Fordmods Logo

CARBON FIBRE EF FAIRMONT! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: CARBON FIBRE EF FAIRMONT!
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

Does anyone know where to get 3M Di-noc Carbon fiber Vinyl im in melbourne, what shop or supplyer would sell it? http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-parts-accessories-auto-body-parts-3M-Di-Noc-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Film-Wrap-CA-421-Fibre-W0QQAdIdZ192517634

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Carbon fibre
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

please DO NOT USE THAT ON YOUR CAR
it is cheap and nasty and it will lift in 6 months

Post subject: Re: Carbon fibre
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

:( But KWIKXR used it on his airbox! if it can take engine bay temp it must be half desent, its only for interior parts anyways :D

Post subject: Re: CARBON FIBRE EF FAIRMONT!
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

BUMP!

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

This might be the same guy selling it on Ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3M-Di-Noc-Carbon-Fiber-Fibre-Vinyl-Film-Wrap-CA-421-5m_W0QQitemZ140400342142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20b083347e

The genuine 3M Di Noc stuff is pretty good quality IMO. Easy to apply and is very durable so it will work fine for interior trims. You can use heat to form it around curved sections AND return it back to it's original shape if it gets creased or stretched - which is good... but this is the why it is not really recommended for use on parts in the engine bay that see high temperatures because the heat will cause the film to go back to it's original shape therefore lifting it off the surface IF it has been stretched or formed with heat to apply the film around curves.

The exception to this is when you apply it to a flat surface as it can be applied straight onto the surface without using any heat to stretch it, which is the case with my airbox as it is all made of flat panels. I've had it on for almost a month now and it hasn't shown one sign of letting up. I know the airbox doesn't really get that hot, but i push my car hard quite often on long drives so engine bay temps do get fairly high and it's holding up just fine. One side of the airbox is sitting about 2cm away from the top radiator hose which gets very hot, and so far so good, no lifting or bubbling :). The carbon fibre film may look or seem "rice" to some, but it's the next best thing to real carbon fibre and looks great if you don't go to overboard with it.

My 2c..

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks KWIKXR yeah im not going overboard i just want to do my woodgrain spears on the doors 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]