Fordmods Logo

Cutting parcel shelf to fit 6x9 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Cutting parcel shelf to fit 6x9
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Zzz im over this. my old man cut my parcel shelf with a jigsaw cutter to fit 6x9's no bigger then what was needed & ive heard its ok if the mesurement from the restraints or some bull s**t is a certain ammount its ok (Cut no more then 2mm or somethin?) Ive heard soo much its illegal in victoria but my dad wont listen. Anyone Know exactly?..Its pissin me off im 100% sure u cant cut the bastard

Now we considering re welding the area by the same size as it was stock with a spare car

Post subject: Re: Cutting parcel shelf to fit 6x9
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

100% illegal if you ever need a road worthy don't it wont pass.

as its classed as a structural part of the vehicle

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Its illegal. Why not use some spacers ?

Also a set of 6.5inch speaker will sound much better than 6x9's.

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

peaandham wrote:
Its illegal. Why not use some spacers ?

Also a set of 6.5inch speaker will sound much better than 6x9's.

looks better too. iv got a set of brand new sony xplod 6.5 inch speakers for sale, PM me an offer if your interested

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Dono if it's illegal in NT but I usually bashed mine out (bush style lol) and cops never picked it..

But the last car I couldn't be bothered and (over)payed for some aerpro plastic angled 6x9 spacers.
If you already have a jigsaw tho get some MDF and make some.

Or just do it anyway, youd have to be driving pretty silly, or piss him riiight off to have a cop inspect you car thoroughly enough to notice that.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah buddy... in a modern (is it mono-chassis?) cars like ours the parcel tray is a structural part of the car...

enlarging the holes any bigger at all will make the car un-roadworthy...now it will only take a clever copper who knows this to say something... a mechanic working on it to notice... In NSW the people issuing your yearly pink slip to notice... When it runs out of rego, the people doing the blue slip to notice (has to meet original manufacturers specs to pass blue slip)... Or lastly the insurance company to notice when you have an accident and say na we're not paying you out because your car was un-roadworthy (you know what insurance companies are like)...

Lots of people do it... Some realise, some don't...

I personally like 6.5" coaxials for rear speakers over 6x9's I find circular speakers produce better mid range notes... 6x9's have a larger area and will produce a bit more bass, but I have an 8" sub in the factory hole that fixes all low end response in the car...

Welding the holes up wont change the fact they have been cut out... The odds of noticing are less... But remember when you weld anything you create two very weak brittle points either side of the weld... So your not actually adding any strength back... You near have to drill the spot welds out remove the whole tray and replace with another tray and spot weld back the way it was, and then I still don't know how you'd go...

This is worst possible case scenario... But thats how our stupid laws these days work...

Far easier to by the 6x9 spacers, angles ones even better, and the magnet hangs through the 6" hole and the basket fits inside the spacer then and no cutting is required... aerpro, or jaycar would do things like this...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It is monocoque Tim the chassis design you are looking for.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks Matt :mrgreen:

Knew it was a mono something... :lol:

What is it they call older cars? :?

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

lol and is there a way to make it road worthy again? i did suggest using spacers & then dynomating the parcel shelf area & say it had rattle..what u reckon?

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

As I said...

I imagine the only way of doing it would be to drill all the spot welds and transplant a new one in... But nobody would go to that trouble... If your that worried it'd be easier to buy a new car...

Welding bit and pieces on wont cut it... If it ever needs a blue slip, or the cops notice it than it'll be permanently defected... Very hard to repair...

Up to you what you do... Too hard to fix... I'd just leave and make sure you always renew your rego on time and don't piss any coppers off too much...

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

damn its bull crap worked for a year as an apprentice doing it up and it can be defected possibly permanetly im over it hard enough getting poo cash yet alone some cop or person having a sook about 3mm trimmed out the sides..it hasn't even been cut into like jagged edges it sits flush. i swear the law is too STRICT...what a joke.... Save up for an Xr6 this is a joke O.o

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
damn its bull crap worked for a year as an apprentice doing it up and it can be defected possibly permanetly im over it hard enough getting poo cash yet alone some cop or person having a sook about 3mm trimmed out the sides..it hasn't even been cut into like jagged edges it sits flush. i swear the law is too STRICT...what a joke.... Save up for an Xr6 this is a joke O.o

I wouldn't be too fussed man, if you've had it a while and spent money you obviously like the car.

Just keep it anyway, what are the chances you will need to get such a thorough inspection done?
It would take a pretty cluey whoever was inspecting to pick it I reckon as well.

Just cruise and enjoy the driving and you'll never get picked on anyway. Cops mostly have gotten me when I have attracted their attention.

Ive had cars with speaker holes cut bigger, my front ones are cut a little to fit my 6s in.

I reckon, if your in an accident where the damage was so severe that the intregity of the parcel shelf failed. You'd probably have bigger things to worry about if you were still alive... Lol.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

The bloke who owned my Falcon before hand cut up the shelf to fit 6x9 in. they shounded like crap too. i got a defect (from too low) and i just welded a metal plate and re-cut a 6.5 inch hole and pretty much made it look stock. went in to get the defect taken off and they done the whoe check seatbelts and etc. they didnt even notice it.

i could have been lucky maybe i got a dodgy guy that day, but im sure if it looks pretty much stock you wont have trouble.

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]