Fordmods Logo

clock spring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: clock spring
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Not sure where to post this, so I will try here.

I have to replace the steering column in the wagin. (floor shift) I have a replacement column from a donor car, and I am pretty sure the steering is not centered.

After fitting the replacement column, what is the best way to center the clock spring, and should it be done before refitting the intermediate shaft

Cheers

Post subject: Re: clock spring
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fit the steering wheel so it is mechanically connected to the wheels... Get the wheel and wheels straight ahead (centred) without the clock spring installed (three clips to the combo switch)

The clock spring has instructions on it to centre... There is an arrow... you turn the top section that way while holding the bottom section until it goes firm... Then the cautious part, that usually isn't quite two and half turns off centre, might be two and a quarter... The flat sections should be top and bottom when centred from memory... Not on the sides... There is a steel tab that needs to be pressed in to make the clock spring turn (steering wheel pushes on it when installed)...

So once it goes firm you need to force it that little further to get the 2.5 turns out from centre... Then turn back the other way 2.5 turns and that's centre (falcons have 2.5 or just under turns to lock each way...)

Easy peasy... Done heaps... So don't stress too much... They're more robust that most people think as long you aren't rough on them...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: clock spring
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Thanks forthat, sounds easy 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]