Fordmods Logo

boss kit/ smaller steering wheel ilegal? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: boss kit/ smaller steering wheel ilegal?
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensill...

NSW, Australia

Yes my horn dose work.... and no, my airbag light dosent flash.
Its called a "resistor", and clearing the code... actually this website pretty much tells you how to do it, IIRC.

Anythings possiable. Read up. :D

Attachments:
010.JPG
010.JPG [ 102.2 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

XR6, 3''CAI, sick'o BBM, no AC, 2.5''exhaust, special cat, PWR radiator&expansion-tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM converter, shiftkit, 4 pin 3.91:1, 31spline billets, minispool, Nolathane, RDA golds, My interior, genuine GT's.. (gallery) SpeedFlow

Last edited by wholagan on Mon May 02, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

wholagan wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA geeeez listen to some of you guys, (no mentioning names!), say what you want, but have some f**k respect..

YES ALOT of us take a great disliking to the typical sterotype of that person whos, "on their P's", who like their "s**t" and want "locked diffs" and f**k standard engine bays with "Pod filters" sticking out the bonnet, And aftermarket "steering wheels without the factory airbag".. And the guy who likes to hit 100km/h in my street on school hour which is a 40km/h because hes trying to impress his 16yro friend.

Been nasty to people on the internet, WHO YOU DONT FRIGGEN KNOW, LIKE MYSELF, will achieve absoutly nothing for everyone who loves this website (so dont waste your time replying with garbage)

MY CAR actually has alot of the "typical dislikings" that so many OF YOU run down on first impressions...

The thing is..., it isent a scabby piece of s**t... And is so much safer then what one would first think... Yes it dose have illegal modifications, and in my opinion they are safe, if not safer then the standard setups, BUT that opinion is only based around my intended purpose for the car....

If it was a casual daily driver, been driven by someone with no experience and no idea, and who DIDENT build it themselves... then yes, i would agree there is most definatly incressed potential for an accident..

Geez, I've done nothing but stick up for the guy, but even I have to say EASY TIGER! lol Don't blow a gasket! :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

i think in some, indirect way, i have offended his steering wheel :?

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

thanks for the people who have asnwered my question, but no need for any 1 to post stupid crap on here about me having a "hacked" steering column and how im just a young d*ck head and wining like 4 year olds to each other, i only use this forum to help me get my car fixed and to learn about my car, and help others to fix theirs not to abuse other users for their mistakes,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

There is a lot if b**ch on here..
Like you say this is for constructive purposes, and educating.
It's a bit like when you go up to your dad with a brilliant idea and you want to bounce it off him and all he says is "huh.. Waddya wanna do that for!"

I'd say, if you wouldn't want somthing typed to you, don't type it to somone else, cos it reflects to the real-world saying, would you say that stuff to a blokes face if we were all in a meeting together?
We'd be punching on all day, never getting anywhere.

AND the way the older blokes do it most often is NOT setting a good example for everyone else like you and me!

I think it pisses a person off when they see someone doing an "illegal mod" and getting away with it.
Although that interior pic above is pretty horny!

You should see this other thread that was old and I commented on it, you should see the carry on people had!!

And..from what I read you didn't make any mistakes, wasn't it already fitted to the car?

The legal side technical crap I think is cos when ford released the EF they realized it was a lot more powerful than the ea and so fitted airbag as a prevention for the expected "larger scale" accidents.
As I said that interior above looks sweet with the different wheel, let's face it the big bubble centres of the airbag wheel isn't that attractive.
Yeah..it's illegal, but technically putting anything that didn't come on the car from the factory is "illegal" but in the end it's all our descretion.

I'd leave it as it is, if you like the look and feel safe enough knowin there isn't somthing to stop you getting a steering wheel "grille". Go for it!

If your a cruiser, there's no worries anyway, and if the testosterone dose boil up I say

"there nothing wrong with a little irresponsible driving...as long as it's done responsibly!"

