Dimmer switch? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Dimmer switch?
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

NSW, Australia

I have an ED fairmont and an EB XR8 and was curious if the hi-series headlight switch(with dashlight dimmer) from the fairmont will work in the XR8? The XR has factory electric windows, trip computer and footwell lights so I'm assuming it has the hi-series BEM/BCM, will have to check colour though.

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Post subject: Re: Dimmer switch?
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Trip computer and electric windows are independent of the BEM... That is they work no matter which BEM you have and can be installed into a lower series very easily... Footwell lights I'm not sure about... Not sure how they're wired in...

As far as I'm aware there was only ever one type of headlight switch in EA-ED... Done GLi's, done Futura's, Done Fairmont's, Done LTD's, etc etc...

The EF/EL definitely has two different switches... One for low series and one for high series... Low series clicks in 2 positions (dull and bright) while the high series you hold up and the dash gets brighter and brighter and you let it return to middle when your happy... Or vice versa you hold it down and it gets dimmer and dimmer until your happy and then release and it returns to middle...

Never seen this type used in a high series EB or ED though?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
As far as I'm aware there was only ever one type of headlight switch in EA-ED... Done GLi's, done Futura's, Done Fairmont's, Done LTD's, etc etc...

The EF/EL definitely has two different switches... One for low series and one for high series... Low series clicks in 2 positions (dull and bright) while the high series you hold up and the dash gets brighter and brighter and you let it return to middle when your happy... Or vice versa you hold it down and it gets dimmer and dimmer until your happy and then release and it returns to middle...

Never seen this type used in a high series EB or ED though?

EA-ED had the same sort of heatlight switches as the EF/EL. The low models had a high and low light setting and interior lights on. The high end models had an adjustable dimmer and interior lights on.

Same as the EF/EL but it just looks a little bit different.

blueblood wrote:
I have an ED fairmont and an EB XR8 and was curious if the hi-series headlight switch(with dashlight dimmer) from the fairmont will work in the XR8? The XR has factory electric windows, trip computer and footwell lights so I'm assuming it has the hi-series BEM/BCM, will have to check colour though.

It wouldn't be the high-end BCM. As TimmyA said, the trip computer etc is independent of the BCM.

It's possible to install one but I'm not sure if the wiring loom is hugely different, I don't know that the low or sports clusters work either as the digital clusters don't work in low model cars.

Are you wrecking the Fairmont? If so you could swap the wiring looms and computers over. does your EB have Smartlock?

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yeh I'd never seen the 2 stage switch either having only owned a fairmont and a ghia before, but the EBXR has it. Just unsure how easily they swap.

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The EBXR has the same (sports) cluster as my fairmont and both are smartlock. Not wrecking the mont, rather sell it.

Quote:
It wouldn't be the high-end BCM. As TimmyA said, the trip computer etc is independent of the BCM.

It's possible to install one but I'm not sure if the wiring loom is hugely different, I don't know that the low or sports clusters work either as the digital clusters don't work in low model cars.

Are you wrecking the Fairmont? If so you could swap the wiring looms and computers over. does your EB have Smartlock?

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Trip computer and electric windows are independent of the BEM... That is they work no matter which BEM you have and can be installed into a lower series very easily...

Is that the same for the EF EL trip computer?? I brought one and its not working just yet. The bloke is trying to tell me that its the wrong BCM to run it. I already have in a EF GLI with one fitted from factory, i tried the new one in that car and still it don't work.

I want to put it in a EL GLI, Any help would be great...
I'll get the unit tested today to make its all good

Cheers Tom

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Same for EF/EL...

Read the tech docs section on how to wire it in...

You'll need to run other wises including a speed sense wire, data wire from the inst cluster and possibly more...

http://fordmods.com/documents.php?d=32

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]