Post subject: Door Lock Buttons and Door Ajar Sensor Issue
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hello fellas,

Two questions:

1)I took my door lock buttons off to get the door trims off, how do i put them back on? I have tried a few things like pulling the little plastic insert out of them a little then sliding onto the plastic rod, push them down, however they always stick up a bit more than they should. There must be a trick to these.

2)The door ajar indicator light in my cluster is constantly flashing open/close (not solid red like it should be), doesn't matter if the door is open or closed. I thought it may have been a pinched wire or a crook sensor, but if it was a pinched wire, the door ajar would be a solid indicator, not flashing? I took the door sensor out but the indicator still flashes....

When i connect the sensor it sparks upon contact with the car body. (screwing back into the door frame) It's annoying me as i think it's tripping my alarm, most nights and occasionally random times of the day, the alarm will go off (possibly slight voltage loss?).

Cheers.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Post subject: Re: Door Lock Buttons and Door Ajar Sensor Issue
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

With the snipper down, try tapping the button to seat it.

The door ajar goes to earth, and the other line goes to the cluster. Flapping door indication means open cct in either or both lines. Normally the sensor is 180 ohm door closed, 1380 ohms door open. Sounds like there is a short over onto the courtesy light line.
Check the usual suspect areas, near hinges, rear doors the conduit area near the hinges, etc.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

With the door ajar sensor.. are you checking the right one? - its not the one on the body. The door ajar sensor is a small switch clipped onto the lock mechanism in the door. You might need to look there.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

As snap said... get in the car... lock the doors...

Pull the insert as far out as possible of the lock button... gently wriggle it as far down as possible without collapsing it (sits about unlocked height) then press down and collapse it... that's the lowest possible it will go...

as for the door agar... you got something either unplugged or broken somewhere... because the cluster flashes open to closed when it doesn't know where the doors are... so you've lost the resistance input from the sensor...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's a good pickup - didn't read the bit about the car body - door ajar clips into the door lock as mentioned. Problem is in the front doors ??
If your car is a DC as in your profile, you'll have the illuminating key surrounds in the front doors ???
These are tied in with the courtesy lights, so check that - with an alarm armed, lift the door handle and the alarm will go off (courtesy light activation).
Door ajar sounds like the plug is disconnected (halfway along the inside door).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nigel wrote:
With the door ajar sensor.. are you checking the right one? - its not the one on the body. The door ajar sensor is a small switch clipped onto the lock mechanism in the door. You might need to look there.

Nigel

Well, you learn something everyday! I had no idea there was another sensor, I'll be checking that one tomorrow.

snap0964 wrote:
With the snipper down, try tapping the button to seat it.

The door ajar goes to earth, and the other line goes to the cluster. Flapping door indication means open cct in either or both lines. Normally the sensor is 180 ohm door closed, 1380 ohms door open. Sounds like there is a short over onto the courtesy light line.
Check the usual suspect areas, near hinges, rear doors the conduit area near the hinges, etc.

I traced the wire under the carpet but it's all fine, i even pulled it out of the door but no problems either, i had no idea there were two lines, now i do i'll be checking the door sensor.

timmytimtim wrote:
As snap said... get in the car... lock the doors...

Pull the insert as far out as possible of the lock button... gently wriggle it as far down as possible without collapsing it (sits about unlocked height) then press down and collapse it... that's the lowest possible it will go...

as for the door agar... you got something either unplugged or broken somewhere... because the cluster flashes open to closed when it doesn't know where the doors are... so you've lost the resistance input from the sensor...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for that info, will finally be able to put my locks back on tonight! Now that i know there is a sensor in the door, I'll check that, if it's still plugged in, i assume it's cooked and i'll be needing a new one.

snap0964 wrote:
That's a good pickup - didn't read the bit about the car body - door ajar clips into the door lock as mentioned. Problem is in the front doors ??
If your car is a DC as in your profile, you'll have the illuminating key surrounds in the front doors ???
These are tied in with the courtesy lights, so check that - with an alarm armed, lift the door handle and the alarm will go off (courtesy light activation).
Door ajar sounds like the plug is disconnected (halfway along the inside door).

Yep my car is a DC, the courtesy lights still activate and trigger the alarm, i haven't tried the rear doors.

Cheers for the info guys, very much appreciated, will check back in when i see how i get on!

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You can fix the courtesy light triggers my alarm problem fairly easily.

Takes 2 diodes : or 1. Depends on how you do it.

If you run a seperate new wire around the body to the Door Courtesy light switches (only). So all 4 of them are connected to the switched to ground wire. Run this wire to both the Alarm, and also to a Diode (I used an 1N4004 so I didnt have to worry about current).

Other side of the Diode goes to the old Door switch wire (only 1 of them). that effectively isolates the Door Switches from the Door Light Circuit and Courtesy light, so that the Outer door handles wont set them off (and it also bypasses the door delay circuit as well).

I cant remember which way around the diode goes, but it will only work one way. Sorry, no diagrams but it does work (did it to my EB 13 years ago)

Nigel

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

IIRC the power for the key illumination probably comes off the door actuator power (yellow wire).
The Earth goes through the courtesy lines (black/blue), so you can cut this line and tape it, and splice the handle switch line to the black earth line inside the door.
This way you lift the handle, light comes on, but interior lights won't come on til you open the door, so your alarm SHOULD?? not go off when the handle is lifted, provided the alarm only uses courtesy light trigger, and no voltage trigger.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, i unplugged everything in the door today and it still does it, so i assume there is a wire shorting out somewhere under the carpet?

I also noticed that my fuel door indicator is illuminated also, but it's shut.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Have you removed the dash? - any chance you didnt put that connector on the dash properly?

Nigel

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nigel wrote:
Have you removed the dash? - any chance you didnt put that connector on the dash properly?

Nigel

I've removed the dash (cluster) several times to do a range of things, the door ajar light has been like this since i got the car 5 years ago. I'll pull the dash out again and check the plugs i think, man what a pain the a**.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'll swap you ;). im putting that dash into an XF.... and Im going to have to do something different about the door sensors

nigel

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nigel wrote:
I'll swap you ;). im putting that dash into an XF.... and Im going to have to do something different about the door sensors

nigel

Who would want to use this dash for anything!? It's the ugliest cluster Ive ever seen. The only reason i still have it is i think the digital odometer is cool compared to every other cars analogue rotating dial type odometer. The mix of digital and analogue is just not right.

Plus there is the factor i can't be stuffed changing to the mid series cluster :P

If you are in need of one, i do have an extra here that i was going to chop up for parts so i could create some custom backgrounds and save the V8 tach parts for the future mid series upgrade.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Funny!. This is for my toy - and I wanted the digital speedo. I dont mind the rest of the dash, although i am thinking of changing the "door open" sensors out for a Digital Gear Indicator.

I have a whole spare dash as well ;). Well underway to the XF

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nigel wrote:
i am thinking of changing the "door open" sensors out for a Digital Gear Indicator.

Now that would be sweet! What a great idea, would look pretty awesome too!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next