Fordmods Logo

DESPERATE HELP REQUIRED...TRIP COMPUTER PROBLEMS... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: DESPERATE HELP REQUIRED...TRIP COMPUTER PROBLEMS...
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi All,

I am trying to install a trip computer into my EF Falcon and have followed all the instructions are per the technical documentation and I can get it to Dim correctly, but cannot get the data line to work, which goes to the RH side of the cluster.

I have tried installing it 6 times now, and still cannot get it. I thought I would finally ask for help.

All help is greatly appreciated

John.

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF OPT20

SA, Australia

My guess is you dont have a good connection at the cluster plug for the data wire - having the correct pin to fit the plug makes a huge differance to ease of fitting.

'94 EF GLI
Dash Mat
Color-coded Ashtray
Polished Wheel Nuts

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Does it show distance to empty? I thought I stuffed up when I installed mine as it come up 0 on avg and instant ltrs per 100 but came up with the distance to empty. This fixes itself once you start driving as it then can actually calculate it. I was stressing out about it after I tried two different computers and then it clicked an I went for a drive and bingo it worked! If it doesn't show DTE then yeah you have a dodgy connection or something. For mine I just stripped the wire and pushed it straight into the hole in the cluster connecter and then taped it to the loom so it stayed there.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

just installed my trip computer today - been sitting 'round 'til I had some time to install it and since we had a day off today here in Adelaide I decided today was a good chance to do it .
I used some of the wires from the actual clock connector :
yellow/black ;
black ;
connected the black/white - LCD Dimmer signal wire to the white of the clock connector.
And then used any common Brown , and Dark blue /red wires that were nearby ( I think it was the Demister connector ) to cater for those wires and then ..........
the Red/Dark green wire and terminal from the clock wiring connector I disconnected from the clock plug by removing the white locking mechanism at the back of that connector and inserting into the front of the connector ( where the wire is ) a suitable screwdriver small enough to fit in there to lever the lock and free the wire and out she popped . So this wire ( with the terminal attached became the wire I used to fit into the instrument cluster RH connector - because the connectors are identical except that the instrument cluster connector is bigger - so if the connectors are identical then that means that the wire and terminal will slot in to that location - and it did ) and then I attached a wire from the Trip computer connector ( pin 1 ) and ran it to the instrument cluster rh connector and hey presto 1 trip computer trip computing.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Your probably using the wrong data line.

You have to physically add the Data wire to the cluster if the car isn't already equipped with a TC.

You have to use pin #14 otherwise it won't wake up.

Just a thought, but have you checked Both globes as you'll get nothing if the main is Kaput.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]