Fordmods Logo

Diagnostic / Police modes on BA's? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Diagnostic / Police modes on BA's?
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Arethere any cool modes i can access, or look at on a BA? Its a 6cyl fairmont ghia?

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

nah, unless you have a mate at ford, they can enable police mode (nuthing special, just digital speed etc)

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

or unles syou have your own pds or wds!

Hopefully in the not too distant future our propeller head lukeyson will be able to sniff out all the codes using the can bus converter to a laptop

Nicko

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Awe shucks.

Actually, I'm curious now exactly what the Police mode diasbles on the Cluster.

Maybe xpression knows what bits get turned on and off? I'll have a quick look.

I'm specifically interested in what happens to High Level cars when Police Mode is enabled on the cluster. Since all the stuff appears on the ICC, does this even work on High Series (Dual Zone) cars?

There are different interior 'courtesy light' modes as well, and one of them is called 'Police'.

I'll take a squizz of Mr WS Manual and see if I can glean exactly what they are.

But yes, we are trying to get our own temporary access to a 'tool' so that we can sniff the OBD2 commands in the hopes of replicating them.

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, I was confused.

There are three possible 'trip' buttons.

The one IN the cluster is for setting the ODO/Trip A/Trip B on the right LCD.

The Trip on the Cluster Binnacle is for setting the Range/Avg L/100/Inst L/100 etc on the left LCD.

The Trip on the ICC in high models is for setting the Range/Avg L/100/INst L/100 on the colour screen.

When in Police mode, ONLY the RHS LCD Trip is affected - in that Trip A and Trip B is not available, the LCD is converted to a digital speed readout, and the ODO can be viewed when the car is off.

Apparently the speed can be frozen by pressing and holding the Illumination Level button on the cluster binnacle. Probably to try and catch speeders when level pegging.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i was actually questioning the police mode question on a high series cluster myself the other day. I might grab a random used car and try it next time i get a chance. It disables all the trip computer functions inside the cluster, leaving D.T.E. and trip metre on the left hand side lcd screen as well as gear selection, and it has digital speed on the right hand side.

I believe the police mode on interior lights turns off the interior lamps coming on when opening the door, but they can beswitched on/off with the button on the ICC

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:

When in Police mode, ONLY the RHS LCD Trip is affected - in that Trip A and Trip B is not available, the LCD is converted to a digital speed readout, and the ODO can be viewed when the car is off.

Lukeyson

not quite true, the LHS LCD has the trip functions disabled, and has Range/dte and trip metre only displayed on it, and the RHS LCD has digital speed which can be frozen as you said, using the button labled "trip"

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, I'm hoping the Police Mode on high series cluster will just affect the RH LCD display in the cluster, and leave the ICC stuff intact.

But I'm still not clear on what is disabled on the LH LCD on low series. I thought Trip A and Trip B were on the RH LCD? of all the modes, which ones become unavailable on the Cluster and/or ICC (I appreciate you're yet to get an answer on the high-series IC/ICC question):

Range/DTE
Inst Fuel
Avg Fuel
Avg Speed
Travel Time

I think the Police Mode for the courtesy lights/battery saver lights, however, is something different as it is programmed in the BEM and is one of the BEM personalities. Like Taxi Mode, it also has an affect on the operation of the door locks.

Question is, in the IDS/WDS, do you set IC Police Mode and BEM Police Modes separately, or do you select 'Police Mode' which then sets both modules at once?

There's some more homework for you xpression!

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Re: the 'Speed Lock' bit and the dimmer light, it's this thread on FF that I got that from:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... olice+mode

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

whats taxi mode do?

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
But I'm still not clear on what is disabled on the LH LCD on low series. I thought Trip A and Trip B were on the RH LCD?

they are, but when police mode is enabled the trip metre moves to the LH LCD, and there is only one trip metre. You toggle between the DTE and trip metre on this screen using the reset button (#26 in the pic)

Lukeyson wrote:
of all the modes, which ones become unavailable on the Cluster and/or ICC (I appreciate you're yet to get an answer on the high-series IC/ICC question):

Range/DTE
Inst Fuel
Avg Fuel
Avg Speed
Travel Time

The only of the above which remains in the LHS which remains is the Range/DTE function. All the others are gone in a low series car.

Lukeyson wrote:
Question is, in the IDS/WDS, do you set IC Police Mode and BEM Police Modes separately, or do you select 'Police Mode' which then sets both modules at once?

individually. hopefully tomorrow ill get a chance to have a play with a fairmont/ghia

the button which freezes the speedo with police mode enabled is the "TRIP" button (#17)

looking at the 2nd pic, it appears high series cars might not have the correct screen to display trip.dte as they carry gear selected and vehicle diagram on that screen.

Attachments:
File comment: high series cluster
bahigh.gif
bahigh.gif [ 82.91 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
File comment: low series cluster
balow.gif
balow.gif [ 88.54 KiB | Viewed 530 times ]

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

in police mode, the warning lights or indicator flashes are disabled when you lock and unlock the car with the key fob. usually the interior light is disabled under normal circumstances, so you can use a radar or what not and not be seen when the door is open. there are a few other things, but am yet to see.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I've done this on a high-series.

All of the DTE, Inst Econ, Avg Econ, Avg Speed stuff is unchanged on the ICC. All of the normal changes apply on the high series cluster - DTE stays, Trip A shifts to left LCD, Right LCD shows Digital Speedo and Speed Capture.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

Nicko wrote:
or unles syou have your own pds or wds!

just out of curiosity how much would these cost

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The software is free. The 'VCM' which is essentially a Ford Proprietary Scantool, is about $3000USD.

But there's a $300 tool called the Mongoose CAN/ISO from Drewtech that works with a cut down version of the Ford software, and you can pay for that software for about $60USD per month of there abouts.

Unless you're able to hack the software to work, which I'm not saying is not impossible.....;-)

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next