Fordmods Logo

BA - MCC to ACC Conversion 

Page 4 of 17 [ 246 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

OK, first thing, how do I get my hands on these training documents you mention? I'm working from the Workshop Manual only at this stage. I think I saw some training manuals pop through eBay recently, but couldn't bid on them at the time.

My big thing at the moment is finding out the actual hex values for the PIDs (Mode and Number). WIth those I can pull values out of any of the CAN Modules using my ELM327 scanntool using a Hyperterm session.

Also, yes, I'm aware of all the things you mention, but am uneducated on price for the seat stuff.

Regarding the MCC/ACC conversion, a new ACC ICC from Ford is just on $4k on it's own. The rest of the bits made the conversion something like $6k with new parts. That FTG do it from 2nd hand parts for $1750 makes it now affordable, especially if I can sell a Premium ICC with Colour TFT and Six Stacker to recoup some of the cost (and by my reckoning I should get about half of the cost back).

Thank goodness for FTG eh? I've sent emails to a few other 'online' wreckers with a request for pricing on all those parts, and not one has responded. Suffice to say that FTG will almost certainly get my business when I convert mid year. (Yes, I used the word 'when'...)

Re: the seat, the bits that I've requested pricing on are:

(1) 8-Way Seat Base with Memory from Fairmont Ghia including Memory Module and Motors (6-Way memory seats don't have Mirror memory or Dip)
(2) RHS Main Loom from Fairmont Ghia (Which should give me the Rear Footwell Loom as well.)

Now, since it's not immediately clear how the Mirrors provide feedback for their position, I've also requested pricing on the following:

(1) RHS Drivers Door Loom from Fairmont Ghia
(2) RHS Mirror from Fairmont Ghia
(3) Mirror Controller from Fairmont Ghia

I've had a good look at the Dash Loom and how it runs - changing it over is not as hard as I first thought.

I've also had a good look at the RHS Main Loom and it too is concealed by removeable plastic and doesn't look too hard to access - except perhaps for the spur that cuts across behind the drivers seat to the Console for Auto Trans and to the LHS B Pillar for the crash sensor and interface to the LHS Main Loom.

Mind you, my original run at MCC/ACC conversion stalled due to pricing. Any attempt to do a Powered Memory Seat upgrade my fall foul to the same fate.

If I get any numbers back, I'll start a separate thread on any Memory Seat work I do. I have a tendency to drift as I learn more and more.

And I did notice the pedal box issue as well, and am prepared to cop a DTC error if that's my worst penalty....

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Yeah - The dash loom is a pain in teh a** as you have to tear the whole dash apart!

You already have auto headlamps yeah?

Next time im at FTG ill do some research with darren and find out what parts are different for mirror/memory seats.

Nicko

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No, I only have the BEM/L. How I wish now that I'd optioned that in - I had nearly every other option under the sun besides that one. Now I know why it cost so much.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yep - Thats why i specifically waited to get a luxury pack xr!

As you will need to buy a new combo switch too!

Nicko

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Multifunction Switch is included in the FTG $1750 upgrade kit i noticed, if I didn't mention that before.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Ouch... I've been wanting to do basically the same conversion for a while, didn't realize the cost would be well into the thousands with all the little bits and peices you need..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So, my mate's mate has reported back that the Fairmont Ghia mirrors have different part numbers to other Falcons. So odds on they have some extra smarts in them.

FTG reported back a ballpark figure of around $1500 for bits including mirrors, looms (Main and Door Loom that is) seat base and Mirror switch. They don't have any at the moment though.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah - If anyone was going to have it it would be darren!
i cant believe how many FPV's he has wrecked but hasnt wrecked a GHIA yet!!
Ill have to stir him up about that!

Nicko

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
So, my mate's mate has reported back that the Fairmont Ghia mirrors have different part numbers to other Falcons. So odds on they have some extra smarts in them.

FTG reported back a ballpark figure of around $1500 for bits including mirrors, looms (Main and Door Loom that is) seat base and Mirror switch. They don't have any at the moment though.

Lukeyson

I'm quite sure the passenger side mirror contains the ambient air temp sensor..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You're right, it does.

However with regard to the Mirror Memory and Dip, it's not clear how the Memory Module under the drivers seat knows where the mirrors currently point, to know which direction the motors have to be driven to get to the 'saved' mirror location.

I am theorising that the Fairmont Ghia has some addtional smarts to provide this capability, but it's not clear yet.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah id think it would too lukey!

Nicko

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Some updates.

MCC to ACC is going ahead. Final quoting is completed, my final lease period is up, and the cost of the mods is going into the cost of rolling over to the next period.

Also happening is a front brake upgrade (the BA fronts are god Aweful and have been scaring me since new with horrendous fade), XForce Mild steel cat-back exchaust and a CAPA tuner.

I've discovered I have a Black BEM (2003 BA XR8, Premium Sound, No Auto Lights). My wife has a Green BEM (2004 SX terriory Ghia, Auto Climate Control, etc etc). Someone PM'd me a messages saying they had a standard ICC with auto-lights, and they had a Blue BEM. And Nicko has got himself a white BEM from somewhere, but I don't know the details of that one.

I have been on a hunt for Fairmont Ghia bits, but NOBODY has them, so I'll sit on that for awhile. It is encouraging (to me at least) that there are 1000's of cars going under the hammer here in Newcastle thanks to the flooding, so some Ghia bits may become available soon.

I few people have done this mod and let me know of late, but not too many pictures. So as I progress I might post stuff up here.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Please do. I'd like to do this conversion myself eventually.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Did some trial plug checks today, and trying to inspect more detail about what BEM I have. Some guy posted on FordForums that the Black BEM has a 'Blue ID' and a 'Green ID' version. The Black BEM was to support a Car Alarm apparently, and the Green ID version supports hi-series Audio.

Now, whether that means it also supports Dual-Zone Climate Control is another question. I might even give it a go before committing to the Green BEM.

But I have stumbled on another issue as a result.

On removing the connectors from the BEM, the Car Alarm goes off.

Does anyone know how to disable the Car Alarm? It was optioned by Ford, so I'm assuming it's a Factory alarm (unless it was a Dealer Special..!)...

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:02 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Before doing anything, turn the key to the run position first.

(i.e. same procedure as if you need to change the battery).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 17  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next