integration project.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 17  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next