Fordmods Logo

Bf xr8 Auto Headlight not working 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Bf xr8 Auto Headlight not working
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL V8 Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

I have a BF xr8 and the headlights have the Auto on - off depending on the light outside. This has recently stopped working. I have checked all the fuses, and I had a friendly auto sparky check the light sensor on the dashboard with his scan tool through the OBD2 port. All seem to be working fine! the headlights are working in the normal positions, ie park, dip and full. Unfortunatly the auto sparky had not come across this before......

Any clues as to what may be causing the auto lights not to go?

Post subject: Re: Bf xr8 Auto Headlight not working
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

is the sensor in the middle of the dash the one that controls the lights? Doesn't seem to turn the headlights off when you shine a torch at it of turn the lights on if you cover it up in the sun?

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba turbo taxi

VIC, Australia

Frankie2 wrote:
I have a BF xr8 and the headlights have the Auto on - off depending on the light outside. This has recently stopped working. I have checked all the fuses, and I had a friendly auto sparky check the light sensor on the dashboard with his scan tool through the OBD2 port. All seem to be working fine! the headlights are working in the normal positions, ie park, dip and full. Unfortunatly the auto sparky had not come across this before......

Any clues as to what may be causing the auto lights not to go?

blinker stalk happens often more so on bf? not sure why

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

To Voids - Yes the sensor is the small dome in the center of the dash up top where the dash meets the screen. Interestingly, when the scan tool was hooked up, and the sensor was covered and uncovered, it showed on the scan tool as a percentage. this changed depending on how much light came onto the sensor.

To Phase Auto's - Thanks so much - I took the shroud off from around the steering wheel, and yes, the grey wire was broken. It also looks as if the problem has occured before, as a couple of the other wires had heat shrink on them......It looks as if the wires are simply a wisker short which puts strain on them when the headlight stalk moves from dip beam to full beam. Again thanks very much!

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Any clues as to how to remove the headlight stalk? Does the steering wheel need to be removed? I dont wish to set of the airbag in error!

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i had to replace the combo switch in my bf... it gets worse the longer you leave it, i eventually had no wipers or lights at all coming home one dusk in the rain.... lol

you should unplug the battery and leave it off for an hour before you work around airbags. and always be aware of them even when your probing round for wiring elsewhere in the car.... make sure you know which wires are which and simply undo the 2 torx screws in the back, carefully withdraw, unplug wiring and remove. and don't give it to the kids to kick around... lol then the wheel comes off then the combo switch. theres a certain procedure to installing them correctly to ensure your blinkers flick off automatically. otherwise you'll have state of the art auto headlights and old fashioned blinkers lol

must ad: never play with airbags untill educated & confident.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks Low Ryda - Great advice.

Interestingly - on the back of the light/indicator stalk, there is a plastic cover over the wires. If this is removed the wires are all very easily accessable. I simply added an extra 15mm length of wire, soldered it in, covered in heatshrink and all is working fine! Pretty simple fix really.

I contacted Ford, and in New Zealand the switch was over $700 inc gst, but apparently it comes with the wiper switch and clock spring assembly also. To fit, the wheel and bag needs to be removed, so the repair to the broken wire was the best, easy fix.

thanks all for your help.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

awesome. A lot cheaper than a new one. I replaced mine with a second hand clockspring assembly and touch wood it's still working fine.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]