Fordmods Logo

Behind the Dash (quick question) - need some Help!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Behind the Dash (quick question) - need some Help!!!
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 Fairmont Fairlane

SA, Australia

Hi all,

Please help me with something. Please look at the picture below and tell me, if you know, what is the black box, what is it`s role and how can I take it off.

Anyone that has any idea, please help.

image sharing

Please let me know if I need to post a bigger image.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Behind the Dash (quick question) - need some Help!!!
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

That's part of you heater core/AC. It's bolted through the fire wall with nuts behind motor in engine bay.

If your unsure of what it is why are you removing it??

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The black box is the heaterbox...

You remove it buy pulling the computer loom out of the road... removing the reverse cycle box on the left hand side (3x 10mm nuts)... You then degass the ac and undo the TX valve in the engine bay where the AC lines enter the car... Remember to tape everything up as moisture in the AC system will kill it... You then undo your two heater hoses... There is then half-a-dozen-ish 8mm nuts holding that box to the firewall... You undo them (engine bay side of the firewall) and that there heater box will come away from the firewall... It's a lot bigger than the small section you've circled too... Goes further left and right...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Why do I want to take it off?
When I set the Climate Control to cold there is a hissing sound comming for inside or somewere around the box and the air comming out is like the outside temperature. I can change the directikn of the airflow and i hear all the doors and gears working. When i set the CC to "vent" the hissing stops.

Since I don't know the reason of this problem i started to pull de dash.
The CC diagnostic disn't detect any errors, the instalation was refiled and checked 2 month ago. The only things I can think of are the vaccun hoses, sone valve somewere or that black box (or something inside).

If you have any ideas, please post

@Tim: thanks mate, but I think I'll pass. :) I have to take the hole car apart to get to the F$&&ing box.

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Is not the blend door motor on top of the box? They play up and I have seen it removed with the screw driver bent at 90 degrees...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hissing noise could be vacuum. Check the vacuum hoses on your vacuum control box, one hose may have come out. Another area you can check is the far passenger side, there is a vacuum controlled actuator bolted to the side that controls recirculating or fresh external air. My one broke and had a constant hissing sound when you push the recirculating button, however when put on external or vent the sound went away. I just unplugged the hose and plugged it up, however now I don't have recirc, with hot weather outside, the air conditioning is useless unless I am moving.

Does it only hiss when the AC is on?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

The problem is that the hissing sound comes from inside the big box or somewere very close. I have already checked the hoses and the recirc. actuator works. The hissing is only on cold and i haven't tested the heat, no hissing on vent. It doesn't matter if it's on recirc. or external.
I tried all the usual things like hoses, actuators, vaccum seals... They are all new and in perfect condition. The only thing that I didn't check in the valve and the f&)ing box and it drives me crazy that i can't. I hope there is nothing broken in there like a pipe or something.

It seems that I'll have to pull out several double zero bills and head to a service.

Thanks for the info and if you think of something else post it.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

danny d. wrote:
The problem is that the hissing sound comes from inside the big box or somewere very close. I have already checked the hoses and the recirc. actuator works. The hissing is only on cold and i haven't tested the heat, no hissing on vent. It doesn't matter if it's on recirc. or external.
I tried all the usual things like hoses, actuators, vaccum seals... They are all new and in perfect condition. The only thing that I didn't check in the valve and the f&)ing box and it drives me crazy that i can't. I hope there is nothing broken in there like a pipe or something.

It seems that I'll have to pull out several double zero bills and head to a service.

Thanks for the info and if you think of something else post it.

Could be an AC issue then. I assume so because it only hisses when you have it on cold (assuming AC is on) and stops when you have vent selected (AC is off). I am not sure how the AC system works but when I have my AC unit on, I do get a hissing sound and the air is not as cool as one would hope. My AC system is stuffed though, so I'd have another look at the AC system.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I think low gas causes a hissing and the duration of the hissing gets longer the lower the gas? Up until the pressure switch kicks the compressor out?

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]