Climate control 

Page 1 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Climate control
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Hey all. I've got an EF Gli sedan, and was contemplating changing my standard A/C control panel for an Auto Climate Control unit from an EF Fairmont (maybe from wreckers?) IS THIS POSSIBLE? Or does the Fairmont unit need external sensors that would be unobtainable or just too damn hard to fit?

The reason I'm thinking of this is that I've just retro-fitted the Fairmont / Futura Digital clock unit in place of my standard BLANK dash panel & it works great!
I also noticed there were a couple of spare wiring looms with plugs behind the clock panel, and I'm assuming these could be for the Fairmont / Futura trip computer option. IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETRO-FIT THESE? Or is this another one for the 'too hard' basket?

Any opinions would be MUCH appreciated!

P.S. What a great site! The 'ECU resetting' post was particularly interesting ...my project for the weekend, I think! :D

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

trip computer will more than likely require some wires being soldered into the dash cluster there is a docco about this.
Climate control requires the installation of temperature and sun load sensors as well as fan speed resistors need to be replaced and blend door motor. A few people on here have done it, but i believe the consensus is that it's too much work with pulling out the dashboard etc.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Post subject: climate control
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Punnisher! Yeah, Climate control sounds too bloody hard! Had a look at the trip computer doc you mentioned, that looks like a pain in the a***, too!
Besides, wreckers wouldn't sell me the trip comp unit!

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Post subject: Re: climate control
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
Thanks Punnisher! Yeah, Climate control sounds too bloody hard! Had a look at the trip computer doc you mentioned, that looks like a pain in the a***, too!

don't let wreckers scare you off - keep your nose sniffing and you'll find everything you need - I'm doing the CC mod when my umm.. "parcel" arrives from Uglybob - then it's going in! Fusion has done it quite recently!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Happy! Wreckers told me I would practically have to change my whole dash to fit CC in!
Maybe I'll give it a miss for now, and see how you guys fare! Let me know how you get along!
Getting a complete re-spray soon, but wouldn't mind getting an XR6/8 bodykit at same time...ANY SUGGESTIONS as to WHERE?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
markr154 wrote:

don't let wreckers scare you off - keep your nose sniffing and you'll find everything you need - I'm doing the CC mod when my umm.. "parcel" arrives from Uglybob - then it's going in! Fusion has done it quite recently!

Greg you aint ever going to get that CC mod done. Like me your jsut too lazy :P.

As for bodykits, try ssv or awcinfo (?)(they are on the net). Or site sponsor FTG.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:32 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Trip computer is piss easy.

I'll be doing my CC this weekend hopefully. Taking lots of pics, and I'll write up a new doco, as the one here is incomplete, and IMO rather poor.

I've got all the parts:
http://fordmods.datamine.tk/gallery.asp ... %20Control

And have bench tested it all.

Except I've got a EF unit, and a EL cappachino unit. DAMN CRAPACHINO. Anyone wanna swap with a EL grey one?

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Try PM Darren or NIck they might let you swap it over.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Happy wrote:
markr154 wrote:

Greg you aint ever going to get that CC mod done. Like me your jsut too lazy :P.

As for bodykits, try ssv or awcinfo (?)(they are on the net). Or site sponsor FTG.

Yes Greg when is your CC conversion actually going to take place?

It's been a fair while now!!

Pull your finger out buddy!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

anyone who's actually done the CC conversion availabe for questions?

Why does my blend door motor not fit? And does the fan controller, actually have to fit IN the heaterbox? It looks like it's supposed to and has a gasket for sealing it in. but there's no corresponding hole in my heaterbox, just a weird plug ting, which has a bunch of springs hooked up the a plug (this some sort of heater).

My car remains undriveable overnight. Back to it tomorrow.

Yes, it IS hard work. Lots of blood & sweat (no tears I'm a bloke).

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
anyone who's actually done the CC conversion availabe for questions?

Why does my blend door motor not fit? And does the fan controller, actually have to fit IN the heaterbox? It looks like it's supposed to and has a gasket for sealing it in. but there's no corresponding hole in my heaterbox, just a weird plug ting, which has a bunch of springs hooked up the a plug (this some sort of heater).

My car remains undriveable overnight. Back to it tomorrow.

Yes, it IS hard work. Lots of blood & sweat (no tears I'm a bloke).
Looks like Phil is THE interior mod MAN!!

Post some pics Phil!

Maybe I could use you when I decide to chuck in a Trip Computer & Climate Control ...what do you say?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Ive converted my heaterbox to climate control version.
You can fit the blend door motor to it, just pull off the connector ontop of the blend door, be careful but it will come off. I just prised it off slowly with a screwdriver.
You then need the connector off a climate version.

As for the fan speed controller, it fits in the same location, but you have to cut out some of the area above the hole thats already there. The hole that has to be cut is also easy, its already set up for the larger hole. On the inside, there is a depression of thinner plastic where you have to cut through, stick your finger in and have a feel around, you'll soon know where to cut. I used a Dremel.

You dont need to open the heaterbox either, its not only a pain in the a**, but you'll probably break it like I did (I didnt care though, as It was a scrap one)

With mine there was also a metal piece in there behind the old fan speed controller, which is rivetted in. The climate fan speed controller wont fit with that there, so Drill out those rivets and pull it out the metal piece through the larger hole you have made.
There is two rivets, one should be visable, the other is behind the recirculate vent. (which you have to pull off to get at - 3x 10mm nuts - one inside, two on the outer edge)
While you have that off pull the fan off and this will give you access to the inside of the heatbox and will give you a chance to give the inside a good clean.

Im also talking about EBII/ED, but im pretty sure its the same, or very similar.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Edit, it looks like your fan speed controller is mounted higher than what mine was. But you just need to cut out around the area highlighted so the climate one will fit.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:08 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

lol, I was about to say you've got the same screw to hold shut the recirc vent as I do. Until I scrolld down further and saw my watermark. :lol:

Cool, I figured I'd have to do some cutting. Any idea what that connector (and the 'strings' behind it)does?

Now as for the blend door motor. Is the 'arm' on a CC airbox different to a regular airbox? Cause I've got mine sort of 'on' but it doesn't sit right. I may have to figure a different way to attach it.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Yeah the 'arm' is different, it will come off, just prise it slowly.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next