Fordmods Logo

Cost of new BA key from Ford 

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Also, don't forget:

It's only the first two keys that have to be done by Ford through 'Dealer Teach'. And any credible business will not bill in increments less than 1 hour. By the time the overheads of your phone call, scheduling stuff in, handing over your keys and getting all setup are taken into account, it seems more than fair.

There is then a customer key-teach sequence that you can use to teach any additional keys, you just need the first two keys to do it.

Doesn't help you much at the moment I'm afraid, but I felt it needed to be said.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

jrfttf wrote:
Sad but prices are true! Get people coming in all the time cause they have one key or lost it! Sad reality is at the end of they day people need it so they gotta pay it!

As said before if it was non-coded $20 at a locksmith would kill it!

IM 100% Certain my dealer has both the keys, jsut refused to give me a second set, so i would pay crazy prices.

A Place around here claims they can do it for 150, one day i may give it a go, but its still a lot of money for a freaking key

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So if you have 2 x keys already, just buy blanks from eBay, get them cut, and you can teach them to the car yourself....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:48 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

84RGE wrote:
IM 100% Certain my dealer has both the keys, jsut refused to give me a second set, so i would pay crazy prices.

You've been ripped off then.

Buying the car, includes two keys and two remotes. The dealer must give them to you as they've already been paid for.

Then go find another dealer to do your servicing at. They don't deserver any more of your business.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:06 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
84RGE wrote:

Buying the car, includes two keys and two remotes. The dealer must give them to you as they've already been paid for.

Then go find another dealer to do your servicing at. They don't deserver any more of your business.

did u buy the car new or 2nd hand?

alot of cars (particularly ex gvt, fleet and ford motor company cars) only get traded in/auctioned with one key/remote..

what possible reason would a dealership have to keep a second key to your car. where would they all get stored for the hundreds of cars they sell,
and is it worth upseting a customer for an hours labour charge?

Also, think about the fact insurance is cheaper because of transponder type immobolisers, and that alot of euro car keys are upwards of $500.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

One of my BA's came with two keys and the other only one. Both were company cars. It's bit of a bummer not having two keys for the XR6 but I bought another remote on ebay for about $30 delivered, trained it to the car and live with that. At least I don't need to worry about the original remote if it dies.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
84RGE wrote:

I understand, but i bought my car second hand, and all they have to say is "we dont have the second key", there is no way to follow up on this, no wi have to fork extra for their spare.....

Needless to say i didnt, 250 for a key? no thanks

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Er, so you're saying that with all the room taken up with the storage of those 100's of 2nd hand cars for sale on the lot, that storage space for the 2nd set of keys is the problem?

Well I guess you are closer to the action than us, so we'll have to take your word for it!

I don't think this is endemic. Sometimes the 2nd keys just get lost don't they? Most likely by the person leasing the car than any of the intermediate companies.

Certainly they all come with a 2nd set of keys when new, and I wouldn't have thought that reputable car yards would just dump the 2nd set in the bin...

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

By no means am i suggesting EVERY second hand car's second set of keys is kept back, and its not hard to throw em in the bin or recut them anyhow, they ae all the same design, jsut different programming.

all im saying is that it would be a easy way for the dealer to make an instant 150.

and i dont think ive ever come across a reputable 2nd hand car yard yet....

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

84RGE wrote:

Or new car dealer, they don't last long if they are honest.

I don't trust anyone that works on commission, it brings out dishonesty.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:42 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

84RGE wrote:
By no means am i suggesting EVERY second hand car's second set of keys is kept back, and its not hard to throw em in the bin or recut them anyhow, they ae all the same design, jsut different programming.

all im saying is that it would be a easy way for the dealer to make an instant 150.

but an instant $150 isnt worth upsetting you. If there is 2 keys to the car given to the dealer, the 2 keys will be passed onto you.
But from a business point of view, why would u spend $150 a car to cut a 2nd key if u didnt need to?

what do u do for a crust?

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

xpression wrote:
84RGE wrote:

but an instant $150 isnt worth upsetting you. If there is 2 keys to the car given to the dealer, the 2 keys will be passed onto you.
But from a business point of view, why would u spend $150 a car to cut a 2nd key if u didnt need to?

what do u do for a crust?

Because it costs money to make money, sure, its only a small amount to us, but who knows it may happen several times a day. not sure how people cant beleive this happens!

What do i do for a crust? i work in the Security Industry, how thats relevant im not sure, i dont know of anyone that bought a second hand ford that has received 2 keys., i have hear dof it happening, but only people who deal with that dealer and are taken care of.

Moral of the story, id rather pay $150 to Mr Minit to do my Keys then Fraud for the same Key, but $250

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

84RGE wrote:

Because it costs money to make money, sure, its only a small amount to us, but who knows it may happen several times a day. not sure how people cant beleive this happens!

What do i do for a crust? i work in the Security Industry, how thats relevant im not sure, i dont know of anyone that bought a second hand ford that has received 2 keys., i have hear dof it happening, but only people who deal with that dealer and are taken care of.

Moral of the story, id rather pay $150 to Mr Minit to do my Keys then Fraud for the same Key, but $250

but it didnt cost money to make money in your case. You should have got it included in you contract of sale that it would be supplied with 2 keys, then theres no issue. i would suggest to you after checking our used car key board yesterday that 90% of our used cars have 2 keys and remotes with them, and ive worked in several other dealerships where its the same story, so i find your "everyone i know whos bought a car from a dealership only has one key" just a little bit hard to believe. I cant comment on the dealership you bought the car from, as it wasnt one ive worked in, but there are many, many dealerships where the staff are honest people like myself who go to work, get paid and support their families. Why do dealerships charge more for labour etc? because we have hundreds of thousands worth of special computers and service tools that only we have. I could go on all day about the amount of cars people bring to use that have been to 10 other places and spent thousands of $$$ trying to fix, and it takes us an hour and maybe $50 worth of parts to fix and its done, all because we know the product.

Post subject: key
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

I charge for a key cut a program
Key-$106(list price from Ford)
Key cut-$30
Program In-$60
Sometimes freight-$9
plus GST of course

1996 EL XR8, Dynamic White, 18inch Simmons Wheels, Lowered all round with pedders shocks and springs, Clear tail lights and clear side repeaters

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Holy s**t. I was angry at my missus for loosing the key to our new BA 3 days after I gave it to her but now I'm really angry! :roll:

ImageImage

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next