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
There is a lot if b**ch on here..
Like you say this is for constructive purposes, and educating.
It's a bit like when you go up to your dad with a brilliant idea and you want to bounce it off him and all he says is "huh.. Waddya wanna do that for!"

I'd say, if you wouldn't want somthing typed to you, don't type it to somone else, cos it reflects to the real-world saying, would you say that stuff to a blokes face if we were all in a meeting together?
We'd be punching on all day, never getting anywhere.

AND the way the older blokes do it most often is NOT setting a good example for everyone else like you and me!

I think it pisses a person off when they see someone doing an "illegal mod" and getting away with it.
Although that interior pic above is pretty horny!

You should see this other thread that was old and I commented on it, you should see the carry on people had!!

And..from what I read you didn't make any mistakes, wasn't it already fitted to the car?

The legal side technical crap I think is cos when ford released the EF they realized it was a lot more powerful than the ea and so fitted airbag as a prevention for the expected "larger scale" accidents.
As I said that interior above looks sweet with the different wheel, let's face it the big bubble centres of the airbag wheel isn't that attractive.
Yeah..it's illegal, but technically putting anything that didn't come on the car from the factory is "illegal" but in the end it's all our descretion.

I'd leave it as it is, if you like the look and feel safe enough knowin there isn't somthing to stop you getting a steering wheel "grille". Go for it!

If your a cruiser, there's no worries anyway, and if the testosterone dose boil up I say

"there nothing wrong with a little irresponsible driving...as long as it's done responsibly!"

...uhh not all things put into a car is illegal...a properly functioning cup holder for the EF/ELs for example or upgraded speakers. If you're talking about mechanical side of things, well then some may be illegal, but if they are replaced with ADR approved items then yes they are most likely deemed legal for the vehicle it was intended for, which can sometimes be debatle.

I agree with the interior, it does look better than a standard, however IMO the steering wheel looks out of place.

In regards to the steering wheel, it's for your own safety, even if you know your car and know how to handle it. If a drunk guy or tired driver decides to go into incoming traffic, I am sure the airbag would come in handy...rather than the air baglgess "good looking" steering wheel which is now pressed against your forehead.

Yes you may be a good P-plater driver...but there are other drivers out on the road besides you that can cause accidents all around you.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yeah, I can agree with all that.

LOL @ post whore 2006 :-P

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

unfortunately you must drive for everyone else on they road... So many s**t drivers out there...

Yes you may like your airbag-less wheel... at the end of the day... when you get a pink slip every year the rego place should be picking up on it and knocking it... So if someone ever head on's you (not saying YOU can't drive) and you smash your head open... You blame the inspector for passing and un-roadworthy car... Otherwise the copper's will try to go you...

Each to their own... At the end of the day my ED never came with factory fitted airbags so its an easy fix...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

My personal opinion is are air bags always safe?Specially for short people (like myself) who have to sit close to the steering wheel.

I have not failed.I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yet in some cases the air bags dont even go off????

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

I heard of accidents where the at is hit in a certain way like a t bone to the front wheel or somthin and the sensor wouldn't go off. The most modern cars have them everywhere but some earlier cars only had two on each chassis rail right at the front.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
yet in some cases the air bags dont even go off????

Well I know when I hit the tree that mine didn't go off (left hand passenger hit.Where the blinker sits)

I have not failed.I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

probly shouldnt test ur car on a tree. lol.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

sure, not everything full proof, sure not everything, works out, but they try their best.
Also the airbag vs no airbag, because a potential broken nose or slight burn. but if it hadn't gone off, well you don't know you don't have anything to say otherwise, hell there could've been enough whiplash to have broken your kneck, as opposed to just a broken nose, what's your preference.

by the way most roady blokes mobs etc.
aren't tostressed, aslong as afterall they can just say it wasn't like that when i passed, who's to have evidence to argue.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

air bag will go off if the sensors in the front get hit and decallarate at over 2g's

the sensors are located on the main rails, just between the lights.

if it has hit the corner that will slow the shock to the car and not set the bag off.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next