Boot Release w/ Aftermarket Alarm 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Boot Release w/ Aftermarket Alarm
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:10 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I'e had an aftermarket alarm for nearly a year now, with the boot release not working, yet I managed to get remote start working (go figure).

Anyone else know how to wire up the boot release.

I've been doing alot of checking, and it appears the boot release button, only works for X mins after you remove the key so that's no good.

The wiring diagrams from the Grgory's manual, shows the boot release relies on the boot lamp circuit (again sourced from the BEM), so I dunno if wiring up to the boot solenoid output from the BEM (violet wire) will work anyway.

The fuel door release, seems to have 12V power all the time (via door lock fuse), maybe I can use that.

Ideas anyone?

'bout to go outside with a multimeter, and see whats going on.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

I got no ideas but i do have an alarm with remote start that still needs to be fitted so i am really interested on what gives....

what brand of alarm do you have? mine is from jaycar

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Post subject: Re: Boot Release w/ Aftermarket Alarm
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I managed to get remote start working (go figure).

with your key in or key out of the ignition barrel?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:36 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

out :)

Actually I've got a second barrel/key hidden under the dash, and disabled (so you can't use it to start the car, cut of the other wires), trained the BEM to recognise that barrel, and all's good.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
out :)

Actually I've got a second barrel/key hidden under the dash, and disabled (so you can't use it to start the car, cut of the other wires), trained the BEM to recognise that barrel, and all's good.

very clever ... good party trick, is that all you use it for??

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:45 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I use the remote start all the time, it's very handy. I've got a long-ish walk from front door to the car, so I hit the remote start, as I leave, by the time I get down to the car, it's running, aircon/heater on, music pumping, I unlock get in and drive off.

As for boot release...

yellow wire, 12V (probaly from the fuel door release as it always works :))
red wire (looks orange), negative signal from alarms boot release output.
blue wire, to the violet boot release wire out of the BEM, I've added a diode protection to prevent 12V going into the BEM or back-EMF from the boot solenoid attacking the BEM (I'm cautious).

Handy having lots of wire colours available, as the colours I used will match (about) the wires they need to hook up to.

Post subject: Re: Boot Release w/ Aftermarket Alarm
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I'e had an aftermarket alarm for nearly a year now, with the boot release not working, yet I managed to get remote start working (go figure).Anyone else know how to wire up the boot release.
I've been doing alot of checking, and it appears the boot release button, only works for X mins after you remove the key so that's no good.
The wiring diagrams from the Grgory's manual, shows the boot release relies on the boot lamp circuit (again sourced from the BEM), so I dunno if wiring up to the boot solenoid output from the BEM (violet wire) will work anyway.
The fuel door release, seems to have 12V power all the time (via door lock fuse), maybe I can use that.
Ideas anyone?
'bout to go outside with a multimeter, and see whats going on.
You've pretty much answered yourself most of your question. The alarms on my cars have boot release, but if you read below what both the cars are, you see how useful they'd be - I use them instead for interior light switch on. Getting back on subject, mine are simply earth ccts, so you could fit a relay, with 12v from the petrol lid power to the relay main contact, and relay coil power - the line from the main relay contacts goes to the boot release solenoid, or nearby in that wire run. The other wire from the relay coil goes to your boot release wire from the alarm control unit. This setup will ensure that the boot release function will work anytime from your alarm keyfob, and boot release from the car release button will remain the same - only on acc or within x minutes after ign off. I don't think you should change (if you're considering it) the car release button system to power always there, as anyone can break in and get into the boot without a key, although I suppose they'd still get through the back seat - better not to give them any other options.
My cct above assumes your alarm boot release wire simply provides a momentary earth.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:55 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

snap, yeah my thinking above mathces yours, I was just after a sanity check, to make sure I wasn't doing anythign stupid, or the hard way.

Looks like I go ahead.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

I was close to installing remote start on mine, but disabling smartlock didn't tickle my fancy. It may be stock but it is another line of defence against theft.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:52 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Walkinshaw wrote:
I was close to installing remote start on mine, but disabling smartlock didn't tickle my fancy. It may be stock but it is another line of defence against theft.

yeah, but that's what the new alarm is for.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I use the remote start all the time, it's very handy. I've got a long-ish walk from front door to the car, so I hit the remote start, as I leave, by the time I get down to the car, it's running, aircon/heater on, music pumping, I unlock get in and drive off.

So you have remote start but no remote central locking, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I'd rather remote locking for when it's raining?

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Pollux wrote:
data_mine wrote:

So you have remote start but no remote central locking, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I'd rather remote locking for when it's raining?

Where'd I say I had no central locking. Only the boot doesn't work.

It'd be silly for the alarm to start the car AND unlock the doors. The doors stay locked until you press the unlock button.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
snap, yeah my thinking above mathces yours, I was just after a sanity check, to make sure I wasn't doing anythign stupid, or the hard way.Looks like I go ahead.
Yeah, doesn't hurt. - As for remote start, I'm not keen on it, but sounds like you have yours set up well to suit you - it'a shame people comment on it without knowing the full configuration.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Walkinshaw wrote:

yeah, but that's what the new alarm is for.

Not many people take much notice of a car alarm these days. But i suppose it would be better than nothing! :wink:

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

everythings a deterent as if someone really wants something they'll get it.

check www.12voltshop.com and search thru there in diagrams
its quite easy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next