BEM/ICC Change 

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: BEM/ICC Change
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

Hi guys.

I'm looking at swapping the ICC in my BA XR6 to the one with the color screen. Both the new/old ICC use standard (manual) climate control.

I've done some research into this and from what I've gathered, it's pretty much a plug-and-play type upgrade. However, I've been told that the BEM will need changing over (and searching the forums here confirms that).

Is anybody able to tell me (or show me via photos) what/where the BEM is on the old ICC, and how easy/hard it is to move onto the new ICC?

This is pretty much the only thing that's holding me back. I want to be 100% informed when it comes time to do the upgrade.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2010 Nitro Blue FG

VIC, Australia

Hey mate, i got your PM but saw your post here as well. LOL It will be plug and play, but you have to take your car to a ford dealer and pay like $35 bucks or something to get it "unlocked" or something like that. i'll be trying mine shortly and will let you know.

The boogieman checks under his bed for chuck norris

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:04 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

andrewsfutura wrote:
Hey mate, i got your PM but saw your post here as well. LOL It will be plug and play, but you have to take your car to a ford dealer and pay like $35 bucks or something to get it "unlocked" or something like that. i'll be trying mine shortly and will let you know.

Hi mate, that's really confusing, because Darren at FTG said you don't need to take it to Ford at all. He told me you just remove the BEM from the old ICC and install it on the new one, and you're set to go. No need to visit Ford, unless you're going from standard climate control to dual, which I'm not in this case.

If Darren's right, where/what is the BEM, and how hard/easy is it to change over?

Let me know how you go with your install. Cheers mate.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:08 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

If you swap and BEM, no need for Ford. If you don't swap the BEM you'll need Ford to 're-key' your security system to the new BEM. - Car won't go at all. so be prepared with a tow or do the swap at the dealership.

As for the BEM they look kinda like this:
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q199 ... ack%20BEM/

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
If you swap and BEM, no need for Ford. If you don't swap the BEM you'll need Ford to 're-key' your security system to the new BEM. - Car won't go at all. so be prepared with a tow or do the swap at the dealership.

As for the BEM they look kinda like this:
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q199 ... ack%20BEM/

Thanks data_mine. Is this easy to locate/remove on the old ICC? Is it just screwed in?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

dunno, not my pics (Lukeyson from here) I just host them.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

PM Sent.

(1) The BEM is the unit at the bottom of the ICC that all of those plugs go into.
(2) The BEM has 4 x Phillips Head Screws that join it to the bottom of the ICC. Easily removed.
(3) The BEM does a s**t load of security stuff - The Remote Keyfobs via the Radio Receiver at the top of the ICC, the Keys via a litte radio Transceiver in the Ignition Barrel, and Smartshield via the PCM. Keepin your BEM means your car is not immobilised.
(4) You still have to go to Ford to get the Radio Security done. But at least you can drive the car there yourself......!

All the Radio Security stuff is in the Circuit Board within the CD Mechanism. You can replace the button circuit board, or the screen, and not require a Security Recode - even the Audio Amp submodule that sits vertically behind the screen doesn't need one. But as soon as you replace the CD unit, you need to do an Audio Security Recode.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Where A BEM is.
IMG_2377_WEB.jpg
IMG_2377_WEB.jpg [ 31.31 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]
File comment: A BEM
pic007.jpg
pic007.jpg [ 127.61 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:04 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thanks Lukeyson, that's really helpful.

If I've understood right, when I get the new ICC then, would it be worthwhile changing over the BEM **AND** the audio CD player box to the new ICC so I don't need to visit Ford?

In terms of Audio Security Recode, if that needs doing, does Ford charge anything for this? Is it purely so that the CD player works? If it only takes Ford a couple minutes to do it, and it's a free process, then I may not bother changing the CD player box over and just stick with doing the BEM only.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Isnt there issues with turning the ICC upside down, I heard that roost them, just for info/ as a precaution is all
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There is a sticker on the top of 6-stack ICC's warning not to turn them upside down or the warranty is void. But I've had both Premium Manual and Dual Zone ICC's on their side, both with 6 stack, and had no issue. I have never tipped them beyond 90 degrees though, and in most cases left a few degrees of margin by resting the top slightly higher than the base.

And yes, if you keep the original CD mechanism you shouldn't need an audio recode. But be careful here, because I don't know if you can mix and match different >types< of icc/screen with different CD units - mainly because of the added smarts needed to drive different types of screens.

So for example, if you're swapping a single CD to a single CD, both with low series LCD, you should be right.

But if your new ICC has a different screen from the original (remember there are 3 types of screen), I can't guarantee it.

And yes, Ford will likely charge for the Audio Security at $ per hour for however long it takes - but I've done it myself and it's a menu option that's quick to find. You could possibly slip it in for very-little-to-nix if you're already in for a service.

Luke

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:04 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

That's interesting information, Lukeyson. Thanks for your input.

I've spoken to Darren at FTG quite extensively about this ICC swap, and he has assured me on more than one occasion that if you do an ICC swap, as long as you swap across the BEM, you will **NOT** need to visit Ford at all. Hence, it's a straight plug-n-play upgrade you can do yourself at home without having to go to the dealer.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, Darren is usually right.

But that doesn't mean I think I'm wrong! I had to do the security when I swapped mine. And I've done 3 other swaps in my shed and they all needed an Audio Recode.

Give it a go, it doesn't take long at all. The big thing is swapping the BEM, and at least if you do that, you'll be fine to drive away.

But as for the Audio Recode, only one of us will get to say 'I told you so'...! (please be me, please be me, please be me......)

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:51 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Well, Darren is usually right.

But that doesn't mean I think I'm wrong! I had to do the security when I swapped mine. And I've done 3 other swaps in my shed and they all needed an Audio Recode.

Give it a go, it doesn't take long at all. The big thing is swapping the BEM, and at least if you do that, you'll be fine to drive away.

But as for the Audio Recode, only one of us will get to say 'I told you so'...! (please be me, please be me, please be me......)

Lukeyson

I'm looking forward to this now, so I get to see who's right ... !!! :-)

Just one other thing Lukeyson, you mentioned in your previous post that there's a menu option you go to and you can do the Re-encode yourself once you've put the new ICC in. Would you recommend doing this, and if so, how's it done (ie, where's the menu option, and what do you choose)? Does doing this save the trip to Ford for the audio re-encode? Maybe that's what Darren's being doing??

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It's a menu option on the Ford IDS/PDS Service Tool. That's what I meant to say.

So no, the only way to save a trip to Ford is to have a Ford Service Tool in your shed......if you get my meaning.....

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

We got a verdict yet?

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next